News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:25AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Pandemics & Tesco's policy

Started by Orangutan, 24-02-20, 09:51AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welshie

You cant eat or drink with a mask on . I know in other countries you have to wear a mask into a restaurant/bar and then can take it off when seated .

gomezz

As a dot.com driver I have only been wearing a face covering (a Sparco helmet liner with the top pull down the back of my neck) when delivering to frail, vulnerable customers who need their shopping taking indoors.  Will not be bothering while walking into work through the shop floor but sticking to the wider aisles and still observing the two metre distancing lines.

When I take over a van I wipe down the steering wheel and other controls and door handles with desanitiser and have the windows fully open for several minutes to get a complete change of fresh air.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Redshoes

I work in a Scottishstore. Face marks need to be worn crossing the shop floor but if you are behind a screen, as in on a till, you don't need to wear once behind the screen. The company have provided three masks per person per day. Most colleagues wear own. A few colleagues are selling home made ones. The local chemist has done a good trade on visors. A few are wearing those neck scares worn by hill walkers.
Most of our customers were wearing anyway. People have been very creative and found a way forward. I have seen one person with diving goggles and a snorkel and another wearing a welding shield. It has been just over a week and we have only had one complaint. No queues at door, only a hold up when someone goes to town with the hand sanitiser but most do a quick clean and move on into the store. I had to ask people to move yesterday as they had met a friend in the doorway, one coming in and one going out and just stood talking with people building up round them. They were totally unaware. That is the biggest issue we have just now. A lot of people are seeing people they have not seen for a long time but it does not matter where they happen to meet in the store it causes congestion. This has always happened but it blocks off a bigger area now.

dotnochance

So my store is now getting staff sent home (dotcom) because someone has tested positive for corona (a dotcom team support),now that ts puts out labels/trays/hands out cigs and other stuff, he's had contact with everyone and a lot of it, face masks arn't worn through the back ts dont ever wear one unless going to shop floor so that's a joke, now we have to through the back! except for night shift they still dont wear masks till shop opens, as a vulnerable staff member can i request emergency holiday for a week? what are my rights? as i dont feel particularly safe   

T.C.1

I suppose all the dot.com customers from that day should all be informed aswell??

oldfashionedplayer

Nope the dotcom customers won't be informed as "all processes will of been done safely and had many hours before delivery to avoid it spreading" most likely anyhow... Surprising that they were sending some home, ours just continue until they test positive.... Not after contact, have to go get tested.

Welshie

I thought that the virus could live on surfaces for up to 72hrs , dotcom picked same day as delivered .

gomezz

There is a difference between how long a virus can be viable for and how long it can be detected.  From what I can make out the first is a few hours, the second a few days but the evidence is still sketchy.

dotnochance

Well My flatmate has come down sick so have just had the corona test and is now waiting for results, as I’m staying in same house helpline said I have to quarantine as well till results come back. Phoned duty to let them know! Duty says are you sick as well? I’m like no I’m fine, duty then says your fine to come in then🤨 I’m like no. No f****ng wonder there’s Coronavirus in my store

oldfashionedplayer

Yeah policy is work while your fine, if your not ill keep coming in, if someone from same household tests positive then just distance from them and keep working.... Just an idiot company.....  :-X

dotnochance

wait that's Tesco's actual policy?
nhs policy is "you live with someone who has symptoms or tested positive
someone in your support bubble has symptoms or tested positive"

oldfashionedplayer

"You should advise the colleague who has the symptoms that they should isolate for 10 days returning on day 11 if they no longer have the high temperature. The other colleagues do not need to isolate, unless they receive a message from the contract tracing team/app advising that they also need to isolate."

3.6 What if a colleague has been in contact with someone outside of their home who has COVID-19?

There is no need for a colleague to self-isolate unless they have the COVID-19 symptoms, or they have been contacted by the contract tracing team/app. Colleagues should continue as normal, taking recommended precautions. However, if a colleague develops any symptoms they should immediately follow the self-isolation process.

Does however say in the Q&A though for managers -

Colleagues should self-isolate if they, someone in their household group, or someone in their bubble group who they have been in contact with over the last 14 days develop the symptoms of coronavirus illness (COVID-19), these are:

Problem is that there has been a wide case of it not being done this way, ours for example some were forced to come in, and those who did actually have Covid they told staff they were on holiday and it wasn't Covid related....  8-) >:(

Nomad

https://inews.co.uk/news/business/tesco-angers-staff-unfair-covid-19-quarantine-rules-625980

QuoteStaff at Tesco’s UK headquarters are angry about new rules stipulating they must take unpaid or annual leave if they need to quarantine at home following an overseas trip.

The new rules recently implemented by the supermarket giant are viewed as unfair given many office-based staff at the FTSE 100 company have been working from home since Britain entered lockdown in March. They say they would be able to carry out their jobs as normal if made to quarantine.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightAndDay

This is a bit of a draconian policy, common sense and government guidelines says if work can be done remotely during the pandemic then until further notice, it's advisable for this to carry on being the case. No point in increasing risk of transmission and infection.

Unfortunately for the bottom line, their roles can't be done remotely. Sad as it is, they're 2 different types of jobs entirely. I can see a lot of people being up in arms about this, but logic dictates that is correct.

Nomad

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8697431/Multiple-Tesco-workers-infected-coronavirus-vast-distribution-centre.html

QuoteSeveral Tesco workers have tested positive for coronavirus at a vast distribution centre where 1,800 staff supply 318 stores.

The warehouse, in Livingston, West Lothian, confirmed a 'small number' of colleagues who tested positive for the virus are now self-isolating at home.

I reckon a 'small number' in relation to 1,800 would be in the region of only 5%, i.e. 90 workers
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

BUY TESLA STOCK

Livingston supply our store. Now we might have covid by post. Stock being delivered from these warehouses should be left for so many days before handling. Might save a few staff and customers contracting it.

Nomad

https://www.newtownabbeytoday.co.uk/news/people/coronavirus-glengormley-tesco-staff-self-isolating-after-testing-positive-2975536
QuoteTesco has confirmed a number of employees at its Northcott branch in Glengormley have tested positive with Covid-19.

https://www.portadowntimes.co.uk/news/people/concern-over-covid-19-case-tesco-store-2975567
Quote“This is a totally unacceptable situation that senior management are placing their employees in. They are showing a blatant disregard for the safety and well-being of their employees as well as their customers.

https://www.bracknellnews.co.uk/news/18729083.tesco-warfield-supermarket-land-big-fine/
QuoteCharges brought forward by Bracknell Forest Council (BFC) accused Tesco of failing to discharge their general health and safety duty to a member of the public, as well as failing to discharge their health and safety duty to an employee from a period between April 2017 and December 2017.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

T.C.1

If another national lock down happens I would imagine it would be the most vulnerable colleagues will be shielded with payment coming out of holidays or sick pay? Plus there was a bit of panic buying today in store!!

grim up north

There's been cases where I work. If T* closed that, that's a huge proportion of T* stores not getting any groceries. Same with Waitrose/Sainsbury's etc if they had to close DC's. While you're all high fiving on here cos there's no supermarkets open, who's that knock at the door? Oh, it's a bad man about to do his shopping in your house. Is that what you want?

King1999

Running stores on the staffing levels they are doing,may aswell just open the doors anyway and help yourself.

Welshie

Quote from: Nomad on 19-09-20, 11:07AM
https://www.newtownabbeytoday.co.uk/news/people/coronavirus-glengormley-tesco-staff-self-isolating-after-testing-positive-2975536
QuoteTesco has confirmed a number of employees at its Northcott branch in Glengormley have tested positive with Covid-19.

It was 4 , in  a large store . Not exactly a big percentage of the staff

Welshie

Just done a dotcom order for delivery Wednesday evening, now I live in a part of the UK that as of 6pm tomorrow evening,  noone is allowed in anyone elses house because our covid cases are at 55.7 per 100000 , the worst in the UK . When I went to checkout my order a new message appeared giving the option for bagless delivery again and stating that as long as we are not isolating the driver will deliver inside the house . Have drivers been told this ? Why now when cases all over are rising ?

gomezz

As always the final decision rests with the driver who will do a dynamic risk assessment.  Not unreasonably in the current situation I think most drivers will not deem it safe to deliver inside the house by default and will only do so for frail and elderly customers taking extra precautions:  Face covering; open doors;  customer retires to another room; not touching anything inside or around the house.

Fixxer

Face masks now mandatory (from Thursday) for those in the retail sector in England. Removing the previous exemption.

notsofunny

Is it Thursday or Monday? Which ever it's about time .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk