News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 08:55AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,424
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 554
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 543
Total: 545

10% bonus for Coronavirus

Started by MonkeH, 30-03-20, 01:41PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wishicouldgo

After going over the bonus payment with other night colleagues we have worked out that the 10% is on basic pay no premiums or overtime  taken Into account very disappointing.

Redshoes

It's awful for one life to be lost. It's not a huge bonus but it's a bonus paid during a very difficult time and with the company incurring additional costs. If you feel that strongly you can take a lifestyle break. You may probably say you can't afford this but if you feel that strongly about risking your life it is an option. Be realistic, you are still here, many are not. This is a global issue and the impact for many has been far worse, for health and finances. This will take a long time to recover from. I work in an area with lost of people working on the rigs, people are being laid off, some rigs are almost locked down by the virus but others are free and clear. The twenty care homes close by are all 100% clear thankfully but I have a friend who has lost three members of her family and a good friend. The bonus is not danger pay, it's a thank you and it's free money. If you don't want it donate it. Loads of charities in need of money just now.

Redshoes

If you are off with symptoms or you get the full blown virus you don't get the bonus. That to me is a bigger issue than those in work that are fit and well saying the free money they are getting is not enough.

manbearpig

I think the bonus was put in place partly to stop people pretending someone in their household had symptoms and getting 2 weeks off-paid for nothing

Because the bonus is for hours worked it makes people think twice

lucgeo

The bonus Tesco are giving, is only following the precedence set by other supermarkets and retailers. Unfortunately, even then it's less than some others are giving  :-X

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

Quote from: manbearpig on 01-05-20, 05:32AM
I think the bonus was put in place partly to stop people pretending someone in their household had symptoms and getting 2 weeks off-paid for nothing

Because the bonus is for hours worked it makes people think twice

I think those that way inclined would take the paid 2 weeks off over the 10% on top.

As for it being a thank you payment and not danger money, that is true, but the fact Tesco aren't paying danger money speaks louder than the "thank you".

lucgeo

Quote from: Redshoes on 01-05-20, 04:45AM
It's awful for one life to be lost. It's not a huge bonus but it's a bonus paid during a very difficult time and with the company incurring additional costs. If you feel that strongly you can take a lifestyle break. You may probably say you can't afford this but if you feel that strongly about risking your life it is an option. Be realistic, you are still here, many are not. This is a global issue and the impact for many has been far worse, for health and finances. This will take a long time to recover from. I work in an area with lost of people working on the rigs, people are being laid off, some rigs are almost locked down by the virus but others are free and clear. The twenty care homes close by are all 100% clear thankfully but I have a friend who has lost three members of her family and a good friend. The bonus is not danger pay, it's a thank you and it's free money. If you don't want it donate it. Loads of charities in need of money just now.

It is bad that people are being laid off, but the rigs have been reducing British employee numbers for the last few years, especially the companies drilling abroad. Lots of companies are using this pandemic to get their payrolls down, after they'll use it to get rid...and one wonders if they'll find a get out clause for redundancy pay, as they only liable for 20% of the previous 6+ months?? Petrol prices haven't come down, even with the lower demand and the price of a barrel into a negative.

Unfortunately, only the wealthy can afford to take themselves out of harms way, flit off into lockdown to homes with leisure facilities and gardens most residential estates would envy.

And sorry, but in my opinion, it is danger money, and it's pathetic,  supposedly given in recognition of the workforce putting themselves in harms way! They could have closed the stores completely, and put all their staff in furlough, they didn't have to stay open! But the profits were there for the taking!
As another poster said, it was probably to stop people taking time off sick!! Hmm...two weeks pay V's 10%  ???

thor god of thunder

Quote from: wishicouldgo on 01-05-20, 04:45AM
After going over the bonus payment with other night colleagues we have worked out that the 10% is on basic pay no premiums or overtime  taken Into account very disappointing.

it includes over time and night premiums. remember the time period this first payment is from

JB007

I know I'm going off at a bit of a tangent here, but can someone tell me what the pay and overtime periods are please?  I did ask someone once and it sounded a little on complicated. 8-)

alf

Quote from: lucgeo

And sorry, but in my opinion, it is danger money, and it's pathetic,  supposedly given in recognition of the workforce putting themselves in harms way! They could have closed the stores completely, and put all their staff in furlough, they didn't have to stay open! But the profits were there for the taking!
As another poster said, it was probably to stop people taking time off sick!! Hmm...two weeks pay V's 10%  ???

The idea that a supermarket, an essential and still in demand business, could shut up shop and claim furlough is preposterous.

barafear

Quote from: Newbie2 on 01-05-20, 02:56PM
I know I'm going off at a bit of a tangent here, but can someone tell me what the pay and overtime periods are please?  I did ask someone once and it sounded a little on complicated. 8-)

I believe that contractual pay (i.e. for your contracted hours) is paid up to the Thursday before pay day - whereas any additional hours is the previous Thursday before payday (i.e. 8 days before payday).

The pay dates are every four weeks on a Friday - with today being pay day - so add four weeks to get the next one and so on.

Or else a calendar with all the dates is available on the Ourtesco.com website.

lucgeo

Quote from: alf on 01-05-20, 03:53PM
Quote from: lucgeo

The idea that a supermarket, an essential and still in demand business, could shut up shop and claim furlough is preposterous.

Is it?? Is it?? They're not the only supermarket...the choice was still theirs to make. They may not have qualified for furlough, but they could have reduced stores nearby each other and not made a big deal if recruiting more staff. What about all the little independent convenience stores, were they preposterous to shut up shop?? No, because many were pushed out due to high demand of goods from the big supermarket chains, from suppliers. The little stores got stock stripped bare, then could hardly get any more. They had to furlough staff, on a damned lot less wage and contracted hours!! And I fail to see how the sale of home furnishings and clothing are essential items, retailers selling these types of products on the high street, were forced to close, as non essential. Meanwhile the supermarkets were permitted to sell these goods undeterred...it should not have been permitted. A lot of these high street retailers won't open again!

alf

Yes it is preposterous, the point of furlough is to protect employee wages during a time where their employer cannot operate i.e. To avoid mass job losses, and to support the economy.

(As for reducing stores, aye great, force more people into a smaller overall space...)

Tesco and other supermarkets can operate, In fact as you pointed out they are making profit, so they can clearly maintain paying their employees.

Do you really think the government is going be like "alright dave close up there, we'll pay your staff indefinitely".

Basically, a snippet from gov.uk

If you cannot maintain your current workforce because your operations have been severely affected by coronavirus (COVID-19), you can furlough employees

lucgeo

So recruiting more temp staff wasn't forcing more people in a smaller space?? Instead they could have moved staff from neighbouring smaller stores into the bigger ones! Leaving a fairer playing field.
So do you think they should have been allowed to continue selling nonessential goods..e.g.D.I.Y. household, crockery, pots and pans towels, bed linen  and non basic clothing..etc.

alf

The temps were to replace the staff off sick/isolating, and they're now being reduced as the numbers required aren't as high.

We're not running around bumping into each other because there is too many of us.

Customers have always been the biggest headcount, spreading that out across stores makes more sense than compacting. For example let's say my tesco could furlough, that just means the local sainsbury is going to be inundated with customers.

As for nonessentials, I don't care, it makes no difference to me if a customer is buying milk or a BBQ. Just keep overall customer numbers low, and maintain distance.

It seems some DIY stores are reopening anyways.

lucgeo

What?? 12 thousand staff were off sick/ isolating??

Think some posters may disagree with you there, with regard the amount of staff in their stores bumping into each other, due to not being able to social distance in bottle neck areas?

Not every area has the big four as their only choice. Some still have other independent smaller convenience and retail high street outlets. Market stall sellers etc...but then hey, you don't care! Think those small outlets could have managed the social distancing policy themselves.

D.I.Y. stores are now reopening, after 6 weeks loss of trade, which the supermarkets have reaped the rewards during their absence.

alf

Edit: peak absence was 52,000, tesco employed 50,000 temps, but those figures are now falling, as staff return.

I don't know why you keep bringing up smaller stores, it has no relation to my original point and statement, tesco are not eligible  for furlough.

Besides, at least in my local area, the smaller convenience chains are still open, as are independents, hell if anything the local DIY merchant is making a killing.

No idea were you got the idea I don't care about smaller shops/retailers either, maybe don't twist my answer to your specific question.

Long story short, tesco are not eligible for furlough, whether tesco have benefitted from other retailers using furlough makes no difference to that eligibility. Take it up with the government and/or the other retailers.

lucgeo

"As for nonessentials, I don't care, it makes no difference to me if a customer is buying milk or a BBQ. Just keep overall customer numbers low, and maintain distance."

That was your statement, can't see how I'm twisting your answer?

Obviously your area differs vastly from mine, with regard smaller convenience stores and high streets.

Think those retailers who lost 6 weeks of trade may have a genuine case for the government to redress regarding unfair trading monopoly.

alf

Exactly, how did.you come to the conclusion that my "don't care"  statement applied to the well being of local retailers, you asked a specific question about tesco, the addition of the well being of local retailers came after you asked the question.

lucgeo

Because I asked if you thought they should have been allowed in selling non essentials items, which I had already stated previously other retailers had closed due to being classed as traders in non essential items, and you said you didn't care what they sold.  ???

So before it becomes anymore wasting of website space,  going round in circles of..you said this...I said that...you've had your say...I've had mine...agree to disagree and move on.
Stay safe

Fabbakery1999

I do not care what people buy when they come to tesco because everybody's idea of what is essential is different to the next person.
For instance B&Q refused my niece  the sale of a ceiling light as hers had broke even though she has two children registered blind.

Nomad

[admin]Topic : 10% bonus for Coronavirus[/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Nomad

Coronavirus: Key supermarket workers denied bonus

QuoteA major UK supermarket has offered bonuses to its frontline staff - but not those taken on to help during the coronavirus pandemic.

The union GMB described Tesco's decision as "a disgrace" and called on the company to rethink only paying the sum to permanent staff.

A worker, who wished to remain anonymous, said he felt undervalued.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightAndDay

Tesco near enough at the bottom of the pile again in terms of bonus payment, quelle surprise.

manbearpig

Quote from: Nomad on 10-05-20, 12:59PM
Coronavirus: Key supermarket workers denied bonus

QuoteA major UK supermarket has offered bonuses to its frontline staff - but not those taken on to help during the coronavirus pandemic.

The union GMB described Tesco's decision as "a disgrace" and called on the company to rethink only paying the sum to permanent staff.

A worker, who wished to remain anonymous, said he felt undervalued.

Wow, I didn't realise our bonus was so c**p compared to what other supermarkets are giving their staff, but I shouldn't really be surprised now should I.

It also does seem a bit unfair that temp colleagues are missing out on the bonus too, they are working under the same conditions as the perm staff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk