News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 12:46AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 311
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 298
Total: 299

Management restructure

Started by beentheredoneit, 03-03-21, 11:16PM

Previous topic - Next topic

variablesoup

Is team support "management"

madness

Quote from: Batmanjo on 10-11-21, 01:19PM
Quote from: madness on 08-11-21, 09:26PM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 08-11-21, 08:00PM
Quote from: forrestgimp on 08-11-21, 12:06PM
As far as I can see there is no management restructure, what there is is managers being left to do as they have always done until such time as enough leave for Tesco to say its done.

we had 2 senior team in out store one of which was surplus to requirements for over a year the other one just left so the they just slot into the job vacated, same as the part time bakery manager we dont need they are just being left in place getting paid for not a lot.

Bit of a joke really paying people to not do their jobs.

Tesco is a bloated inefficient bureaucracy, recent news articles show they are the 3rd most expensive supermarket (After Waitrose and M&S), mateyboy managers doing sod all is commonplace at Tesco, they have an excess of fat at the top they need to cut otherwise the lean, mean well structured German discounter machines will take them out of the competition eventually.

You make out that it the managers in store that are the problem. From what I've seen 60- ;D ;D70% of the GAs wouldnt last 5 minutes in Lidl or Aldi.

Quite right to make that assumption about the management when you say GA's wouldn't last 5 minutes how long do you think these feckless management would last then ??  ;D ;D ;D it's a well known fact that the management don't have to use deodorant as there has never broken into a sweat  ;D ;D Aldi and Lidl staff don't work that hard you know.

I came from Aldi to Tesco so have exactly the experience to comment. Frankly Tesco is a cakewalk compared to Aldi (now or how Aldi used to be)    Reason for leaving Aldi was basically going from a 48 hr contract to 36. Yes big drop in wages but more work life balance. We used to try and avoid taking on people from the big 4 in Aldi as they were usually pretty poor. ex-mc donalds or co-op staff statistically were the best.

Rosst

[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]

Ironically I've just came from co-op to Tesco and can assure people Tesco pay more for less work.
I'm a shift manager /team leader if you want to call it that.

In my Tesco interview he was shocked at the coop we work 1 on 1 and have the delivery done that night. I'm not claiming Tesco much better than co-op, but I'd rather get paid more for the same things I do at co-op 👍

Cwtch

I would love to see the shops thar the so called management do nothing. In my store they do work as there is a lack of staff. I agree that there are the odd 1 that find it easy to walk around and look busy but the majority in my store do work hard and seen to be having a rough time.

kaled78

im not naming my store,but we have 3 that just sit in the office all day,only coming out for breaks,and they all have hit on their reviews,the rest of us management that put in the hard graft all got a miss,this company is beyond belief at the moment,with some people in cushy jobs doing sweet fa,and others struggling to complete basic tasks

jester21

Kaled78 I know what you mean, to be honest I have it very easy as I hardly see my boss but I don't take the p**s so I do help other departments and do it on my own back, I see managers sitting on side of a check out doing so called paper work for hrs or just getting up to answer their mobile phones to their mates and go on one on the nearest aisles to chat on their phone, I again do have some hard working managers who will get stuck in and do far more work then some of the lazy sods we have filling, It's like baby sitting for some of our managers and I don't know who takes the staff on I'm sure they just toss a piece of paper up in the air and take the first person it lands on!

BUY TESLA STOCK

Kaled give initials.   >:D

Jester you're spot on they seem to attract the most useless staff

Really feel sorry for the people who have spent decades in the business. Christmas was always fun with the agency workers that'd slow you down.

Get yourself to F out the place.  :thumbup:

VladPutin

Quote from: Cwtch on 23-11-21, 02:52PM
I would love to see the shops thar the so called management do nothing. In my store they do work as there is a lack of staff. I agree that there are the odd 1 that find it easy to walk around and look busy but the majority in my store do work hard and seen to be having a rough time.

Christ, it must be bad in your store if even managers are having to put in a real day's work! :D ;D

rogerthedodger

The reality is it's never been harder or worse to work for Tesco , Seriously rate them or not who makes people parents redundant in the middle of a national health crisis? Who makes sweeping changes to store senior structures during massive profit increases? Who reduces Dotcom Shift leader headcount during unbelievable growth? You couldn't make this company up. Management structure will continue to be dissolved, they ain't all great but be careful what you wish for people.

Bobkay1

My new role is grocery bws warehouse frozen dairy meat bakery produce and hot deli manager, three years ago this was split between 5 managers. The job is monstrous......

RocketRonnie100

@Bobkay1 what the hell! Is that a superstore or an Extra?

NightAndDay

Quote from: Bobkay1 on 28-11-21, 06:59PM
My new role is grocery bws warehouse frozen dairy meat bakery produce and hot deli manager, three years ago this was split between 5 managers. The job is monstrous......

Definitely doesn't fit any of the Tesco role packs. Sounds like a lead manager or SM is trying to pull a fast one getting you "managed out the business." I'd definitely be interested in seeing the capability study behind this.

Bobkay1

Quote from: RocketRonnie100 on 28-11-21, 08:16PM
@Bobkay1 what the hell! Is that a superstore or an Extra?

I'm in a superstore. Feel like il being pulled in a thousand directions 

biggerpicture

Bobkay1 Do you have a Fresh Manager? That role doesn't look right

Bobkay1

lucgeo

No..no...no...no!

That is not right, there should be a fresh manager covering dairy, meat, deli, bakery and produce...the clue's in the title...FRESH!

You're being played my friend! Ask to see the role pack, email the area PP for a copy to be sent to you. Do you have a senior ambient and fresh manager?

In my old store, when they extended the role for non food manager, to cover warehouse, ambient grocery, homeware, health & beauty and frozen, the poor bloke ended up in bits, literally broke down crying one day under the strain...and he was a tough cookie!
The SM and senior team were ecstatic as they'd broken another manager...this is what a bit of power does to the schoolyard mentality of these bullies!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Bobkay1

No senior management in my store apart from sm.

RocketRonnie100

@Bobkay1 please please be careful, especially at this time of the year you'll run yourself truly into the ground, you'll end up going crazy. How on earth does the SM expect you to even be able to do that? What happens on your days off?

RocketRonnie100

Quote from: lucgeo on 29-11-21, 09:11AM

In my old store, when they extended the role for non food manager, to cover warehouse, ambient grocery, homeware, health & beauty and frozen, the poor bloke ended up in bits, literally broke down crying one day under the strain...and he was a tough cookie!
The SM and senior team were ecstatic as they'd broken another manager...this is what a bit of power does to the schoolyard mentality of these bullies!

I'm just in total shock of what these SMs are expecting the team managers to cover, what do they seriously expect gonna happen when they're put under so much pressure. You bet your bottom dollar the SM is off home at half four after rolling in at ten am!

lucgeo

With the exception of about 4 in all my years in Tesco...every SM was a corrupt sleaze ball bully!

It's getting to silly season, when all full time managers are " expected " to work 12 hour shifts!!

I recall one section manager, who had notably looked below par for several days, I asked if ok? Said they were tired and had a headache!
That evening after 10 hours into the "expected" 12 stint, was refused by the senior team and SM to their request to go home early as feeling unwell...told they were off the following two days, and could rest then!!
Two days later...in hospital having suffered a life threatening medical episode, from which they would never recover enough to return to any kind of work!!

SM and senior team, first off the block to visit in hospital...luckily for them, the manager was too damn loyal and brainwashed to see through their motives to save their own arses!!  >:(  >:(

RocketRonnie100

The 12 hour shifts kick in soon, there's no thought for anyones plans or friends and family. It's just pure Tesco for more or less 3 weeks nonstop. It's made me HATE Christmas with a passion.

Plus with all of the changes that have happened in store to the structure it's making it worse.

If you even dare to say I'm off now at 22.30 before getting in at 6am the next day you're looked at like dirt.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Bobkay1 on 29-11-21, 09:45AM
No senior management in my store apart from sm.

That would by default make you operating at lead manager capacity, at the very least you should be receiving 90% of the salary a lead manager earns. Definitely challenge this.

Bobkay1

@RocketRonnie100 think I've gone crazy already. Not sure I know what day of the week it is anymore

lucgeo

Right well you need to get your arse in gear mate!! No point playing the martyr, nobody gives a Shiite...it has to come  from you...the other managers won't back you up, as the more you do, the less they do! 

If you're in the union, get your SATA rep onboard, but deffo email thE PP for the job role pack...if you think you're being put on now...give it a couple weeks...you'll be lucky to have Christmas day off, without being the key holder on call!!

And Christmas Eve, you WILL NOT be invited to the annual slap on the back, with the SM's chosen few...drinking Prosecco toast, having reached sales targets...nice bit of bonus for the SM!!  >:(  >:(

madness

Quote from: RocketRonnie100 on 29-11-21, 12:50PM
The 12 hour shifts kick in soon, there's no thought for anyones plans or friends and family. It's just pure Tesco for more or less 3 weeks nonstop. It's made me HATE Christmas with a passion.

Plus with all of the changes that have happened in store to the structure it's making it worse.

If you even dare to say I'm off now at 22.30 before getting in at 6am the next day you're looked at like dirt.

Which weak as spineless managers do 12 hr days?   I think I have done 1 maybe 2 in 7 years at Tesco and that was becasue shtf big style in the store. However the very next oportunity i took a half day. I don't understand the mentality of these crazy days someone goes sick on your department or a busy big issue you have a backup plan of someone who is willing to come in to cover it . IE MANAGE the situation.   I've put through 30 mins requests on my addition pay screen and SM has always confirmed it.

There really seems to be 2 types of store and management in this company.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk