News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:33PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 293
Total: 296

Double Time on Sunday... uh oh

Started by sufRu, 14-01-16, 08:51PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mozzer

Yes like it or f@@@ off   there are just  over 3million immigrants come to UK in the last 20 years it was in the papers today they will gladly take our jobs tesco would love this as it hs been said before loyalty mean jack

bugsbunny

Has anyone done anything about this yet ie put in a grievance, put in a complaint to pesonnell? or are you all just moaning amongst yourself and doing nothing. If this is the case don't expect anything to change. It will only change if you shout loud enough and complain.

the-vortex

@weebee, you didn't necessarily vote for the Partnership Agreement  I didn't vote for this government of cardsharps but I have no choice. For the past 20 years you and others have accepted the benefits that it has bought and haven't done anything about the detriment to new joiners who progressively got worse and worse terms of employment whilst you kept weekday overtime premiums, Sunday double time, sick pay from day one, fully voluntary Bank Holiday working and took the payrises that were contingent on those reductions. Those new joiners are now in the majority (85% to 15%)

"Cluck cluck" is that the sound of chickens on their way back home?
Loyalty is a one-way street!

weebee

You are right about newer staff on different benefits and rates , in reality thats were the so called Union should have stood up to Tesco but no they didnt , am i supposed to feel guilty about having paid sick from day 1? Double time on sundays etc not my fault people join Tesco knowing that others have better benefits than them

melanie

I am in the process this week of submitting a grievance letter to the company and usdaw about the disgust myself and my fellow colleagues feel about this unfair cut in pay.People say quote,whats the point? It will not get you anywhere. Unquote,it may not however it will make me happier to know i have a t least tried what else can i do? Doing nowt ain't an option.My tip is once this 12 week higher rate holiday pay deal comes in get as much out of tosco as you can bang in the overtime (if there is any),any screw as much out of them as possible. >:D >:(

instorebakery

I would actually like to start a campaign to get premium pay for Saturdays and not just on Sundays.

Its unfair to work a Saturday which is classed as unsociable hours, at normal rate. I would argue that schools are closed on both Saturday's and Sunday's and they are both days where families should be able to spend quality time together. Hence, that if people work on such days they should be paid at a premium rate = to make it worthwhile.

kaled78

No chance sat premium was sc**pped years ago, we were forced out of it with no choice in the end, despite me refusing a buyout for a few years before.  Again USDAW failed us.

Redshoes

Saturday is the busiest day of the week. It takes the most money and requires more staff in. Saturday being special and getting a premium is never going to happen. We had it once, a very long time ago but even then not everybody had it. It was only given to full-timers who were contracted to Saturday's.
If you take a job in retail I think you should be realistic about working weekends, during the busiest trading times.
I have done nearly 25 years and I will no longer get double time but I hardly ever work Sunday's as I don't want to work 6 days a week. I would like them contracted, even with less pay as it would suit me to have two days off in the week. I am not so sure I would be that much worse off anyway, the extra tax, national insurance and pension paid when I do works Sunday's leaves me worse off than someone on time and a half anyway.

claden

Anyone advice me about taking out a grievance, where do I get a grievance form? What do I say on the form? Who do I return the form to and can it be a group grievance ie all those affected staff and would they have to have their names on the form? Would appreciate as much help in this as possible.

And I've emailed the Labour MP unfortunately I don't live in her constituency so I don't think she would be able to 'help' me personally or is she just trying to get an idea of how many are affected?

[gmod]how do I put greavance in ?[/gmod]

daftjoe

Quote from: ilikeabeer on 19-02-16, 05:27AM
I am in the process this week of submitting a grievance letter to the company and usdaw about the disgust myself and my fellow colleagues feel about this unfair cut in pay.People say quote,whats the point? It will not get you anywhere. Unquote,it may not however it will make me happier to know i have a t least tried what else can i do? Doing nowt ain't an option.My tip is once this 12 week higher rate holiday pay deal comes in get as much out of tosco as you can bang in the overtime (if there is any),any screw as much out of them as possible. >:D >:(

Glad to hear that Ilikeabeer. We have done the same at out store and are waiting for a response from group personnel and Uspoor. Have a look at my earlier post with the link to the MP who has taken an interest. It might be worth you contacting her too.

formerscoboy

Quote from: Miss Piggy on 19-02-16, 07:10AM
I would actually like to start a campaign to get premium pay for Sat*rdays and not just on Sundays.

Its unfair to work a Sat*rday which is classed as unsociable hours, at normal rate. I would argue that schools are closed on both Sat*rday's and Sunday's and they are both days where families should be able to spend quality time together. Hence, that if people work on such days they should be paid at a premium rate = to make it worthwhile.

Don't work in retail then! Anyone knows shops are busiest on a Saturday, getting a job in retail means working weekends.

bugsbunny

How about we all email Alison Horner the chief people officer for T**co uk operations her email address is alison.horner@uk.tesco.com    will pm be interested if you tell them that's what you are doing then?

the-vortex

Quote from: Miss Piggy on 19-02-16, 07:10AMIts unfair to work a Sat*rday which is classed as unsociable hours, at normal rate. I would argue that schools are closed on both Sat*rdays and Sundays

Get a job in a school then. Oh, by the way they've not had a payrise for many years.

or alternatively we'll stop T*sco opening on Sundays and have half day closing on Wednesday. Just like it was in the "good old days".

We are in 2016 not stuck in 1956 FFS!
Loyalty is a one-way street!

Mozzer

Miss piggy what planet are you from ,you obviously didn't do any research before going into retail,or is it that you took part time work to fit in between the kids school hours?

Nomad

1.5x for Sat, x2 for Sun, never worked for less and nor would I.  Not all progress/change is for the betterment of all (or even the majority).
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Duracell

To be fair, it breads contempt when decision makers dictate a business need, to work unsociable hours at normal rates, when realisticly they wouldn't do it themselves.

Quite ironic how salaried staff work day shifts Monday to Friday.

Then you have "accountable" staff to are expected to live and breath " the business" have really high salaries.

Ask yourself, if It you are expected to work the weekend, shouldn't you have the full range of employement support too.
Not having to wait till Monday when your pay is wrong.
IT issues being planned for when you are not there (in the week)as you work weekends.

Departments covering 24/7 yet the manager and support network for that department doesn't, they work bank hours.

Everyone works for T**** Stores  ;)

The Business operates 24/7 so all of it should.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

mexicopete

It's called the " The Animal Farm" effect Duracell. All people are equal but some are more equal than others. ;) ;) ;) ;)
The worlds me lobster

instorebakery

Quote from: Mozzer on 20-02-16, 06:00AM
Miss piggy what planet are you from ,you obviously didn't do any research before going into retail,or is it that you took part time work to fit in between the kids school hours?

mmmmm, So what you are saying is that "out of the blue" a large corporation can scrap premium rates for Sunday workers. But employees, "out of the blue" can't protest for premium rates on a Saturday?

The trouble with you is that you are weak. In fact, if it was left to you Tesco would have Syrian refugees working for 50p an hour stacking the shelves.

You have to play them at their own game, stand up and be strong, don't be pushed around. The demise of premium rates on Sunday = today, will be the demise of something else tomorrow. We live in a capitalist World.

If every Tesco worker stood their ground, stood together to this large(greedy) corporation, we would stand a chance. Do I want premium rate for Saturday? Yes. Do Tesco's want you to work for peanuts? Yes.

Red Rock

Miss Piggy,

Your comments about Syrian refugees is unwarranted and you should know they wouldn't be allowed to work in the UK as refugees aren't permitted to work.  So anymore remarks about fellow collegues being weak, then I will have to take you to make a meal out of you LOL; sausages are my favourite! 

Redshoes

Quote from: Miss Piggy on 20-02-16, 10:17PM
Quote from: Mozzer on 20-02-16, 06:00AM

mmmmm, So what you are saying is that "out of the blue" a large corporation can sc**p premium rates for Sunday workers. But employees, "out of the blue" can't protest for premium rates on a Sat*rday?

The trouble with you is that you are weak. In fact, if it was left to you Tesco would have Syrian refugees working for 50p an hour stacking the shelves.

You have to play them at their own game, stand up and be strong, don't be pushed around. The demise of premium rates on Sunday = today, will be the demise of something else tomorrow. We live in a capitalist World.

If every Tesco worker stood their ground, stood together to this large(greedy) corporation, we would stand a chance. Do I want premium rate for Sat*rday? Yes. Do Tesco's want you to work for peanuts? Yes.

I think that when you fight for something you need to pick your battles. The sat premium is outdated, it's not the way things are going not only in retail but in other sectors too. When we did have it many years ago it was not given to all anyway, only to those who were full time and worked sat so the store I worked in gave the full timers sat day off to avoid paying the premium.
When I had young children many years ago I worked evenings and weekends, as did most with children. This was the norm as we had husbands to take over the childcare when we came to work. The demand is now for people with children to have weekends off and work school hours so the people of my generation are still left with weekends and evenings because of this. I have worked with people who pay so much in childcare that they work for nothing during school holidays.
As with everything else, it's a fine balance. Circumstances are different, times have changed. Things move on. When people are undergoing changes due to night shift being removed from some stores, Sunday premium no longer being paid, the change to twilight premium I don't think we should battle for the outdated sat premium. I think we should battle to keep Christmas special. Other retailers have lost free tea and coffee in canteen, we need to keep this. Some stores have very poor canteens and the service for the night team in the canteen can often be even worse, we need to fight for this too. Some equipment is out of date and needs a good refresh, we are very limited with what we can order due to costs but we need the tools to do the job. I'm just saying I think there are better things to fight for.

VladPutin

Quote from: the-vortex on 19-02-16, 11:43PM
Quote from: Miss Piggy on 19-02-16, 07:10AMIts unfair to work a Sat*rday which is classed as unsociable hours, at normal rate. I would argue that schools are closed on both Sat*rdays and Sundays

Get a job in a school then. Oh, by the way they've not had a payrise for many years.

or alternatively we'll stop T*sco opening on Sundays and have half day closing on Wednesday. Just like it was in the "good old days".

We are in 2016 not stuck in 1956 FFS!

But their starting salary is far higher than most GA's, and they get twice as many holidays. ;)

Duracell

I don't think the point is a comparison with schools.
I don't think the point is even a comparison with other retailers.

The point for me is the principle of "turning the business around", if that's the ethos then lets ALL, make some sacrifices.

Dictating others need to change and make sacrafices when you are not prepared to even entertain the notion or lead by example then "Jog on".

The captain of our ship, has the opinion (because he stated so in the pension Q&A's) his terms are his terms, as if they are "protected". Wasn't open to discussion.

Remember when there are calls from the top table for contractual cuts.
DL and his team can fail to turn the business around and still walk away from the company with millions of £'s, which would mean they ( in the real world ) wouldn't have to work again.

Needs of the Business!!!
You take a hit then!!!
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

VladPutin

My comment about teachers was(mostly)tongue in cheek. As for the rest of your statement: preaching to the choir, my man. Preaching to the choir.

weebee

Just a thought, doing away with sunday double time in stores but not in distribution is that not discrimination as we all work for same employers

bugsbunny

That's an interesting one weebee do you know this to be true?
Has anyone got a copy of the 1994 Sunday working Addendum England and Wales.( this is an add on to your contract) if you have not got it ask your PM for a copy of it. The document no/ref is RP7025/7/94  It clearly says on this document that hours worked on sunday will be paid at twice your normal hourly rate of pay.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk