News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

30-03-24, 01:18AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,133
  • Total Topics: 631
  • Online today: 92
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 68
Total: 68

Pay Review 2022

Started by yeetus, 29-03-22, 08:30PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morris999

Head count for our frontend manager has increased, more part time colleagues and less full time, then has picked up CSD and PFS head counts too.
And to top it off, they do not have Team support, so all the work that the team support did, the manager now has to do!
It's like that for a lot of frontend managers!

Redshoes

I wish I had team support to do schedules. Like many stores I now have off till colleagues that are not paid at a premium/skill rate.
I have the biggest head count in the store. I have nearly 40 colleagues with stock/admin having 9. I used to have nearly 60 colleagues and the stock/admin once had a head count of up to about 12. We have the same time to do the job.
I am often duty manager and the only manager in the building. It's rare to do a shift without being duty.
Checkouts also end up with a high level of colleagues with health issues. I'm seen as the expert in the store on occupational health and support plans. I don't want to be but it's something I have had to do. I have done two plans for people who don't work for me and I have done a hub investigation for someone who does not work for me and was not till related but as an "expert" on dealing with the hub it came to me.
Grocery manager gets to spend most of his time within his dept. Same for fresh manager. I have to fill fresh when early duty and fill grocery when late duty but it's years since grocery manager has been on a till. I look at the scan rate report weekly and fresh manager spent 8 mins on a till last week I spent 6 hours but I spent more than 6 hours supporting fresh as I had a lot of early duties last week.
I'm not complaining. It's the way things are. I just wish that the job was as small as some seem to think it is.

Tesc0Wow

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 10-10-22, 06:09PMWhy do managers think the workload has increased,yes checkouts has garage,kiosk,trollies now,but probably headcount less than 3 years ago,holidays will be online,team support should do rotas,,,stock manager has extra now,wages,merch,cash office,but most routines simpler,shorter,did they think it unfair having probably 5-10 staff few years ago compared to checkouts 50 odd,probably not,fresh mostly combined manager now,but again,head count probably low,yes you all have extra depts because your head counts were low,

I think superstores are the worst hit right now, especially those with no nights. There's now no longer a lead team in these stores, often managers especially on shop floor have to have much larger areas of the shop. Such as bakery, non-food, clothing, services, no longer having their own dedicated manager. Yes shift leads are in now, but there aren't the same number as what's gone out and they have less accountability.

AudiTTman

Can anyone tell me, under the new structure, what is the new colleague count for a store to have 2 managers and 4 shift leaders. Our store currently has 2 managers and 4 shift leaders but 93 colleagues yet another store has same managers and shift leaders but only 44 colleagues, how can this be, the poor manager on replen looks after 6 depts!

5fdp

There is only so low mgt level you can go and still cover the store 7 days and holidays .

Tesc0Wow

Quote from: AudiTTman on 11-10-22, 08:36PMCan anyone tell me, under the new structure, what is the new colleague count for a store to have 2 managers and 4 shift leaders. Our store currently has 2 managers and 4 shift leaders but 93 colleagues yet another store has same managers and shift leaders but only 44 colleagues, how can this be, the poor manager on replen looks after 6 depts!

That is so rough, that's a hell of a lot of responsibility for one guy.

madness

Quote from: AudiTTman on 11-10-22, 08:36PMCan anyone tell me, under the new structure, what is the new colleague count for a store to have 2 managers and 4 shift leaders. Our store currently has 2 managers and 4 shift leaders but 93 colleagues yet another store has same managers and shift leaders but only 44 colleagues, how can this be, the poor manager on replen looks after 6 depts!

Tesco look at the Aldi and Lidl model where there is 1 store manager, and maybe 2 assistant managers and 3-6 deputies/shift lead level   and think we can do that too.
Except the tesco way of working  holidays, stock control reductions, fag sales, refunds, discouts, photobooth, moneygramme, multiple independent suppliers, charities, forum c**p, online, support plans, 20x the number of products, 18 different sizes of digestive biscuits and brands.

Redshoes

I think manager team is based on format. A store near me only qualified for store manager, one single manager and four shift leads but when it moved up to be classed as a small superstore it got two managers. I can't give you examples of head count for this store. I can only say I have nearly 40 in my team and classed as having five Depts.

forrestgimp

Quote from: Redshoes on 11-10-22, 07:09AMI wish I had team support to do schedules. Like many stores I now have off till colleagues that are not paid at a premium/skill rate.
I have the biggest head count in the store. I have nearly 40 colleagues with stock/admin having 9. I used to have nearly 60 colleagues and the stock/admin once had a head count of up to about 12. We have the same time to do the job.
I am often duty manager and the only manager in the building. It's rare to do a shift without being duty.
Checkouts also end up with a high level of colleagues with health issues. I'm seen as the expert in the store on occupational health and support plans. I don't want to be but it's something I have had to do. I have done two plans for people who don't work for me and I have done a hub investigation for someone who does not work for me and was not till related but as an "expert" on dealing with the hub it came to me.
Grocery manager gets to spend most of his time within his dept. Same for fresh manager. I have to fill fresh when early duty and fill grocery when late duty but it's years since grocery manager has been on a till. I look at the scan rate report weekly and fresh manager spent 8 mins on a till last week I spent 6 hours but I spent more than 6 hours supporting fresh as I had a lot of early duties last week.
I'm not complaining. It's the way things are. I just wish that the job was as small as some seem to think it is.

So you are complaining about having to do the job you get handsomely paid for.....gotcha...

BritishRacingGreen

Nothin' like bein' supportive, eh Forrest  8-) 

NightAndDay

Quote from: forrestgimp on 12-10-22, 06:46PM
Quote from: Redshoes on 11-10-22, 07:09AMI wish I had team support to do schedules. Like many stores I now have off till colleagues that are not paid at a premium/skill rate.

So you are complaining about having to do the job you get handsomely paid for.....gotcha...

Nothing handsome about it, top tier TM salaries are about £55k a year supposedly and only a handful would be on that, the average TM salary would be between £28-£30k a year which is below the average full time salary and is a lot of work for what they get paid for.

Tesco may lead in Market Share, but they are middling when it comes to remuneration.

Batmanjo

Rather suspect about the 'expert'  8-)  in occupational health ?? as my 1st question to you would be Are you medically qualified ? 2nd Do you have personal liability insurance ? as you may well need it, you are not entitled to any information regarding someone's Occupation health.
It seems that Managers seem to think they are experts in everything and no matter what always have a superiority complex thinking they are always correct.

NightAndDay

Being an expert in occupational health would refer to the Tesco management administrative process side of it, not the diagnosis and summary judgement on whether they'd be fit to work, that's what the doctor is for.

Davethebave

Quote from: NightAndDay on 12-10-22, 09:27PM

Nothing handsome about it, top tier TM salaries are about £55k a year supposedly and only a handful would be on that, the average TM salary would be between £28-£30k a year which is below the average full time salary and is a lot of work for what they get paid for.

Tesco may lead in Market Share, but they are middling when it comes to remuneration.

I wish the TM salary went to £55k!!
It's actually capped at around 30k, it takes years to hit that.

madness

The bandings recently got moved up lows and highs to above 30k but I don't know what.
I know of a couple of managers who were on 31k 30k and 30k but they had been managers in a store for at least 7 years and ran their departments well.

All have left recently and newbies in at 24k.     departments are not running near as well.
It does tell you that experience in valuable.

barafear

I guess I really should know - but can someone tell me what TM stands for? (I'm guessing it's team manager... 8-)

I'm not a manager at Tesco - but I have always been curious as to why the salaries are clouded in secrecy - and if what the previous poster is correct and that starting salaries for new managers is "only" 24k, I'm slightly shocked.

That works out at less than £13 per hour.

Do different depts have different salaries? For example, as Redshoes often points out, as a checkout manager would entail having to "manage" a larger number of staff. Do managers work their way "up" through what might be seen as "easier" depts?

PS: I was about to say that this thread was veering away from the topic (pay review) - but I guess it is loosely associated!

Sherwoodforest

Yes TM is team manager, with Tesco restructuring managers roles its somewhat fairer, some departments like compliance, petrol station, stock control and bakery had low head counts some not even 10, and then checkout and dot com could have 40 upwards so their is a rebalance now combining roles, if Tesco promote from within they're more likely to start on lowest TM wage.  Then pay rise dependant on performance.
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

barafear

I also read on here about "shift leaders" - I thought that the only dept that had another "layer of management" was on checkouts - Team Support? (is that the same as SL?) - and effectively they are simply the same as B/C hourly paid colleagues plus their skills payment of around £1.90?
Do other depts also have SL?

Redshoes

Quote from: Batmanjo on 13-10-22, 11:39AM
Rather suspect about the 'expert'  8-)  in occupational health ?? as my 1st question to you would be Are you medically qualified ? 2nd Do you have personal liability insurance ? as you may well need it, you are not entitled to any information regarding someone's Occupation health.
It seems that Managers seem to think they are experts in everything and no matter what always have a superiority complex thinking they are always correct.
I did not think I had to explain that I'm an expert at putting cases forward and this includes informing colleagues of who can see reports etc and then making workplace adjustments according to recommendations. I don't need to be medically qualified as that is what occupational health is for. I am in no way saying I go round OH. I have just had to deal with them a lot.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Davethebave on 13-10-22, 03:42PM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 12-10-22, 09:27PM

I wish the TM salary went to £55k!!
It's actually capped at around 30k, it takes years to hit that.

Our good friend NowAnExManager made that bold claim. It may have changed so that they brought it all in line, but back in the day you definitely had high taking TMs.

I know as of about a year ago, you had TMs on around £33-34k a year (I personally know an F&F TM on that) and my friend the TM is on £24k (he is new to the role) £28-£30k would seem like the average for experienced TMs with a few years in the role, which would be most.

madness

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 13-10-22, 04:51PMYes TM is team manager, with Tesco restructuring managers roles its somewhat fairer, some departments like compliance, petrol station, stock control and bakery had low head counts some not even 10, and then checkout and dot com could have 40 upwards so their is a rebalance now combining roles, if Tesco promote from within they're more likely to start on lowest TM wage.  Then pay rise dependant on performance.
Thing is a picker can be trained in a day or two as can a checkout operator. After that they clock in and sit down at a till or grab their dot com trolly and thats it barely any interaction needed its a paint by numbers job. (do thier holidays thats it)
where are stock control filling takes weeks to get semi competant at. Then you need them to actually do the job rather than stand about all the time.
So a high headcount on these two departments is right compared to the more micromanagement of other departments that is needed.

Teddybonkers

My word Redshoes, they don't half get their money's worth out of you. Ever thought they might be taking the p**s?    :D

whatajoke2019

Quote from: barafear on 13-10-22, 07:03PMI also read on here about "shift leaders" - I thought that the only dept that had another "layer of management" was on checkouts - Team Support? (is that the same as SL?) - and effectively they are simply the same as B/C hourly paid colleagues plus their skills payment of around £1.90?
Do other depts also have SL?

There's an Extra in my local area that has a Shift Leader for F&F.

Could be mistaken but I think Team Support colleagues have some "managerial" tasks as part of their role e.g., letting them know about their Flexi shifts, getting them sorted with any training that needs doing and I think talking to people who've double scanned stuff and overcharged folk.

At one time I did wonder if Stock Control TMs would've gained a SL when Cash & admin was added to their workload but now they've axed stuff again with the recent changes I guess not.

Now these reviews are being done online I wonder how long it is before some bright spark decides we only get a pay rise (for us hourly paid folk) if you're great/exceeded and to save money we're all put down as just 'OK' and get nothing?  :D  That's me being paid with value peanuts then  ;)

NightAndDay

If one thing is certain, for the next 2-3 years at least, pay rises for hourly paid colleagues will be relatively large compared to before, they won't be inflation beating, but then again they mostly never are (and when they are, it's usually only the CAs that get anything resembling an inflation beating pay rise on account that for some reason or another, all graded roles with the exception of 1 or 2 get the same nominal increase).

In times like these, public scrutiny is at it's highest on the biggest companies on how staff are compensated, public pressure would be a more significant factor while we're in these strange economic times.

NightAndDay

I've heard that there's a massive pay difference between Superstore Store Managers, apparently new starters start on £50k a year and my local one on old contract running the smallest superstore in the UK is on £137k a year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk