News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 09:57AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,364
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 516
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 407
Total: 410

Pandemics & Tesco's policy

Started by Orangutan, 24-02-20, 09:51AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spidercatcher

It's heartbreaking to read of so many stories of people who probably shouldn't be working at all, putting either themselves or the lives of their families at risk, yet are classed as 'key workers' and have to keep on keeping on regardless. Maybe just not as much a risk as others  ... at risk, but, in my opinion, if you're AT RISK at all, let's be honest, you're AT RISK of actually DYING if you catch this horrible virus or passing it on to family members AT RISK.

Here's an idea - Why not let people volunteer to work these roles if they wish, and pay them most handsomely (and I mean seriously big money, not a pathetic 10% bonus) e.g. the young and the fit with no family members at home 'at risk'  ... those who may be willing to take on the roles of 'key workers'.

just curious

If your store or distribution centre has any agency workers in the store or distribution centre that have been there for some length of time , then what are there  entitlements and rights regarding furloughed pay or sick pay etc should they become ill or go in to isolation due to living with vulnerable or elderly persons seeing as Tosco pay the agency's for these staff then the agency's pass these payments onto the persons that they have placed into the roles on behalf of Tosco . How should the agency's concerned be looking after these staff and paying them under these circumstances ?

RandomJim

Yup ... I pulled off the government guidelines and that says that if people SHOULD get the flu jab then they should work from home if possible ... granted I can’t work from home but all those who have asthma and who regular get an inhaler (no matter the dose or substance) should be allowed the 12 weeks.
They’re taking their spin on it ... the worse thing is ... they have to pay me more to go in now ... what an idiotic thing!!
(And it isn’t a silver lining ... I’d happily give the 10% back to stay away from the place)

Quote from: Spidercatcher on 29-03-20, 12:30AM
It's heartbreaking to read of so many stories of people who probably shouldn't be working at all, putting either themselves or the lives of their families at risk, yet are classed as 'key workers' and have to keep on keeping on regardless. Maybe just not as much a risk as others  ... at risk, but, in my opinion, if you're AT RISK at all, let's be honest, you're AT RISK of actually DYING if you catch this horrible virus or passing it on to family members AT RISK.

Here's an idea - Why not let people volunteer to work these roles if they wish, and pay them most handsomely (and I mean seriously big money, not a pathetic 10% bonus) e.g. the young and the fit with no family members at home 'at risk'  ... those who may be willing to take on the roles of 'key workers'.

Rad

Quote from: blueberet on 26-03-20, 09:31PM
Rad you are incorrect, it depends entirely on why you are in isolation. If you are the one with symptoms then yes it's 7 days then sick. If it's someone in your household then it's 14 days but if you develop symptoms in that 14 day period you start a 7 day isolation yourself then after that 7 days you are then coded sick. So in theory you could be on paid absence for 20/21days.

Yes Im aware you can isolate paid for longer.  The flow chart is on every canteen wall in the company explaining this. 

I was replying to the fact that after isolation it moves onto the regular absence process.

https://www.ourtesco.com/working-at-tesco/coronavirus-latest-update/help-and-guidance-for-colleagues/quick-guide-to-self-isolation/

Redshoes

Quote from: Bubbles1234 on 28-03-20, 11:27AM
I live with my parents i have told my manager i am isolating myself he said just keep a distance i said no he said will go through options because i dont have symptoms he said no need to isolate i have ignored him maybe if he come downstairs and support wont be struggling its hard I've not had time off in 5 years and in situations like this i dont have a choice thanks for all the advice

Regardless of your parents, you should not be in work with a cough.
People living with vulnerable people can continue to work. A fellow colleague is off due to serious underlying health issues but his wife is a nurse and is still working but neither showing symptoms. As soon as you show symptoms you should not be going to work. As far as your parents go, that is a conversation you need to have. However, you need to stay well away from them with your cough.

Nomad

The problem as I see it is that I'm sure it has been said that we are contagious before we show symptoms,  and if you live with anyone with one or more of the serious health issues, you won't just be making them ill, there is a good chance they will die.  A risk you think anybody should take ? I don't  :thumbdown:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Tinkerbell1234

Yes i have self isolated myself 7 days  then if i have more time off its unpaid I am getting alot of problems with my manager lately he dont care I am struggling  all he does is shout and lies alot he dont want me there so trying to make my work life hard  I hate going to work  why cant the company see some managers are bullies and get away with it

lucgeo

A live update from BBC professional dr William Bird, stating there are two lists...
The "at high risk" are people who should not go out at all...and should be isolated from people they live with, such as seperate bedrooms, having meals brought to them, using family bathroom etc...should be kept highly cleaned...these are the ones getting a letter

The "at risk" are people who should only go out when necessary...these do not get a letter.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

RandomJim

And yet tesco say you need to prove it.
But I think that’s wrong ... the at risk group is anyone with chronic asthma ... I can prove that ... I can show my prescriptions since the early 90s.

Quote from: lucgeo on 29-03-20, 05:00PM
A live update from BBC professional dr William Bird, stating there are two lists...
The "at high risk" are people who should not go out at all...and should be isolated from people they live with, such as seperate bedrooms, having meals brought to them, using family bathroom etc...should be kept highly cleaned...these are the ones getting a letter

The "at risk" are people who should only go out when necessary...these do not get a letter.

blueberet

What is everyone's thoughts on CDAs training new drivers? I heard from a colleague today that after many drivers refused the manager said that it wasn't a request that could be refused and he had had a briefing to say that it was fine, after further refusals he said that he would get face masks and gloves. Someone eventually decided to take them since they had a heavy run, but what happens if everyone refuses?

lucgeo

Everyone continue to refuse...they shouldn't be putting trainers in the same cab as drivers...not the 2m rule of distance...also masks and gloves are to stop the wearers spreading it, not the wearers from becoming affected, as they are not airtight enough! Refuse...refuse...refuse...what's the manager going to do?? Suspend you all for refusing a reasonable request?? Yep...good luck with that one matey!! :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

dfl

Saw Asda out the other day 2 people in van, I agree shouldn't be happening.
DFL

surlaroute

Quote from: lucgeo on 29-03-20, 06:50PM
Everyone continue to refuse...they shouldn't be putting trainers in the same cab as drivers...not the 2m rule of distance...also masks and gloves are to stop the wearers spreading it, not the wearers from becoming affected, as they are not airtight enough! Refuse...refuse...refuse...what's the manager going to do?? Suspend you all for refusing a reasonable request?? Yep...good luck with that one matey!! :-X

not even reasonable, government mandated… I wish we just had clear guidelines at my place. They're letting us go upstairs for longer breaks n stuff but when that stretches to where I can just watch a whole movie on my shift like I did yesterday I can't help but feel guilty and like why not just send me home it'd be even safer (cos it even gets unsafe upstairs at a point) like… just still tesco mindset in place now endangering lives.

Shazzy

Would it not be a good idea to have all customers and colleagues wear masks, 2meters is not a safe distance if a person coughs or sneezes and it's not into an elbow or tissue. The distance is 8meters and the spray can  hang in the air for over 2 hours - this can then be inhaled  by anyone walking through it!!
This covid s*** is spreading fast and everything to stop it must be done! :(

surlaroute

Quote from: Shazzy on 29-03-20, 10:08PM
Would it not be a good idea to have all customers and colleagues wear masks, 2meters is not a safe distance if a person coughs or sneezes and it's not into an elbow or tissue. The distance is 8meters and the spray can  hang in the air for over 2 hours - this can then be inhaled  by anyone walking through it!!

nobody will do anything until we start dropping, n I'm not nostradamus but I would put money on that happeneing in the next 2 weeks. Maybe then they'll give us better protection/incentives. When morale falls even further through the floor than it already was

Mathias casablancas

Quote from: Shazzy on 29-03-20, 10:08PM

This would be ideal in a perfect world. Most of the articles of have read seem to agree that an infected person wearing a mask is more beneficial than the other way round: A person wearing a mask to stop themselves getting infected. So if everyone in the store was wearing a mask it would be pretty safe.

These sort of measures have probably got to come from Government more than Tesco though. I do wish the goverment would be a bit more proactive with their ideas though, it seems as if at the moment the plan is to copy what Italy are doing but 2 weeks later because our crisis isnt as bad as theirs. Italy is the most f***ed country in the world with this virus so Im not sure why we are looking at them for inspiration, we should be trying stuff they havent imposed

Welshie

I noticed lots of customers wearing masks last week and think this should be encouraged as it protects staff from them coughing etc

Scruff

All staff should definitely have masks bar check out staff who have the plastic shields on the check out

Mathias casablancas

What’s the situation regarding masks? If you have your own are you allowed to wear it at work? On Twitter some colleagues saying they are wearing masks but others are saying they are not allowed?

Scruff

I hope by time I’m back in work on Friday that colleagues are allowed to wear masks

dairyfresh

Social distancing and regular handwashing remain the most effective ways to
protect yourself and others from Covid-19. However, we understand that there may be occasions when this is difficult, especially when working in a busy store or delivering goods to our customers.

We understand that colleagues may wish to use disposable facemasks and/or disposable gloves in situations where social distancing and regular handwashing may be difficult, and to support we will be allocating these to stores.
Wearing gloves and masks does not replace good handwashing practices and does not necessarily reduce the risk of infection. It is extremely important that these are used correctly to avoid increasing the risk of infection.
Detailed guidance is available on Stores Help Centre and has been communicated to store, lead and duty shift managers in all stores and customer fulfilment centres via Communication Centre, project title: Colleague guidance for use of disposable gloves and face masks.

That was on last Tuesdays coranvirus update thread on support centre

taliahad

Quote from: Scruff on 30-03-20, 12:38PM
All staff should definitely have masks bar check out staff who have the plastic shields on the check out

That seems unfair.  The plastic shields in our store seem very disappointing and they seem to be in the wrong place, they don't look like they offer much protection, if any at all.  There's nothing between the cashier and the customer packing the shopping. 

Redshoes

Quote from: dairyfresh on 30-03-20, 03:16PM
Social distancing and regular handwashing remain the most effective ways to
protect yourself and others from Covid-19. However, we understand that there may be occasions when this is difficult, especially when working in a busy store or delivering goods to our customers.

We understand that colleagues may wish to use disposable facemasks and/or disposable gloves in situations where social distancing and regular handwashing may be difficult, and to support we will be allocating these to stores.
Wearing gloves and masks does not replace good handwashing practices and does not necessarily reduce the risk of infection. It is extremely important that these are used correctly to avoid increasing the risk of infection.
Detailed guidance is available on Stores Help Centre and has been communicated to store, lead and duty shift managers in all stores and customer fulfilment centres via Communication Centre, project title: Colleague guidance for use of disposable gloves and face masks.

That was on last Tuesdays coranvirus update thread on support centre

You must change mask if you touch it. If you have bugs on hands and touch mask you are transferring to your face. You must change anyway after a given time. Masks are best used by a person who may already have the virus.

merryoldfart

https://www.thelancet.com/coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR3sV6fXh-EPWRBLteSV_HX5J_kdYYjbMnggV8rQw52ct9lpU1qY6M7b2W4

does anyone have a copy of the mangers booklet about procedure concerning  social distancing and cordoning off aisles when staff are working on them?

Pimpernel19

Quote from: Welshie on 03-03-20, 12:51PM
There has been a minimum amount of cases throughout the UK,  it's hardly a national emergency although could turn into one . The people most at risk are the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions.  Most elderly will be retired and not working at Tesco , for those with other conditions there is very little you can do . My husband has stage 4 cancer and was told by his oncologist  yesterday to carry on as normal.  I dont think the scaremongering helps anyone .

You still of the same opinion? 1408 dead and the country in lock down... Take your foot out of your mouth and sterilise it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk