News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:57PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 288
Total: 289

Dignity at work

Started by Zoomer999, 01-08-21, 02:14PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoomer999

I'm looking for advice regarding dignity at work, I had a bust up with someone and called them a f*#*ing as*#ole, this happened in mid May and I was sat down regarding this today.  Is that the correct procedure regarding this??

penguin

When you say you were sat down regarding it, was this a formal investigation meeting with a notetaker ?
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Zoomer999

No my manager sat me down and gave me a let's talk, 2day is the first I knew anything about it but they had a statement from the person and a witness.

penguin

Nobody is given a lets talk as such, its not a warning or punishment it is simply a record of a conversation although I'm aware that they are often viewed and used as such. Assuming the matter is being taken no further and the lets talk was just a record of the conversation your manager had with you about the incident then yes correct process has been followed.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Zoomer999

So an incedent that happened nearly 3 months ago I could've been disciplined for if my manager hadn't decided not to take it any further, surely that's not right, I was never spoken to or had a statement taken or made aware what was happening.

spike_pkh

Why should there be a time limit on disciplining someone for bullying?

Maybe the victim didn't feel comfortable coming forward until now? On wanted to let it go at the time but now feels like it could be an ongoing issue that needed to be informally addressed

Treat people with dignity at work and you have nothing to worry about

Nomad

"Treat people with dignity at work and you have nothing to worry about" said that to MM a few times.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

alf

Bit of a victim complex nomad.

[admin]Two sides to every coin.[/admin]

NightAndDay

There's a lot of sense in it, aside from the obvious, not treating people with dignity at work is legally ill advised.

Zoomer999

Quote from: spike_pkh on 01-08-21, 07:01PM
Why should there be a time limit on disciplining someone for bullying?

Maybe the victim didn't feel comfortable coming forward until now? On wanted to let it go at the time but now feels like it could be an ongoing issue that needed to be informally addressed

Treat people with dignity at work and you have nothing to worry about
There was no bullying involved, yes I lost my temper and called him that but this is someone I have known for years who took the huff as I raised an issue with them, regarding them coming forward they gave a statement 2 days after the incident in may but I wasn't made aware of this until yesterday.

gomezz

Did your colleague give the statement off their own bat or did some third party stick their neb in and told the manager of the incident?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Zoomer999

To be honest I'm not sure, I did not know anything about it being reported until yesterday.

lordadmiral

Few times i called people useless, idiots and go on. No disciplinary just lets talk.

Nomad

If my memory serves me right in past years there have been court cases over language used in the workplace and in many of them the judge put it down to 'factory floor' language and dismissed the case/claim.

As long as it is not within earshot of customers the same could be said of 'retail floor' language.

Working class (hate that phrase  >:( ) do not, in a heated argument/discussion, address each other as "my esteemed colleague", or anything like it.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

NightAndDay

The point in these cases is whether the language used erodes the trust and relationship held between employer and employee. There's a mass of other legislation that may also be breached in the event of bullying, such as victimisation, retaliation and <insert protected characteristic here> discrimination and duty of care laws.

Dignity at work suggests either a manager has broken confidentiality (and therefore GDPR) of an employees confidential information or bullied/harrasssd them in such a way that it falls under any of the categories I stated in the first paragraph.

Blue collar colloquialism is legally fine as long as nobody is offended by it.

VladPutin

This is one reason I speak as little as possible to both colleagues and customers. The less you say, the less chance there is of getting into trouble.

(The other reason is I'm an INTJ, and tend to view humans less as people than self-propelled Chess pieces.  >:D)

NightAndDay

I was going to say if you're an INTJ you wouldn't be working at Tesco, but I know full well you have intelligent employees below the management level as I was one myself, if anything, intelligence is what stops you making the manager ranks. And with no jobs out there, you're going through the unpleasantness of being dictated to by a warm body whose brain is potato powered, I've endured that circle of hell for long enough, hopefully you'll be liberated from your economically enforced kakistocracy sooner rather than later.

alf

Grown men bragging about a glorified personality quiz, that s*** is tragic.

lordadmiral

If it come to verbal abuse which amount to harrasement then yes there are laws in place. But only to be.
My life experience with receiving abuse is that police doesn't give a f*** although it's their job.
So i do not belive that if any of us will be pulled to responsibility for anything we say. Unless you will say you plan to blow up something ;D

NightAndDay

The police won't do anything as they'll see it as a civil case not a criminal one, with this you'll have to be your own enforcer of justice, document, duplicate, grievance and tribunal.

VladPutin

Quote from: NightAndDay on 02-08-21, 08:55PM
I was going to say if you're an INTJ you wouldn't be working at Tesco, but I know full well you have intelligent employees below the management level as I was one myself, if anything, intelligence is what stops you making the manager ranks. And with no jobs out there, you're going through the unpleasantness of being dictated to by a warm body whose brain is potato powered, I've endured that circle of hell for long enough, hopefully you'll be liberated from your economically enforced kakistocracy sooner rather than later.

The lack of intellect required for my job is actually quite relaxing. I can happily do my entire shift on auto-pilot, while my brain gets on with planning world domination.  ;)

VladPutin

Quote from: alf on 02-08-21, 09:25PM
Grown men bragging about a glorified personality quiz, that s*** is tragic.

Don't feel bad; not everyone can be born into the Master Race. By definition, the elite is not attainable by everyone.

I promise, you will still be able to serve your betters in the New World Order. >:D

alf

Honestly vlady baby I'm surprised you of all people would buy into this INTJ and the whole MyersBriggs Type Indicator nonsense, I mean I'd  expect it from nightandday that poor man is desperate for self validation. But you vlad? sucking the teat of the human resources, disappointing.

Afterall who do you think uses this nonsense, middle management, the same people you spend your time berating, yet here you are on your knees with a dirty mouth, all proud of the personality you've been given. 

ps. Your personality was created by a housewife and her daughter, so enjoy.

pps. The bigger question is, which little mix member are you https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/quizzes/which-member-of-little-mix-are-you I got perrie :-[

Nomad

And back to the topic of Dignity at work.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

NightAndDay

Tesco uses the term dignity at work as an umbrella term and takes it very seriously as a grievance alluding to it could potentially cost them in the millions depending on the specifics.

Dignity at work violations include any form of discrimination, bullying, retaliation, harrassment etc etc, just google NHS racial discrimination, the claimant got awarded over 7 figures and compensation. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/jan/09/nhs-manager-race-discrimination-case

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk