News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:58PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 280
Total: 282

Disciplinary Meeting

Started by tempo35, 29-04-20, 10:20AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swordfish

Do we know what the outcome was.?

Bahir

My hearing is on Friday. Does anyone have any advice please? I was silly to do it, but I didn't know that it counts as Tesco losing money, I am going to explain that and offer to pay back the total discount and apologise

chris9997

So how did they find out, that you did it? i am sure thats the card is misused by staff and management many times .

Bahir

I believe they have a system at head office- where any transaction activity is sent to the store manager, this is what I was told.

chris9997

It would have to be something triggered your transaction, did he use his/ her own debit card?

Bahir

Yes, that must have been it. As I say it was unintentional- and was a £50 discount-so looks bad. But, I have no previous record etc... Will offer to pay it back and will get a written statement from ky family member whereby they confirm that they put pressure on me to do it. I am worried - as my union rep contacted me after seeing the investigation notes and saying its more than likely going to be a dismissal

Nowanexmgr

You said you only agreed to fraudulently deprive the Company of money because you were put under pressure by a family member who was struggling financially due to a tough year and wanted to buy alcohol as Xmas presents.
You say you received £50 approx at discount meaning your family member’s Xmas gifts should have cost approx £550. I’d be asking them how on earth they can afford to be spending north of £500 on alcohol if they are so poor. Disgusting.

Instead of trying to wriggle out of your deliberate action of theft You should really be annoyed at both yourself for your deliberate dishonesty and your family member for their deliberate dishonesty.

This company and our shareholders treat you and your colleagues very well, and pay you extremely competitively. You decided to bite the hand that feeds you in order to save a family member a few quid off booze.

If your store management team have any cojones you’ll be getting sacked. Just be hopeful they don’t also decide to prosecute. I would.

Bahir

Ok, maybe I haven't explained fully. It was during the 20% discount, so the total amount was just over £200 before discount. As well as covid, the alcohol was being sent as a gift to my cousins in laws- as he passed away in march last year- and my family wanted to provide a gift to them as a sort of remembrance- and alcohol as a gift is relevant in our culture. I wouldn't dishonestly look to cheat anyone out of anything.

Nowanexmgr

Still theft. Knowing Theft.

Bahir

It wasn't knowing theft. If I knew it would count as theft- I would have firmly said told them straight and said I will purchase the items and told them to pay me after.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Nowanexmgr on 14-01-21, 12:31PM
This company and our shareholders treat you and your colleagues very well, and pay you extremely competitively.

This isn't 20 years ago.Tesco aren't anywhere near as competitive now nor do they treat staff very well. In terms of employee remuneration, they are no longer top of the food chain.

As for the rest of what you say, fraud is fraud, and if he knowingly did it then yes he deserves to be reprimanded as such, the only caveat I'd guess is if this is his first offense, if he didn't know about the 2nd discount card for a family member then it could work in his favour, but a final is what I would expect at least.

Nowanexmgr

Quote from: Bahir on 14-01-21, 02:16PM
It wasn't knowing theft. If I knew it would count as theft- I would have firmly said told them straight and said I will purchase the items and told them to pay me after.

Ignorance of the law is no defence. And your other suggestion is also a sackable offence.

NightAndDay

It's not law though it's policy, and if ignorance is stemmed from lack of awareness because of no relevent training then it is a defence, in this case though it doesn't apply by the sounds of it.

Morris999

However it only tells you the policy regarding Colleague Clubcard in the original letter you get with your first card, so ignorance can hardly be used now can it.

lackofinterest

as i've said many times on here, if staff told them to stick the discount card where the sun don't shine and spent their hard earned money elsewhere they would avoid situations like this :-X

Bahir

So, I got resuspended at the meeting- and told that there'll be another investigation meeting before the disciplinary again? Has this happened to anyone before?

NightAndDay

This usually happens to ascertain more information, it's not enough for them to know that you knowingly misused your discount card, they're taking in other factors, the fact you may not have known it's a serious breach and gross misconduct. Previous disciplinaries, your efficacy as a worker and the type of person you are, in short they're protecting themselves by being fair to you by looking for mitigating factors or aggravating factors.

Bahir

Ah ok, thank you. Yeah, the meeting was really weird- I mean I was just asked how I attained so many clubcard points, so what will they do- check my clubcard statements?

penguin

Not your statements more the data showing when and where your points came from.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Bahir

What sort of questions can I expect at this next investigation meeting?

penguin

Hard to say really, but most likely around the incident of you using the staff clubcard for the family member and expect to be asked questions about your understanding of the policy on such matters.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Redshoes

The information is limited in store but if Clubcard are involved there is a lot more information that an be gathered. Sometimes Clubcard contact a store to trigger investigation.

Bahir

Thanks for your help guys. As I say- the disciplinary was yesterday and I was waiting on a decision- but they said it will go to another investigation. Is that in my favour, there's or a mix of both?

lucgeo

I have sent you a PM
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Mrbline

How  time frames from investigation being done to   my displeny was planned in but adjourned  as my rep couldn't come 3 weeks have past still no 2nd meeting

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk