Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-04-24, 07:57PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,430
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 610
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 551
Total: 552

Management Restructure?

Started by Tsportyhead, 13-09-16, 09:36AM

Previous topic - Next topic

picktocube

Pretty much going back to how the DCs were run in the 1980s and 1990s then . And ,the way the stores are changing ,they seem to be going back to the old srtuctures as well.

redders

Back to the 1980's and 1990's isn't that when tosco had the reputation of being not a nice place to work, so the big chiefs decided to up the hourly rate make it the best in retailing give better benefits yearly pay rise including premiums, good shifts get rid of twilight fill over night, plenty of staff doing the job that they were interviewed and hired for. And let's not forget an explosion of senior management, mmm wonder what customers and potential employees will think of the company in 6 months. :'(

Duracell

Quote from: snowyowl on 04-10-16, 07:26PM
From what I understand clerks will run and manage the podiums ( at a slightly raised rate) whilst the remaining managers will manage the shop floor. As for accountability (measured work) I have no idea how this could be possibly achieved.  8-) 8-)

I have heard the Term Team leaders being used, it may be down to individual opinions about choice of words.

However the point is you can't have the accountability for operational decisions at work level 1, it is simply to much accountability for that pay grade.

What happens if Goods in or loading go tits up in any given shift and chaos happens, it's simply not fair that a person, clerk or team leader what ever the title but more important work level 1 is held accountable for the chaos, if they are not accountable then that will in itself create its own chaos.

Operational organisation needs accountability that accountability can't come from work level 1s the pay grade does not warrent the accountability and responsibility.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Doesnymatter

Is this the plan we've all been waiting for, getting rid of team support??

nolotil

Quote from: Duracell on 05-10-16, 12:16AM
From what I understand clerks will run and manage the podiums ( at a slightly raised rate) whilst the remaining managers will manage the shop floor. As for accountability (measured work) I have no idea how this could be possibly achieved.  8-) 8-)

I have heard the Term Team leaders being used, it may be down to individual opinions about choice of words.

However the point is you can't have the accountability for operational decisions at work level 1, it is simply to much accountability for that pay grade.

What happens if Goods in or loading go tits up in any given shift and chaos happens, it's simply not fair that a person, clerk or team leader what ever the title but more important work level 1 is held accountable for the chaos, if they are not accountable then that will in itself create its own chaos.

Operational organisation needs accountability that accountability can't come from work level 1s the pay grade does not warrent the accountability and responsibility.

Team leaders isn't the job title, I believe its "Support Clerk". I think this role will be used as a route to "progress" within the company, even though now natural progression has basically ended.

Operational issues will now be sorted by these "want to be's", the kind that are are even worse that the worst manager currently. The type that will do, say or drop anyone it to make the progression to a "Bigger" role. Just my opinion.

nolotil

Quote from: Doesnymatter on 05-10-16, 09:30AM
Is this the plan we've all been waiting for, getting rid of team support??

Team support? Please explain

Doesnymatter

Team support as in what the old front end team leaders are now known as

nolotil

Quote from: Doesnymatter on 05-10-16, 11:14AM

Never been team leaders in distribution?

snowyowl

Lets be honest in DC's Team Managers are really only Team Leaders as they certainly aren't allowed to manage anything  >:( >:(

Justice96

Distribution is not a very nice place to work at the best of times, it's a case of moving boxes as efficiently/cheaply as possible. Now the restructure is all the managers are talking about. Managers are trying to work out what the new job roles will look like and how they will work, but also keep thinking that the job will be the same, just with less managers, which is probably a very long way from being accurate. But when depots are quiet, and they have 2 managers stood on each podium not doing anything, with a total combined salary of at least 250k, it's easy to see why the company is looking at the re-structure.

Duracell

Quote from: nolotil on 05-10-16, 11:39AM
Quote from: Doesnymatter on 05-10-16, 11:14AM

Never been team leaders in distribution?

There have been, a while ago but there were Team leaders roles. Mid to late 90's.

As for Team support, distribution had something similar Ops Support.

And yes.
Quote from: nolotil on 05-10-16, 09:38AM
Quote from: Duracell on 05-10-16, 12:16AM

Team leaders isn't the job title, I believe its "Support Clerk". I think this role will be used as a route to "progress" within the company, even though now natural progression has basically ended.

Operational issues will now be sorted by these "want to be's", the kind that are are even worse that the worst manager currently. The type that will do, say or drop anyone it to make the progression to a "Bigger" role. Just my opinion.

That's what ops support amounted to. They got rid of it for whatever reason they thought of, campaign to reduce unproductive hours I believe, hours not on the clock being timed.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Arizonarugby

If you read the press today regarding Tesco plans for the future, Dave Lewis quotes "This will be achieved through £1.5bn of further cost cutting" .

It's not hard to guess exactly what he means by this - more redundancies, a reduction hours / pay GA's , all tasks /hours that require a premium payment reduced /removed.

There is one thing for sure , if they could , the company would run distribution purely with agency staff - so everybody in distribution should be looking over their shoulders !!!!!

nolotil

Or 3rd party running of distribution

picktocube

Quote from: Arizonarugby on 05-10-16, 11:00PM
..............  There is one thing for sure , if they could , the company would run distribution purely with agency staff - so everybody in distribution should be looking over their shoulders !!!!!
Possibly ,but can they get enough agency staff in?   The DC that I am at probably has the lowest % of agency staff compared to other DC s and over the last few months they are really struggling to get more agency staff in.

fargone

If someone offers them £1.00p per hour more, they are offski.

nolotil

Quote from: picktocube on 06-10-16, 02:56PM
Quote from: Arizonarugby on 05-10-16, 11:00PM
..............  There is one thing for sure , if they could , the company would run distribution purely with agency staff - so everybody in distribution should be looking over their shoulders !!!!!
Possibly ,but can they get enough agency staff in?   The DC that I am at probably has the lowest % of agency staff compared to other DC s and over the last few months they are really struggling to get more agency staff in.

No I am talking about a 3rd party taking over the whole of distribution, doesnt matter how many agency staff they can get in. If they have the whole contract it doesn't matter.

picktocube

I can't see that happening either .Plenty of DCs have in the past been run by 3rd party operators ,but most came back in-house .

Some DCs have their transport run by 3rd party ,if this was totally successful then all  of them would have been moved over by now .

CoffeeGate

Am i correct in thinking that if T***O were to reduce the numbers of WL1's in distribution through redundancies, that the agencies would have to be cut first? Surely it would be wrong to remove permanent staff in favour of retaining contractors?

Lichfield and Hinckley may be pilot schemes but with them actually cutting WL2's now it is inevitable that this pilot will be made to work in some shape or form. February is the end date for the scheme so the restructures throughout distribution will no doubt come in around this time after the 'successful' pilot.

The managers are starting to panic at our DC, they are trying to work out how many and who will be going, in my personal opinion there are only a few who are deserving of the word 'Manager' the rest have just been winging it and getting away with it for a long time. Its been a long time coming this restructure but as we've all seen what has happened in stores the last couple of years this was only a matter of time.

snowyowl

:'( I'm with Arizonarugby on this one I think Tosco would love to have a mainly agency staff for their DC's, think of the money it would save them. In saying that I think most DC's in their site agreement state that agency can be no more than about 30% of the workforce (i'm sure you'll let me know if I am wrong) So with that in mind I'm sure Usbore won't let them sneak that one in.  :D

Duracell

It's unlikely that you will see a reduction in warehouse numbers whilst agency hours increase, having said that if the workforce don't resist such an action, in terms of can they? That would be down to, the proposal, the reasoning, and the reception all of those required details would get.

Some DC's are Hiring full time staff so in terms of a generic plan to reduce full time warehouse numbers via redundancy very very unlikely, having said that a plan to reduce the Cost of full time staff could happen and the possibilities  of what such a plan would look like ? How long is a piece of string?

A plan to reduce numbers in the warehouse... Not likely.

A plan to address multi tier pay in singular locations or across all sites ... The climate and company mentality suggests distribution in parts would be lucky if it didn't happen.

Duracell.

snowyowl

I'm sure if the DC I work at could get agency workers they would flood the place. The place has such a bad reputation (justified) they struggle to employ anybody.   :'( :'( :'(

fargone

When the UK does eventually leave the EU, there won't be the freedom of movement policy.

whiterabbit

Interesting to see how they find new staff when the brexit button is pushed.No more eastern Europeans to fill cheap labour roles. 

Duracell

This will depend on the brexit negotiation and how existing immigration status will be handled.
It definetly will impact on the ability to supply new staff, I don't think it will impact on those already resident in the Uk.

The only way current numbers will reduce is if those already working in the uk have apply to stay which then may involve a process where applicants are scrutinised which doesn't currently happen the EU free movement rules. Where applicants to stay could be checked, history may show a limited element that are undesirable, these applicants may be refused the opportunity to stay.

That scenario would be a lengthy, complex and expensive screening process which seems unlikely.

Duracell.

snowyowl

I agree I don't think how we brexit will impact on existing economic migrants (in no way racist, that's what they are) and I don't think that the Government will get involved in any expensive screening process. What I do feel lately at my place of work is that there is some form of change going on. The agency supplied staff we are getting don't appear to be staying long as there are new faces constantly. I don't know if these people are just acquiring the training and moving to pastures greener or simply don't want to work at Tosco. I have never witnessed a time when so many agency fail to attend. It is no doubt going to be an interesting couple of years.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk