News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:00PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 275
Total: 277

selling alcohol

Started by Expressdude2016, 28-12-16, 10:02AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Expressdude2016

Report in newspaper today that cashier refused to sell alcohol. Now I am not being racist etc but if a person is employed as  cashier then then they should have to sell alcohol no matter there beliefs. Whats others views on this.?   

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2486827/shopper-slams-tesco-after-muslim-woman-on-checkout-refused-to-serve-him-alcohol/ 

blutopia

I'm all for religious tolerance but I am struggling with this one.  It is not as if the member of staff was being asked to consume the alcohol.  Would they refuse to serve a customer who was buying pork or, indeed, any products containing meat that they were unsure was Halal?  Perhaps any Muslim colleagues reading this could explain.

I had a good laugh at the linked article at the bottom of the page though!
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2460637/tesco-santas-grotto-leytonstone-london-depressing/

Nomad

Tesco sell alcohol, customers buy alcohol, Tesco employs people who wont sell it to customers.

Makes perfect sense, NOT.  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

horatiocain

This isn't the first time this has happened and Muslims scholars across the country always say the same thing, there is no religious grounds to refuse to sell someone alcohol.
It was morrisons last time and it's happened in sainsbury too, there is kobi religious doctrine prohibiting selling alcohol so theiron manager should begin disciplinary action.

cityboy

This is absolute rubbish! If you can't do your job on whatever grounds, then you should have been offered a different job or no job at all. If my beliefs, say, as a vegetarian, secluded me from working in a butchers shop, then why apply for the job in the first place?. This position on checkouts is clearly unsuitable, so why has she got this job?

specialgravy

the sun is hardly known for its truthful and honest reporting is it? in fact i would be happy to stick my neck out here and say that its probably a load of old flannell. was there maybe another reason? like the guy was drunk or abusive? that wouldnt suit the suns barely masked anti muslim/right wing hate stance would it?

fargone

If she was that devout, then she wouldn't be working for the Kafir in the first place.

Nomad

@specialgravy, from the article
QuoteDavid Upstone, a Tesco customer service executive to the board, said: "Our colleague in question requested upon starting not to serve alcohol on religious grounds.

"As an inclusive retailer we do all we can to meet each person's needs.

"Our colleague works on the kiosk as alcohol is generally not purchased in this area.

"She is aware that you shouldn't have to queue again in the future if a similar situation occurs.

"She will request another colleague to come and serve."

Which appears to be a quote of the words spoken by the Tesco customer service executive, I would therefore hazard a guess it would not be wise to stick your neck out to far
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

sommiewoman

This reminds a little bit of the Yaya Toure story. It goes like this. Match of the Day always used to award the man-of-the-match a nice big bottle of champagne. One day, that MOTM happened to be Yaya Toure. He refused the champagne on grounds of his 'religious beliefs', so MOTD, in its great wisdom, scrapped the champagne - for everyone - and replaced it with some crappy, non-descript trophy. Therefore, the so-called religious belief of a single individual ended a long established tradition.

Fast forward a few years, and the very same Yaya Toure is caught drink driving and receives a lengthy driving ban and a hefty fine. He went on to say his soft drink had brandy in it. Right. Presumably it had been put there - by Yaya Toure.

Not exactly the same situation, but you get my drift.

cityboy

This is another annoyance. Get hired, and only then reveal the tasks you can't perform and the days you have to take off for your beliefs. I have seen the same members of staff do this year after year while the rest of us have to carry the store through Christmas and Easter,etc. But I suppose I'd be considered a bigot if I mentioned this, therefore I don't.     P.S., does this make me a closet racist?, because I hate those guys (racists I mean.).

mexicopete

Quote from: fargone on 28-12-16, 03:27PM
If she was that devout, then she wouldn't be working for the Kafir in the first place.

;) :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The worlds me lobster

mexicopete

Quote from: cityboy on 28-12-16, 04:00PM
This is another annoyance. Get hired, and only then reveal the tasks you can't perform and the days you have to take off for your beliefs. I have seen the same members of staff do this year after year while the rest of us have to carry the store through Christmas and Easter,etc. But I suppose I'd be considered a bigot if I mentioned this, therefore I don't.     P.S., does this make me a closet racist?, because I hate those guys (racists I mean.).

This newspaper article shows just why Tesco and our country are completely cattle trucked. :( :( :(
The worlds me lobster

fargone

I would have taken my £55.00p somewhere else.

cityboy

mexicopete, pardon my ignorance,but what do you mean?

forrestgimp

Quote from: Expressdude2016 on 28-12-16, 10:02AM
Report in newspaper today that cashier refused to sell alcohol. Now I am not being racist etc but if a person is employed as  cashier then then they should have to sell alcohol no matter there beliefs. Whats others views on this.?   

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2486827/shopper-slams-tesco-after-muslim-woman-on-checkout-refused-to-serve-him-alcohol/

It doesnt work like that, read the handbook if you have religious reasons for not selling something like pig meat cow meat or alcohol then tesco as an equal opportunity employer try to allow you not to be faced with the situation.

Also if you read this person is employed on the CS desk for this reason where alcohol is very rarely bought she also simply asked the guy to go to another till I get the feeling he may have made a huge deal out of it because a line manager opened a till and sold him it. Now we all refuse cigarette and alcohol sales on a daily basis for age related reasons and yet you are having a sanctimonious rant about this poor girl.

I get the feeling its more about her being a muslim than the refused alcohol sale.

mexicopete

@forrestgimp this poor girl is pulling her employers chain. There are all sorts of different ways of doing the this, the most common of which in my store is alledged child care issues which are used to ensure people get out of all sorts of duties, where other more dedicated members of staff are just expected to pick up the pieces of the carnage left by these lazy/conniving parasites. I am prepared to wager a fair amount that said cashier knew exactly what she was doing and the outcry it would inevitably cause. :-X :-X
The worlds me lobster

Morris999

The colleagues on my stores CSD sell lots of alcohol, so to say the csd colleagues hardly sell alcohol is not true.
Also I remember when the government started putting those vile pictures on the packets of tobacco products, the CSD colleagues complained that they were being made to look at the pictures when touching the products, and it wasn't right as they didn't smoke!
This was sent to HO and their response was either sell it or leave!

Now I work with a lot of Muslims in my store and they have all said the same!
There is nothing in their religion that states they cannot sell alcohol!
They are embarrassed as a result of this woman taking the p**s out of Tesco in the name of their religion!
This woman should have been told the same as the CSD colleagues in the store!
Sell it or leave!
It's PC madness!

mexicopete

@Morris999 Thank you I rest my case for the prosecution Melud. ;) ;) :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The worlds me lobster

sommiewoman

The nub of this story is about an individual employee impressing her beliefs on her employer, and indeed, wider society. A person's religion should be a private matter, and therefore should be kept out of a place of employment.

Nobody is suggesting people should not be able to have religious beliefs, misguided as I personally think they are, but you cannot expect everyone else who does not share those beliefs to compromise their behaviour to accommodate, or appease you.

Where does this end? With individual employees writing up a list of pre-conditions to their employers, rather than the other way round? To cherry pick what duties they will consider? And then human rights legislation compelling employers to be ever more accommodating, to the point where businesses are actually damaged?

specialgravy

well, it seems the guy who complained is a big fan of the massive racists at britain first and it also seems the GA was under 18....look at the drivel he put on his FB page http://irbf.org.uk/bf-supporter-sells-story-to-the-sun/
i am surprised at how it is automaticaly assumed the GA was at fault, the sun is a hateful pack of lies.

specialgravy

honestly shocked at some of the comments. everyone has a right to believe what they want. tosco is an inclusive employer and respects its employees rights to religious freedom, just like any decent employer, person or country should. if you dont like religion then thats great also-i dislike any kind of religion but thats just me and i have my reasons, doesnt stop me being civil and decent to those who like to follow, just like they are civil and decent to me. cut out the hate, its not cool.

AlexM

Well said, specialgravy.

Equalizer87

I would have taken my money elsewhere. In all my years  of buying alcohol I have never met a Muslim who has refused to serve me it. And having spoke with many staff members of the same faith, they all agree that selling the alcohol is not a problem. So if the story is true, what defence would the GA have???
I wonder, would they gave refused to sell Jelly Babies and Fruit Pastilles due to their gelatine content?? Or is it just an excuse because alcohol is widely known to be Haram for Muslims and the GA is playing on this??

I'm sorry, but if you accept employment with Tesco, or any other supermarket selling products that are in contravention of your beliefs, then the issue is with the GA. You know full well what you are getting into and should shoulder it, just as every other employee does.

I wonder what the responses would be  if a non Muslim staff member refused to sell Halal meat do to its inhumane killing method? ?? I bet that GA would be gone before they can blink.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

alf

Hmmm, a mentally stunted knuckle-dragger, sells a story to a tabloid, which is often read by mentally stunted knuckle-draggers.

Call me cynical, but I question the legitimacy of the article.

Though, I'm surprised, I didn't see any front page spreads about Christmas being banned, due to those scary muslims.

cityboy

I have just re-read this article. One thing I didn't notice at first was the sentence which said "the customer assistant, who wore a headscarf", now I'm not a fool, I know the undertone of that remark, and reading the comments on the article it certainly riled up the haters. If I had done something "newsworthy" while working at Tesco, do you think they would write "the customer assistant, who wore socks"? My suspicion is that this non-story was published merely to add fuel to the intolerance and hatred that exists in this country. Well done The Sun, another load of rubbish that feeds the haters and the bigots!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk