News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:46PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,119
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 286
Total: 290

New contract concerns

Started by Paper Rose, 26-05-22, 10:39AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomezz

Thing is like any complicated bit of machinery, you break it down then put it back together again and find a bit left over which you throw away as it must be redundant then wonder why the machinery doesn't work as well as it did before.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Bobmay

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 26-05-22, 06:09PM@paper rose ,all you have to do is read it and see if its a contract or not,if its a contract it,l have your weekly wage and hours on the front,as for redundancy,if the company offered you same hours ,pay doing a different job there is no redundancy,i assume your a day merchandiser

I work nights at an express store.We have had over half the staff leave the night shift with not 1 new person coming. The manager is also pressuring staff which is forcing them to leave.The delivery is also coming in early around 3 in the afternoon.In my store I believe there will be removal of nights.

Bobmay

Quote from: stockcontroller on 03-07-22, 05:50AM
Quote from: londoner83 on 02-07-22, 08:04AMBe interesting to see the effects on store's stock results of the now much reduced stock control routines.....

Also when colleagues are multi-tasking on various departments every day under the new contract who do you hold accountable if a task isn't delivered?

Honestly I am so grateful I took the redundancy cash when I did. I really don't know what the company thinks but stock control is necessary. If we book stocked every count we had then we'd have 3x the stock the next week. As I said I am so happy I bailed in 2019 and I feel so sorry for stock controllers that are left as you will be called onto checkouts constantly and you'll be flexed up onto dot com if your store has it.

As I said I am so happy I bailed in 2019. As from what Tesco has shown it was clearly the last year they were willing to pay redundancy.

There will be more redundancy soon.The first being more nights from some stores the second being removing manager from big stores and have lots of shift leaders and 1 store manager.

Bobmay

Quote from: lucgeo on 10-07-22, 11:18AMTesco have relied upon "natural wastage" before, hoping older colleagues would leave and then not replace them. However this hasn't, on the whole,  been the case. As the retirement age was increased by 6 years for women, who are the higher % of employee's in stores, redundancies became inevitable in some departments, as being the only solution for the streamlining needed.

Hence the reason, a few years back, of changing the name badges from department specific to customer assistant. Now they're changing the contracts, everyone to be fully trained and not have a specific department, or even store it would seem  ???

Would it be more cost productive to offer a buyout, as the remaining long service workforce may need to be working those extra years, and as we know, old age doesn't come on its own, it brings a whole load of problems with it, mainly in ill health  :(

It depends upon the store.When tesco reaches the the point where they are close to aldi and lidl working positions than they will remove even more staff.

fatlad

Anyone any idea when the new contract comes into effect? Specifically looking at notice periods. Drivers notice period goes from 1 week to 4 when the new contract starts.

fscer

kaled78

so we were told today by a manager who has just transferred into our store that when we are all trained to pick,we must hit the stores pick rate in order to be signed off as trained,and failure to do so could result in disiplinary action!,where do they get these idiots from

Sherwoodforest

If thats the case,would someone off dot com have to fill at same speed as me?i smell bs as its not your primary dept
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

madness

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 25-09-22, 07:48PMIf thats the case,would someone off dot com have to fill at same speed as me?i smell bs as its not your primary dept
Agreed,

However picking dot com doesnt take long to get fast at. Finishing cages does take a long time to learn

lucgeo

Wouldn't that depend on the pick?? Same as the cage dept? H&B cage takes a damn sight longer than crisps or toilet rolls.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

londoner83

Can see multiple issues with exactly this point when the new contract takes effect. Doris a 64yr old cashier is never going to be able to fill tins as fast for example as a 18yr old Abdul.

Plus if you are passionate about one area are you going to put maximum effort into a 1hr slot on another?

That's before the issues with accountability take over....."why is today's waste so high? - Well Gemma worked part of the delivery, then Rupesh, then Rob and 2 others did the review......"

kaled78

Any idea why pre 2005 employees are still having to do the checkout part of the training online, even though the union has already stated the agreement still stands and they are exempt, also we have cashiers with health ailments, that are being made to do the 'pick and fill' training even though they are incapable of doing either of those roles.

Sherwoodforest

Pre 2005 doesnt cover you for self serve or scan as you shop tills and 64 yr old doris can still fill checkout crisps,sweets surely which is lighter than lifting beer,pop to scan it

Bobmay

Quote from: kaled78 on 27-09-22, 08:21PMAny idea why pre 2005 employees are still having to do the checkout part of the training online, even though the union has already stated the agreement still stands and they are exempt, also we have cashiers with health ailments, that are being made to do the 'pick and fill' training even though they are incapable of doing either of those roles.

If for health reason they can't do that than they need to inform the manager or their line manager. As for training just because somone does it doesnt mean they will do it.

londoner83

Believe management is supposed to refer to Occupational Health anyone with any health condition that they believe makes them unable to do any part of pick/fill/serve. That way an agreed support plan can be set up and scheduler will be set up so they are not assigned tasks that are beyond them.

lucgeo

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 27-09-22, 08:53PMPre 2005 doesnt cover you for self serve or scan as you shop tills and 64 yr old doris can still fill checkout crisps,sweets surely which is lighter than lifting beer,pop to scan it
A lot of Doris' would welcome the light fill in my experience, for a change of scenery and to stretch their old bones!

My argument with the SS and SAYS, is that the task is a checkout task, as in checking out the customer, therefore is a grey area regarding the 2005 agreement. Where's it written and agreed that they're not included?

Sherwoodforest

It was written in briefing pack for serve,pick,fill on our tesco website,

lucgeo

Where was it written that it overrides the 2005 agreement  ???

Bobmay

Quote from: londoner83 on 28-09-22, 07:37AMBelieve management is supposed to refer to Occupational Health anyone with any health condition that they believe makes them unable to do any part of pick/fill/serve. That way an agreed support plan can be set up and scheduler will be set up so they are not assigned tasks that are beyond them.

Occupational health isn't compulsory

Sherwoodforest

On our tesco,collegue help its explained under supporting collegues with serve,pick,fill training in a pdf,explains the 2005 agreement

londoner83

Agree occupational health isn't compulsory but if you have a genuine medical or mental health issue why wouldn't you seek their advice?

With a company the size of Tesco any recommendations will be expected to be capable of being implemented. Plus there reports can be used to back up any employee who wishes to opt out of doing certain tasks/hours/shifts etc on health grounds.

chris9997

What we have been told is that the new contract serve pick and fill will have all staff trained on every dept, those that say they have a health condition will be referred to OH if they agree then they will be pensioned off, so it appears the company has decided all ready the outcomes.

Nomad

That sounds like it could clash with the DDA.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Guerilla In The Mist

Via the union, but relevant to all colleagues. Ignore the misinformation that some (managers and co-workers) have been passing off as fact. This new contract is actually putting workers in control of their own working time:

"You will be aware that the new contracts within Tesco are due to launch from 16 October 2022. In the lead up to this, the Union wanted to ensure members are fully aware of their rights under the new contracts and some of the opportunities that will be created by them. We will be sending a series of emails in the coming weeks setting out information on different elements of the contract.

AVAILABILITY

Members should have had discussions with their managers over the summer where their availability was captured to be fed into the new system.

Remember – no existing member of staff needs to provide any additional availability beyond their core contracted hours. If you have not provided additional availability this means that your existing hours will be fixed and you will continue to work the same pattern as you do now.

If you have provided additional availability this means that your contractual hours may move around within the week and not be on the same days and times every week.

If you are unsure about what availability you have provided or have any concerns that you may have made a mistake please ensure you raise this with your manager ahead of 16 October 2022.   

You have the right to fix your hours up to the point that the contracts go live on 16 October.   

If you remain unsure, speak to your Usdaw Rep or Official or contact the Union's Tesco Support Team."

kaled78

im on a fixed contract starting at 9am,I offered to give them availabity from 5am,as I have always been an early riser,but got told by my manager not to as she needs me later in the day and she does not want other departments pinching my working hours

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk