News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 02:16AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 311
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 281
Total: 281

Face Masks

Started by Welshie, 10-07-20, 10:20AM

Previous topic - Next topic

expressman77

Quote from: Nomad on 09-08-20, 11:38AM
I would imagine there would be some claustrophobics that have a problem with having a mask over their nose and mouth.  Some may even work in a supermarket due to its general nature of being large and open.
i did mean if you havent a health issue

taichi

I received a written message from the manager to sign:
Dear Tesco Employee,
It is essential we adhere to looking(?) after our welfare within work and we request the folowing:
1.When entering and exiting the premises you were(?)face coverings at all times
2.When on your breaks-purchasing-going outside-or-canteen/cafe you wear face coverings
There are not Tesco request,these are purely stated by the Goverment as part of its Law implemented Strategy set out for Shoppers protection.
It is Vital you read,understand and fully comply to this letter as any further occurrences may lead to investigatory due to Gross misconduct and could lead to your dismissal from the Company.

Morris999

I fail to see what the issue is with the letter other than some bad spelling.
If you are physically not being paid, then you wear a face covering on the shop floor unless you are covered by the exemptions.
Seems there’s an issue either with yourself or in your store where colleagues are failing to adhere to government guidelines/law, and the managers are reminding you off that.

penguin

Quote from: taichi on 16-08-20, 04:25PM
Dear Tesco Employee,
It is essential we adhere to looking(?) after our welfare within work and we request the folowing:
2.When on your breaks-purchasing-going outside-or-canteen/cafe you wear face coverings
There are not Tesco request,these are purely stated by the Goverment as part of its Law implemented Strategy set out for Shoppers protection.
It is Vital you read,understand and fully comply to this letter as any further occurrences may lead to investigatory due to Gross misconduct and could lead to your dismissal from the Company.

No issue with face masks but where has that letter come from, was it just something your boss wrote up or is it an actual Tesco document ?
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

BUY TESLA STOCK

If an “employee” you do not have to wear a face covering during working hours by law it is only a Tesco recommendation. I have been told it is policy but have yet to see one. I have also been told it is a  “reasonable request” for a manager to ask/question colleagues on the wearing of a covering. We do not question customers and an employee is no different.

If a “customer” you have to wear a face covering by law. The police however are never going to enforce this as they do not have the resources. People could also have an medical reason not to wear a covering and police have no power to probe about individuals private medical matters.

Long and short face coverings only need to be worn if using or entering/exiting the store when not considered an “employee” as per your paid working hours unless you are exempt as a “employee” and “customer”.

Have heard managers say  “how can we expect customers to wear coverings when none of the employees are” This should not even be a consideration we are not working to be an example to the customer.

notsofunny

Quote from: Morris999 on 16-08-20, 05:11PM
If you are physically not being paid, then you wear a face covering on the shop floor unless you are covered by the exemptions.
Seems there’s an issue either with yourself or in your store where colleagues are failing to adhere to government guidelines/law, and the managers are reminding you off that.

Its seems to be pointing out that when you are not working , Like shopping in store you are just like anyone else ,just a customer so should be sticking to the rules ,, It maters not if it is if it comes from head office or if its something that's been pointed out by Managers ,

taichi

Quote from: penguin on 16-08-20, 05:54PM
Dear Tesco Employee,

No issue with face masks but where has that letter come from, was it just something your boss wrote up or is it an actual Tesco document ?

This document was given to each employee.No one signed it as the author.There is no indication that this is an official Tesco document.There is only room for my and my manager's signature and the date of course.

taichi

Quote from: notsofunny on 16-08-20, 08:04PM

Its seems to be pointing out that when you are not working , Like shopping in store you are just like anyone else ,just a customer so should be sticking to the rules ,, It maters not if it is if it comes from head office or if its something that's been pointed out by Managers ,

I agree, but it also says:
"There are Medical exemptions to not using Face PPE,for this we request you provide your direct Team Manager documentation of your exemption as to make other arrangements and to support you within your role and dept."

taichi

No Tesco official document requires you to wear a mask, so information about possible disciplinary action and / or dismissal is a bit exaggerated.

gaz123

If that's word-for-word a copy of what your manager wrote, then clearly a shortfall in basic literacy skills is no barrier to an ascent into management with Tesco.

taichi

[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]

There is one more interesting fragment in this document:
"..............every individual must adhere with No PPE(Personal Product Protection)......"
Apparently he was trying to write something on his own and it didn't work out well.

Bacons

Dear Tesco Employee,

Write F on it before you give it back to her.

Bacons

Quote from: gaz123 on 17-08-20, 01:24AM
If that's word-for-word a copy of what your manager wrote, then clearly a shortfall in basic literacy skills is no barrier to an ascent into management with Tesco.

Education is the main barrier to Tesco's institutionalisation of its management.

NightAndDay

Most store managers are illiterate or innumerate, chances are he/she printed it off.

Poolboy77

Can I just ask what would happen if there was a chemical attack and we had to all wear masks would people refuse to wear them due to health grounds. It going against the grain here but it’s down to everyone to wear a mask to keep infection rates down. I completely agree that as a colleague you should be made to sign a disclaimer that your are refusing to wear one. If you were to then be infected would you then end up putting a claim in against the company ? I think the company should protect it self from any potential claim that people will no doubt put in.

taichi

If a chemical attack had taken place, the mask that Tesco offers to workers would not help at all. -))
TESCO does not force anyone to sign a non-sue commitment, as it is impossible to prove whether someone was infected at work or elsewhere.

I put the content of the document mainly to ask if other colleagues received a similar form?

lucgeo

I think the point being made was... If a threat of chemical attack, would people refuse to don a chemical protective face mask  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

sammy

Today Tesco and USDAW have written a joint letter to all colleagues asking for their support in wearing face coverings in stores across the UK.

Dear colleagues,

The last few months have been challenging to say the least for all our colleagues in stores who have been working hard to serve our customers during the COVID-19 pandemic. We recognise that for some this challenge has been compounded by the recently introduced requirement for customers to wear face coverings in stores. Face coverings are also mandatory for colleagues in Scotland and strongly recommended for colleagues in all other parts of the UK.

Please do remember though, that the guidance stresses, that as well as wearing a face covering, everyone must:

• practice safe social distancing;
• wash or sanitise your hands regularly; and
• frequently clean and disinfect objects and surfaces
as these are the most effective ways that you can protect yourself and others from COVID-19.
Face coverings are mainly intended to protect others, not the wearer, against the spread of infection because they cover the nose and mouth, which are the main confirmed sources of transmission of the virus that causes infection from COVID-19.We recognise that some colleagues and customers are exempt from wearing face coverings. It has been made clear that retailers are not expected to police/enforce the wearing of face coverings by customers. However, we have used clear signage reminding customers of the need to wear them in store. We believe this is the best approach to protect colleagues from unnecessary confrontations with customers and line with Tesco’s values of treating people how they want to be treated. For our colleagues, we are strongly encouraging those who are not exempt from wearing face coverings to wear them in customer facing areas of the store and have made masks available to colleagues who choose to wear them since April.

We are committed to creating a safe environment for our colleagues and customers and from the outset of the pandemic in the UK have implemented measures across our stores to minimise the risk of COVID-19 transmission to colleagues and customers. However, none of us knows if we are carrying the virus asymptomatically at any given time and unwittingly infecting others and colleagues must stay vigilant to the need to comply with the Government’s COVID-19 guidance. Disappointingly we are now starting to see the usage of face coverings decline amongst colleagues in stores to a level which is making other colleagues who do wear them feel unsafe and unprotected. We understand that wearing a face covering is uncomfortable and unpleasant for many, particularly during hot weather which we have seen recently. We would ask you to think about your fellow colleagues and customers and please wear a face covering whenever you are in a customer facing area â€" unless you are behind a protective screen or have a valid exemption. If you believe you are exempt or have any concerns about using a face covering then please speak to your manager.

We acknowledge that there have been some challenges in implementing this change but we hope that by continuing to take this voluntary approach on face coverings, which is supported by USDAW, we can ensure that our colleagues and customers continue to be protected and return home safe to their family and loved ones every day.

Welshie

So they want colleagues to wear masks in customer areas ? It's really about wanting to look safe to customers or does the virus not exist in warehouse,  canteen etc.   They obviously only care about appearances .

StinkyPoo

How come other supermarkets don't wear them then? Don't USDAW represent them too?

King1999

Got me on creating a safe environment......the jokes keep coming 👌😂😂😂😂

taichi

Quote from: StinkyPoo on 25-08-20, 07:29PM
How come other supermarkets don't wear them then? Don't USDAW represent them too?

Worth checking out:
Any businesses or staff who challenge people who are not wearing a face mask may end up dealing with someone who has a disability and, depending on how the situation develops, they may find they have committed:

an offence for which they are liable on summary conviction to pay a fine of up to £5,000 - section 112 (Aiding contraventions) of the  Equality Act 2010; and/or

an act of disability discrimination and be ordered to pay to any individual who suffers injury to feelings compensation between £900 and  £9,000 - section 119 (Remedies) of the Equality Act 2010.

1man2jobs

Practice safe social distancing.. oh yeah gang fill on aisles 22, 23 and 24

Pathfinder

Hi just asking what is happening in stores regarding customers entering the store without face masks .   Having just been brought in Wales somewhat behind England   ...are customers stopped at door or freely allowed to wander into the store. We have been told to let anyone into the shop mask or no mask . We are getting more abuse from customers wearing masks for allowing non wearing customers to walk in the shop.

fscer

Tell the customer its not for them or you to police. Its none of their business.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk