News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 04:31PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 318
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 310
Total: 316

unused Holiday and Covid

Started by chris9997, 04-03-21, 02:39PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris9997

What is the Holiday policy now last year you were allowed to carry some over this year according to MM its not allowed however the few days i had left were supposed to be booked in january but because of covid they were not i am now told there is no time left this month to book as people are off shielding and others and all is lost.

Stubbo

Surely the days you are owed could be taken as paid time off in the next holiday year, if they refuse tell them you want them before the end of march, they can't refuse your holidays you are entitled to them.

whatajoke2019

If you're in a non W&P store you might be lucky and they'll be able to do it as TOIL next month.

Unless you're a salaried colleague TOIL is no longer an option for hourly paid colleagues if you're on W&P  :thumbdown:

oldfashionedplayer

If your unable to take due to covid if can be carried over, so if they've got people all shielding and booked off already its not your problem, put in the request, write in it that it's required to be accepted before April, if they give it you back saying no, say needs to be other dates given that are workable for you too (in this case any), or you'll  be putting in a grievance for failure to follow holiday process of not giving you alternative options.

Carparkpothole

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you can only carry holidays over if you were ferloughed.

Welshie

Where you unable to take them due to covid because you are shielding? I find it unlikely that colleagues who have been shielding for most of the year would be allowed to carry holidays over .

londoner83

If you were Shielding you should have had some holiday deducted each month whilst you were off

lordadmiral

Hold on, does it say on gov website that unused holidays must be carried forward.

Welshie

Only the legally required holidays . I think that's 4 weeks , so if you've had 4 weeks then company would be under no obligation to let you carry the rest over  is my understanding of the law regardless of covid .

Nomad

Law, statutory holidays untaken due to illness can be carried forward.  I am unsure but think that may apply to those who have had to shield on government advice.  You can't shield on holiday, you're not supposed to even leave the house, you maybe off work (unless you work from/at home) but in neither case is it a bloody holiday.

If you are furloughed you can go on as long a holiday as you can afford. 
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Welshie

I do think though that as holidays have been used periodically throughout shielding,very few would not have have taken the required statutory but it's hard to keep track lol

Mark calloway

Can you carry over unused holidays if you've been on a lifestyle break?

Welshie

If you had a lifestyle break holidays should have been used during it .  If you take the full year holidays will be paid periodically throughout the year . I would have thought that if your lifestyle break takes you to the end of a holiday year your manager would put any remaining holidays through but honestly don't know about carrying them over

Mark calloway

A guy had 5 months lifestyle break until January but had 5 weeks holiday left. Because he couldn't book a fair few because they were already booked they are letting him carry them over. As far as I know nobody else was allowed to do that.

Welshie

If they were booked to be taken while on lifestyle break they should've still gone through as holiday .

Cairney39

Quote from: Mark calloway on 05-03-21, 09:42PM
A guy had 5 months lifestyle break until January but had 5 weeks holiday left. Because he couldn't book a fair few because they were already booked they are letting him carry them over. As far as I know nobody else was allowed to do that.

This just means that his lifestyle was not processed properly. All accrued holidays should be taken before starting a lifestyle break and holidays do not accrue on a LB. meaning once colleague returns, they should only have the pro rata equivalent of time left in the holiday year to take.

Tosco19

Quote from: londoner83 on 04-03-21, 06:58PM
If you were Shielding you should have had some holiday deducted each month whilst you were off

This is correct - all colleagues shielding have two days holiday taken off them for every month off shielding, this was the company stance and policy on this from the start. If you haven't had them taken off they have not followed it correctly. You still won't be able to carry them over though, they will process them between now and end of holiday year while you are still shielding.

In response to OP, as others have said, put a request in and if it's not authorised as for alternative dates to be offered - if they don't offer any they are refusing for you to take your holidays. I gather what you mean by 'unable to take due to covid' means it's too busy for you to be off? During your holiday review meeting (yes these do exist!!) you'll have allocated your holidays, if you hadn't booked them by XX date your manager should have allocated them themselves and informed you

grim up north

And what's the options if they are refusing for you to take holidays? It's happening now where I work. Loads of people have a lot of holidays left, and are being refused all March as there are too many people already off on holiday. So what can be done?

oldfashionedplayer

You put in a grievance, as holidays that were not booked by October they were supposed to be booked by managers in December for those colleagues, whether they wanted those dates or not, they could change them later.... Attached the pdf that was sent out  with retail news back then 😁

Redshoes

Quote from: grim up north on 06-03-21, 06:49PM
And what's the options if they are refusing for you to take holidays? It's happening now where I work. Loads of people have a lot of holidays left, and are being refused all March as there are too many people already off on holiday. So what can be done?

That has been badly managed. People needed to continue to take holidays to avoid this situation but more than that, they needed time out from work. It's not a holiday just now, it's just time out. There has been some reluctance but people have said they did not realise how tired they were until they had some time off. Some have done overtime on non contracted days during holidays. This is ok for some but not for all holidays. It's the break away from work that is needed.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Cairney39 on 06-03-21, 02:09PM
Quote from: Mark calloway on 05-03-21, 09:42PM

This just means that his lifestyle was not processed properly. All accrued holidays should be taken before starting a lifestyle break and holidays do not accrue on a LB. meaning once colleague returns, they should only have the pro rata equivalent of time left in the holiday year to take.

In my view, lifestyle breaks mean you've essentially resigned from the company with a caveat of keeping your benefits in line until you get back, I think holidays should be handled in this case as is said on the tin, you aren't paid by Tesco for Lifestyle breaks and holidays are worked out on a pro rata basis, having 5 months off means you aren't there 5 months out of the 12 in the tax year, meaning his holiday entitlement should be reflected as such.

Welshie

No that's incorrect.  If you take a year you still get your paid years holiday entitlement.

siamesal

Hi, I don't think this is the right one to post this on but I work in dotcom part time on weekends (with overtime in the week when I can) and I also attend university. With the exam season coming up, I've inquired about possibly getting a study leave for my exam period but the response from my managers have been so varied. A study leave would be so helpful because I have around 12/13 exams as I study a really intensive course but my exams are spread out throughout April and May and because I joined in December 2020, I dont't have enough holidays to book most weekends off to revise.

A few other people also came back from uni to work in dotcom during the Christmas period but they only came to work whislt they were off uni, i.e. they told me they were put on student contracts. My managers know that I myself am a uni student but I don't get the same contract opportunity.

Our management system is a bit confusing so to help avoid confusion I'll address them as manager A, B, C and so on. Managers B and C are joint dotcom managers where B has the power to decide whether I get a study leave or not, however they weren't around for me to ask. This is also what manager C said. Whilst talking to manager C, a new manager (D) came and said that "we don't use student contracts" but they allowed other dotcom workers/uni students to have them?? Manager D then said that I'd have to give my notice in and reapply for the job once my exams are over but there's a high turnover in dotcom and I don't even know whether they'd take me back. After this, manager C said to just book holidays for revision but I only get 3 days which is nothing for my revision, in reality I need a lot longer.

I spoke to manager A as well and they said to speak to manager B. Thing is, manager B is horrible judgemental, and the non-compromising kind. They're not the understanding type. Even if I explained by situation, they'd probably just ignore and not care what I've told them, even though this was the same person that put other dotcom workers on unofficial student contracts. They'll just tell me to book a holiday which would only be one single weekend for 7 weeks of exams or get lost.

I'm not sure what to do anymore. I don't want to quit just for revision but a one weekend holiday won't be enough and I'm scared the managers will downplay my exam situation to nothing.

Any advice will be appreciated and sorry this was so annoyingly long, had to give full context :(

NightAndDay

Quote from: Welshie on 07-03-21, 01:49PM
No that's incorrect.  If you take a year you still get your paid years holiday entitlement.

I know that's why I said in my view, it should work the way I described but it doesn't. As it's also how Tescos holiday accrual on the payslip works with "amount earned" and "amount taken", in essense you're accruing holiday by not working which is a bit odd.

Morris999

Ok
So Manager D is technically right there isn't anything called a student contract, however what stores do do is if they have students who go away to uni then come back at Xmas etc, they keep them on the books and just use their remaining holidays etc then just unpay for the rest with the understanding that at Xmas etc they will do their contracted shifts plus overtime where needed.
Sounds like that's what the other students are doing.

The holiday year resets on 1st April every year so you will get a full entitlement from then.
4 weeks worth plus bank holidays and personal day.
All you need to do is request the time off you need and put it to manager B or C stating why and they should authorise it, as study leave is in Tesco policies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk