News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 02:40AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 311
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 280
Total: 281

Medical records

Started by dfl, 03-10-21, 08:36AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfl

Been off several weeks, medical scans/investigations done as of yet inconclusive as to what is wrong, going back to work on light duties and also likely to a.r and maybe investigation, still have further medical scan to get even tho going back to work. Question:- just in case tesco try to give me grief what exactly in my medical records are tesco allowed to see as i dont think they're currently pleased that a definite diagnosis has been made yet (6 weeks roughly off). Its my choice to go back on light duties and gp is in agreement (I've followed gp advice from start to finish)
DFL

horatiocain

Firstly no AR, over 4 weeks is covered under the long term policy and you should have had a wellness meeting 2 weeks ago.

Secondly only OH can ask for access to medical information and contact your GP, not Tesco themselves, there's a reason to keep this wall between the two.
You only ha e to give them what they need  but remember it's it's 2 way street  if you ask for adaptations to be made you need to supply information.

Your wellness .eating should have covered all this and had the referral to OH

ForCryingOutLoud

Your medical records are confidential unless you consent to them being released & you can determine which info they can access.I would be surprised if they asked to view them at such an early stage. Your GP notes will suffice at this stage however if it becomes very prolonged (which I hope not) then as the comments above it is 2 way depending on adjustments absence.  I would never encourage the sharing of any confidential records, but that's just my opinion.

dfl

I didnt know over 4 weeks meant no a.r. is there a link to the policy on this, great to know tho, also no wellness meeting has been held at all, i actually went in of my own accord couple of weeks ago to update manager purely as a courtesy.

Brilliant advice and info
DFL

forrestgimp

yea your managers will never see any of your medical records they will only ever see the report made by occupational  health.

dfl

Does anyone know what the policy actually says when you've been off more than 4 weeks, as above reply says no a.r. when you've been off that long, what is the process and how does it differ ?

Thanks
DFL

Redshoes

Quote from: dfl on 05-10-21, 09:07AM
Does anyone know what the policy actually says when you've been off more than 4 weeks, as above reply says no a.r. when you've been off that long, what is the process and how does it differ ?

Thanks

At four weeks you drift into the long term absence policy, if no date or indication of when you are coming back. If you have a clear date of when you are coming back it can still go to an AR.
Long term absence starts with a wellness meeting, if no date coming back it next goes to first formal meeting. After that it goes to subsequent meeting, there can be more than one of these, after that it goes to final formal, and again there can be more than one of these.
Until it gets to the final formal it stays with your manager. At the final formal level it goes higher.

These meeting are gentler and supportive. Nobody wants anyone coming back to work who is unfit to do so. Adjustment passports and occupational health should be offered. The whole process of OH is much better. It's faster and easier to do and the recommendations are more realistic for the colleague and the company. If passports and oh are refused they can't be enforced but any workplace adjustments that need to be made may not land as they should as the company does not have the info they need and at best can only go by a few words on a fit note against a 3-4 page document.
You don't have to do an oh referral and you can even opt to do one but to then not give consent for the recommendations to be seen in store. It is the most private of info and should be treated as such. I have known some colleagues who want everyone to know what's in the report, have asked for all managers to read. I have also known the other side of things where the recommendations have stayed private. On the whole most people opt for store manager and own manager to be allowed to read report but to stay private at that level.

In the very long term the wording on the letters changes, it becomes stronger and you will be told you may be at risk of losing your job. I stress, this is in the very long term. If after months of being off and after the oh report etc and there is no way a route can be found to support you back into work it comes down to, are you going to be able to come back. It eventually reaches a stage where it's not the right thing to do to continue these meetings with no return to work in sight but all avenues should be exhausted first. This will not happen at the four week stage, probably not at the four month stage. The reality will hit home at some stage though, but it's on both sides. A company our size has many different roles and they need to do all they can. You also have to be realistic too, for example you limit yourself severely if you state you can't have any interaction with customers as you have difficulty coping with the social interaction and crowded environments.

dfl

I've been about 5/6 weeks off, but im now returning on amended duties (line stating so), have referral from gp to hospital surgeons but no appointment yet, is the A R. Likely to be just as harsh as they usually are with a few days absence ?
DFL

Redshoes

It's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. There are a lot of variables, starting with the reason for your absence. Then it will depend on your type of manager. What the adjustments are and how long they are needed and a whole host of other things.

horatiocain

Sorry for the delay.

Any absence exceeding 4 weeks is classed as long-term,page 20 of the policy.
The long term process is designed for a different function to the short term process.
Note at this point that the short term process contains the AR system.

Once it's known you will be off for 4 weeks  or after 4 weeks of absence a wellness meeting takes place, this asks if you agree to be referred to OH and sets your absence into the long term process.
If they argue that because this didn't take place its still short term file a grievance fro breach of policy.
Once into the long term process the short term process has no applicable impact  including AR meetings which are a management for short term absences.

Remember that you can be dismissed through the long term policy without receiving a first second or final warning.

From a legal perspective AR meeting resolve short term attendance matters which can result is absence warnings.
Long term manages long term issues that result in dismissal for capability through health.

If the manager calls an AR after you're off for 4+ weeks tell them to read the policy and the managers guide to the policy

dfl

thank you horatiocain that helps enormously, had by the way, no mention was made of A.R. have been offered a few options till further scan/and or possible op takes place. I'm being as flexible as possible taking up these option to help.

what circumstances would sometimes result in dismissal tho as that's a worry obviously, and if an ops required this is at the mercy of nhs timescales due to covid i've no doubt.
DFL

horatiocain

Firstly don't let them rush the long term process, the policy is 4-8 weeks between meetings and if you being tested or investigated they should be going for the longer break between meetings.
The long term process is meant to take a long time  ideally 8-12 months.

OH are needed to be used in long term absence management.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk