Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 06:17PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,117
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

All holidays to be put in by April

Started by Vinny1985, 17-02-21, 11:32PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grim up north

I dont think anyone has a problem with mutually agreed changes. The point I think that was being made was if debbie was flying on saturday to spain and came to work friday with a sombrero on, then the manager took her in the office to say her hols were cancelled cos 'maureen's goldfish has died so we're short staffed' - would cause some serious upset

Nomad

grim up north you've put it better than I.  I was concerned the initial response was "MM can withdraw holidays" no mention was made of "with mutual consent".

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Morris999

And what’s to stop me doing that right now on Hram?
Absolutely nothing, and if Debbie is unfortunate enough to have lost her confirmation slip, it can be made that there’s no evidence whatsoever of her even requesting the date, never mind it ever being authorised.

At least with work and pay there will be an electronic paper trail to protect Debbie, there’s nothing to protect her currently if she’s unfortunately enough to have lost her confirmation slip, and even then I’ve known managers to say that’s not their handwriting.

Yes holidays should only be cancelled with mutual consent, but we both know managers have cancelled them in the past without this, just like we both know that colleagues have turned up for shifts and clocked in deliberately when they should be on holiday so they can have it somewhere else.

Trust works both ways with this, and with 2 decades with the company I’ve seen managers and colleagues use every trick in the book and then some with holidays.

Work & Pay won’t be perfect or without issues, but at least it will be a more open and transparent way of doing things which is what colleagues keep saying they want.

I know lots of managers and colleagues are happy to stick with Hram and have lots of hours for wage clerks instore as it saves them doing the work, even though it’s out dated, has lots of issues and some wages clerks seem to think they own colleagues wages themselves.

We cannot pick and choose what part of the managers role we want them to do, just because it suits us for whatever reason.

Nomad

My hope was that on W&P the software logs the date & time of all actions and by whom, and that that log is tamper proof.  Absolutely no reason why it cannot be done, it creates safety for staff and MM from false accusations.

Any change/cancellation requires MM and staff member to enter their own password or PIN.

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

whatajoke2019

Completely agree Nomad.

Can't say too much other than I had a couple of weeks holiday left to book. Booked, in front of me, with someone other than my Line Manager and used my remaining hours (Line Manager was off work at the time for a short period of time and didn't want to miss out).

Just double checking something earlier on today and someone's taken to removing one week that's coming up without talking to me first...  ???

Redshoes

Are you talking about holiday before end of March? Resulting in holidays un-booked.
If days have been removed there is not a lot of holiday year left to re-book. Could it be that domestic time off has been taken earlier in the year. This should be agreed between you and manager but when not agreed at time of ruining it these days are often taken off end of year holidays so it can go through the wages system. It should then be talked through when you come back and if this holiday is required it can be changed. Holidays in these circumstances can be removed and rebooked by the wages clerk. They need to cancel a holiday if fully booked and if taking hols for domestic time off by doing this it prevents you being unpaid.
Have you made a lot of changes to holidays?  We can do this, nothing wrong with it but the more times you touch/amend things the greater the chance that mistakes will be made, either by wages or manager, or even yourself.

whatajoke2019

Hello Redshoes,

Yes it's time off during March; and the week in question is well within the time frame of the 2020/21 holiday window.

Haven't made a lot of changes to my holidays and now we're on W&P when I booked them with a manager they went through absolutely fine and were still showing online until Friday. Department hasn't got too many people off at the time, just me.

And I haven't used all of my holidays, without giving too much away, I even had a couple of hours left over after all of the weeks I'd requested had been processed and submitted.

Thanks for your help though  :thumbup:

Redshoes

Could it be a error in the system. That’s why there is a trail just now. It won’t remove errors but might minimise them before it goes to all stores. It sounds like it’s possibly more to do with the system to me. As you say it is booking by hours. It’s a problem if not fully booked and not much holiday year left so I think it’s unlikely to have been cancelled deliberately by someone in store.

forrestgimp

Morris speaks the truth, I have been saved numerous times by keeping my holiday slips safein a draw at home ready to be pulled out when needed, more often than not because although agreed my holiday was not entered into the system.

Never had an argument it was just. Ok no worries we forgot see when you get back.

DHardy

Hey guys first time posting but have been a guest for quite a while ☺

Can somone tell me how to create my own post?
Can't seem to find it 🤷‍â™,️ and don't want to hijack this haha

Thanks

[mod]Ref: starting new topic. Please read VLH Supporter Benefits[/mod]

Rad

You have to become a supporter.  For a very small fee.

Redshoes

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 21-02-21, 08:46AM
Hello Redshoes,

Yes it's time off during March; and the week in question is well within the time frame of the 2020/21 holiday window.

Haven't made a lot of changes to my holidays and now we're on W&P when I booked them with a manager they went through absolutely fine and were still showing online until Friday. Department hasn't got too many people off at the time, just me.

And I haven't used all of my holidays, without giving too much away, I even had a couple of hours left over after all of the weeks I'd requested had been processed and submitted.

Thanks for your help though  :thumbup:

Strange thing, yesterday wages clerk said to me “there is something odd going on here. I have had a few managers come to me and ask me about days being cancelled. I can remember putting them in but for some reason they did not stay in the system”. She said she was getting a hard time from some managers about it and colleagues were confused as had thought booked.

biggguy

Would love a manager to try and cancel my hols without my consent, would be career busting mistake lol. Once I've booked my hols they don't change, but I know some colleagues that chop and change constantly and these are the ones that are going to cause issues

Welshie

Big guy, that's great for you , I can only imagine you dont have family with health issues, young kids and have a home where nothing ever breaks . For the normal people some do need to change the odd days holiday because sometimes in life things happen . Personally i've changed more holidays this year than in my many many years in Tesco put together , that due to family illness , thankfully I've an understanding team manager and store manager. 

biggguy

Get what you saying Welshie I'm not getting at those that need to change for family reasons ,it's those that want to change constantly just because they NEED a holiday, and i do have a son with health issues at home

whatajoke2019

Red Shoes,

When I'm next at work I'll see if our wonderful wages clerk can shed any light for me-my "annoyance" is directed at someone who I suspect has pulled a stunt, hoping I wouldn't notice, if my suspicions are correct.

However I would seek hard evidence first before charging in, guns blazing.

Trufight3r

Quote from: helpme on 18-02-21, 05:07PM
Policy is 75% has to be booked now and the remaining days by the end of September.

https://colleague-help.ourtesco.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001330786-Holiday-for-colleagues-on-the-Work-Pay-Payroll-System-Full-Policy-and-Supporting-Documents

Hi, haven’t posted in a long time but this post caught my attention as it relates to something I’m curious about.

I’ve never had a problem booking my holidays however my managers now stating that 75% of holidays must be booked and taken by 31st October. I don’t agree with this but maybe I’m wrong.

The policy states “ As a guideline, 75% of your holiday and bank holiday should be taken between 1st April and 31st October, with the balance being taken between 1st November and 31st March”

The wording was changed to as a guideline and I do believe it’s not mandatory that I have to. I always like to take half my holidays after January and never been an issue.

Is this the case or is my manager right that I must take 75% of my holidays before 31st October?

Apologies if it’s unrelated to the post at hand thanks.

Redshoes

I would say that it comes down to your individual dept. If others can also fit in days remaining I don’t see that it’s an issue. If there with ou taking up so much time in the new year that it some weeks are over booked then that does become an issue. It also means your holidays are not evenly spread throughout the year and again, if this is not an issue that’s fine but if your were off sick and generally run down the evenly spreads of holidays may help.
I know of somebody who goes to Canada every year after Christmas. They take three weeks. It’s not an issue as it’s a small dept and they are not preventing others.
Some managers keep light weeks inThe new year to allow holidays to be rebooked for people who have been off long term and absent during holidays. This is to support areas that have a higher level of colleagues with health issues. Checkouts tends to be one as people tend to drift towards checkouts when they can no longer work on shop floor.
There is not a black and white answer but there are not enough weeks left in the new year for the majority to hold back holidays. Only one or two at most. It’s basic maths.

Trufight3r

Hey there,

Of course it’s not an issue in terms of being overbooked etc. I also compromise on that if needed.

I’m merely asking that I’m correct in assuming by the  letter of the Tesco law it’s not mandatory that I have to take 75% by 31st October. It’s just a guideline but not compulsory right?

fatboy

Quick question. I'm trying to book my holidays for 2021/22 & my manager is telling me that all my holidays have to be booked in full weeks. Is this true? Thanks

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

fatboy

Anywhere where I can view the policy Nomad?

Rad

Quote from: fatboy on 25-02-21, 07:47PM
Quick question. I'm trying to book my holidays for 2021/22 & my manager is telling me that all my holidays have to be booked in full weeks. Is this true? Thanks
Holiday policy is on colleague help. Majority should be in full weeks to allow colleagues to get their requests during peak times. As its in the policy now thats what they'll be referring to.  What the majority  means is might ge open to interpretation.  More than half id say. Then request the rest as odd days and there would be no comeback.

londoner83

If you are on work and pay you now request holiday in hours and part of the reason the company gives for the change is to allow greater flexibility for colleagues when it comes to holiday bookings. In theory you can now book multiple half days or even odd hours off.

There is no reason for you to have to book full weeks off, however you shouldn't try and play the system by booking for example 25 Saturdays off on a area with few staff, which would effectively stop anyone else having a full week off.

As with everything speak to your manager and explain why you need the time off and I'm sure most with try and accommodate your needs.

Welshie

Is the new holidays by  hours a sign that soon we wont be paid for hospital appointments.  As you can book a hour or 2 off for appointment?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk