Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 01:38PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,427
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 535
Total: 538

Bad words and the social media policy

Started by surlaroute, 10-09-23, 11:20PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surlaroute

I'm probably getting fired next week because I sent an e-mail to Ken (which he never read) about a letter he signed (that he definitely didn't sign off on personally) accompanying my 25 year service award, the £360 gift card, which in my case didn't work first time. I was angry because I tried to use it for my shopping as soon as I received it. After so many other failures (not limited to ordering a pride t-shirt 2 years ago, order cancelled as if the product never existed) I basically asked him "what the f***" is going on with someone who allows not only faulty gift cards but any gift card - which says on it "treat this like cash" - go out under his falsified signature, in the regular post (didn't have to sign for it). I'm not even surprised but, the point is in the title, anyone else been subjected to this utterly backwards policy? am I insane? cos in which case fine put me away.

madness

Lets be honest here and call a spade a spade. You sound like a nightmare employee.
You don't have to participate in all the little c**p the company does pro this pro that get involved etc but actively having a go at the top man is just stupid.

NightAndDay

The op has every right to be annoyed, but needs to go about it the right way, that is a candid conversation with your store manager about the issue, if it goes nowhere, then an email to your people partner.

Flying off the handle and taking extreme emotionally charged measures has rarely helped anyone.

surlaroute

Quote from: NightAndDay on 11-09-23, 12:37AMThe op has every right to be annoyed, but needs to go about it the right way, that is a candid conversation with your store manager about the issue, if it goes nowhere, then an email to your people partner.

Flying off the handle and taking extreme emotionally charged measures has rarely helped anyone.
but that's exactly what they're driving us to, old timers, exceedingly, and deliberately.

surlaroute

Quote from: madness on 10-09-23, 11:24PMLets be honest here and call a spade a spade. You sound like a nightmare employee.
You don't have to participate in all the little c**p the company does pro this pro that get involved etc but actively having a go at the top man is just stupid.
I wasn't the one who put my name on the letter.

surlaroute

Quote from: NightAndDay on 11-09-23, 12:37AMThe op has every right to be annoyed, but needs to go about it the right way, that is a candid conversation with your store manager about the issue, if it goes nowhere, then an email to your people partner.

ps. I took this to my manager at the first instance. cos I have got in trouble for this stuff before. they fobbed me off. And if I'm not wrong ,we don't have people partners anymore, very few stores do. I think I personally scared ours off. not because I'm a nightmare but because I won't take any s***.

lucgeo

You should still have a people partner who is assigned to your store? The people partners now cover a number of stores in the area, they should have an email address displayed on the notice board. Ask your manager for the contact name and email address if it isn't displayed.

It is very frustrating for older colleagues with long service to witness the slip shod way the company has declined. At one time this would have been seen as a serious error and thoroughly investigated! All long service rewards were sent through the internal mail system, and signed for by the recipient.

You suffered the embarrassment of having this card declined, in front of colleagues, whilst attempting to pay..."dignity at work"
You, as a shareholder and Tesco employee, are rightly questioning the issuing of high value gift cards, being sent without any record of receipt. "Your right to a voice"

If it had been intercepted and used, then the onus would be placed on you  to prove that it hadn't been used by you, once you questioned why you hadn't received it? Having your honesty being questioned and needing to prove your non involvement in the use of it...embarrassing for you..."dignity at work"

It was a mistake using the F...word in the email...in print! You could plead knee jerk reaction to the embarrassment of publicly having the card declined!

If you're going down...you go down fighting!!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

General Thorn

Why on earth was a gift card sent out regular post?

I remember my 15 year card was sent internal mail and I was presented with it. Even my 20 year award, no gift card just a crappy little badge and a pre signed card from Ken (thanks a lot, will treasure them for years to come), came internal mail.

penguin

Its a bit of a strange one with staff gift cards, sometimes sent out via royal mail to home addresses, other times sent via internal post. Why that is the case one can only wonder. In terms of the e-mail to Ken I can fully understand the OP's frustrations, but kicking off via e-mail however wound up you are tends to only go against you. When you say you think your going to be fired what gives you cause to think this, has an investigation taken place, have you since been asked to attend a disciplinary meeting, even if the CEO is involved due process still has to be followed in situations like this.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

FarmerFred

Email isn't "Social Media". Sacking for a single use of the F-Word would be a disproportionate response, particularly given the language I have heard senior managers & even directors use even on shop floor!

Happyguy

Quote from: surlaroute on 11-09-23, 01:20AM

ps. I took this to my manager at the first instance. cos I have got in trouble for this stuff before. they fobbed me off. And if I'm not wrong ,we don't have people partners anymore, very few stores do. I think I personally scared ours off. not because I'm a nightmare but because I won't take any s***.
To use your own style of vocabulary, you sound like a bit of a pr*ck to be honest.
If you worked alongside me you wouldn't need to be fired, I'd have ran you out of the store myself.
You've heard the phrase "empty vessels make the most noise" I imagine? 'Twas written about the likes of you.
Social media policy has nothing to do with it old chief. Using foul and abusive language to a colleague in any sort of official capacity - including petulant, immature, emails - is a summary dismissal offence.

Good riddance. 

General Thorn

Pots and kettles spring to mind when reading above post.

oldfashionedplayer

Agreed, whilst a email and using foul language may not of been the best approach, apologising can definitely save you in the circumstances, many people snap, could of just been a bad day or if its just one word / done through phone could put it down to a auto correct but accept responsibility still, end of the day, just have to accept responsibility with it that it was an out of the moment response with it...

Plenty have said far worse and still with the company... When you could comment on the ourtesco bit, there was a specific colleague that definitely gave a LOT of their "opinions", especially the language used at times and they are still with the company, so I think you should be good if you just apologize in regards to how you went about itans that should hopefully work in your favour.

Just ignore the pot calling the kettle managers etc, quite the hypocrisy being shown for the "vocabulary" and "immaturity".. Its definitely not needed   in any way.

surlaroute

Quote from: lucgeo on 11-09-23, 08:27AMYou should still have a people partner who is assigned to your store? The people partners now cover a number of stores in the area, they should have an email address displayed on the notice board. Ask your manager for the contact name and email address if it isn't displayed.

It is very frustrating for older colleagues with long service to witness the slip shod way the company has declined. At one time this would have been seen as a serious error and thoroughly investigated! All long service rewards were sent through the internal mail system, and signed for by the recipient.

You suffered the embarrassment of having this card declined, in front of colleagues, whilst attempting to pay..."dignity at work"
You, as a shareholder and Tesco employee, are rightly questioning the issuing of high value gift cards, being sent without any record of receipt. "Your right to a voice"

If it had been intercepted and used, then the onus would be placed on you  to prove that it hadn't been used by you, once you questioned why you hadn't received it? Having your honesty being questioned and needing to prove your non involvement in the use of it...embarrassing for you..."dignity at work"

It was a mistake using the F...word in the email...in print! You could plead knee jerk reaction to the embarrassment of publicly having the card declined!

this, and many other posts in this thread, are what I was looking for here to be honest. I don't know if it'll help because, like you say, the company has changed, but I hope I can beg towards whatever actual humanity remains in the people whose final decision it is. I know that I'm a good worker in every other area and I hope that stands for something. There is a lingering part of me that feels, if after stating this as my case, they still wanna get rid of me based on a naughty word, I'm not sure I wanna work for these people, even if that means my life is effectively over.

madness

Pointles being a martyr. You are only there to earn a wage in exchange for doing some work.
If something might benefit you ie picking up shift to cover a sickness call fine.
Lets be honest risking your job because you couldnt order a T shirt that about a subject the company only pretends to give a s*** about becuase enough of the people are making a song and dance about it is a stupid thing to do.

If you feel that bad about how the company is do something else.

lfcni1986

This happened me last week as well, card was not activated. Dropped an email to colleague help and the card was activated the next day.

Had to email career_celebration@tesco.com along with employee number, gift card number etc

surlaroute

Quote from: lfcni1986 on 12-09-23, 09:49PMThis happened me last week as well, card was not activated. Dropped an email to colleague help and the card was activated the next day.

Had to email career_celebration@tesco.com along with employee number, gift card number etc
yeh, it would help if they put that e-mail on the letter that comes with it. the manager I took the issue said "I'd be able to help if there was an e-mail address".

surlaroute

Quote from: madness on 12-09-23, 09:30PMPointles being a martyr. You are only there to earn a wage in exchange for doing some work.
If something might benefit you ie picking up shift to cover a sickness call fine.
Lets be honest risking your job because you couldnt order a T shirt that about a subject the company only pretends to give a s*** about becuase enough of the people are making a song and dance about it is a stupid thing to do.

If you feel that bad about how the company is do something else.
I mean, this is response is helpful too.

The Guvnor

Quote from: surlaroute on 10-09-23, 11:20PMI'm probably getting fired next week because I sent an e-mail to Ken (which he never read) about a letter he signed (that he definitely didn't sign off on personally) accompanying my 25 year service award, the £360 gift card, which in my case didn't work first time.
If you have had a disciplinary investigation, for which if you are a member of USDAW, you should have had a steward present with you, and the next stage is a final hearing and you are saying that you are probably "getting fired" then can I suggest you walk away by resignation rather than allow yourself to be dismissed? That way you have a clean record and your pension should remain intact. 25 years service is a lot to loose benefit wise.
The Guvnor

Dungivnatoss

surlaroute

Quote from: The Guvnor on 13-09-23, 03:53AM
Quote from: surlaroute on 10-09-23, 11:20PMI'm probably getting fired next week because I sent an e-mail to Ken (which he never read) about a letter he signed (that he definitely didn't sign off on personally) accompanying my 25 year service award, the £360 gift card, which in my case didn't work first time.
If you have had a disciplinary investigation, for which if you are a member of USDAW, you should have had a steward present with you, and the next stage is a final hearing and you are saying that you are probably "getting fired" then can I suggest you walk away by resignation rather than allow yourself to be dismissed? That way you have a clean record and your pension should remain intact. 25 years service is a lot to loose benefit wise.
this has occurred to me as an option this time around, without the USDAW presence that I've never taken. The "probably getting fired" part of this is, it's only a month or so since something similar (yet completely different and not half as extenuating - it's hard to explain without completely revealing myself here as if I haven't already, only to say, honestly, I don't do this all the time, it's just been a sh*t year lol) happened and because I already have markers on my file from 3 years ago, the manager concerned has said, if it happens again no matter if the current warning is active or not, she will fire me.

Tazd9t9

Quote from: madness on 10-09-23, 11:24PMLets be honest here and call a spade a spade. You sound like a nightmare employee.
wow how rude are you

Tazd9t9

Quote from: lucgeo on 11-09-23, 08:27AMYou should still have a people partner who is assigned to your store? The people partners now cover a number of stores in the area, they should have an email address displayed on the notice board. Ask your manager for the contact name and email address if it isn't displayed.

we have no people partner details anywhere in our store

The Guvnor

Quote from: surlaroute on 13-09-23, 05:44AMthis has occurred to me as an option this time around, without the USDAW presence that I've never taken. The "probably getting fired" part of this is, it's only a month or so since something similar (yet completely different and not half as extenuating - it's hard to explain without completely revealing myself here as if I haven't already, only to say, honestly, I don't do this all the time, it's just been a sh*t year lol) happened and because I already have markers on my file from 3 years ago, the manager concerned has said, if it happens again no matter if the current warning is active or not, she will fire me.
I left the employment of Tesco a long time ago. I was a Union Steward and I stand by what I said earlier that you should seriously consider resigning. This should allow you to keep your pension intact. You can walk away and work elsewhere if you want to?
The Guvnor

Dungivnatoss

grim up north

What happens to your pension if sacked?

NightAndDay

It remains frozen, admin charges are taken out of it every month as L&G manage it, I've personally seen my pension shoot up 60% from 2015-2022 when I left, the 40-75p per month admin charged pay for the capital growth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk