News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:06PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 313
Total: 318

Lifestyle Breakl

Started by Penny, 24-09-11, 03:17PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucgeo

I'm rather concerned that you have had no support or income for 12 months :(

Are you a union member? Has your store been in contact regarding your return?
You should make an appointment with your GP to update your condition, and your ongoing concerns on your health and well-being.

The main thing is you need support, there is help out there, you just have to take the initial first step of contact.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Moldirox

I'm more concerned what will happen to my job if I can't return and go off sick again when my lifestyle break ends. It's causing me so much stress thinking about going back

lucgeo

I'm at a loss as to how to advise further  ???

You're obviously getting overawed and stressed with your return to work...as to whether you will be able to cope, or risk getting dismissed?

Your dismissal would be termed on medical grounds...I can't emphasise enough...get professional help and support before your return date!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Moldirox

What I would like to know is if I ring in sick the day before I'm due to return, will I be sacked?

BUY TESLA STOCK

Get a doctors line saying you are unfit to return. Go in for ten minutes work. Then slip it out your pocket and say you wanted to be back but the Doctor is right and you will not be continuing working this shift and they will hear from your Doctor.  >:D Our SM had a tactic he would call you in for a meeting and if you couldnt give a return date he'd sack you. You need to play them game. Give them any date go in for 2 minuates then leave they will not know what to do. Best not to go into meeting alone our SM use to pretend GAs were getting aggressive or offending him to dismiss them if he couldn't get rid of them genuinely.

Redshoes

There is not a black and white answer to this. A lifestyle break of between 4 and 52 weeks can be offered to give someone time out to deal with a personal issue outside of work. The best example that springs to mind is to care for a family member during a serious health period. This is not the only reason though. This saves you from going through the long term absence process at the same time as dealing with a difficult personal issue.
At the end of this process it's going to be difficult to return to work. It's a long time to be out of the business and anyone would feel stress and anxiety at coming back. Knowing what you are coming back to might help though. The best thing to do is to contact work and ask if you can talk this through with someone, your manager may be the best person. You could ask for a phased return to work, so you come back on lower hours and build up over a few weeks. I think you need to talk to work before deciding you are not fit to return. If you have a plan to come back to it does make it easier. The thought of coming back is often worse that actually coming back.

Welshie

If your statutory sick pay had run out, you should have been able to apply for ESA  and should not have been left with no income . Contact your manager before your lifestyle break ends to discuss a phased return, and request occupational health referral.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: Redshoes on 13-03-22, 11:09AM
There is not a black and white answer to this. A lifestyle break of between 4 and 52 weeks can be offered to give someone time out to deal with a personal issue outside of work. The best example that springs to mind is to care for a family member during a serious health period. This is not the only reason though. This saves you from going through the long term absence process at the same time as dealing with a difficult personal issue.
At the end of this process it's going to be difficult to return to work. It's a long time to be out of the business and anyone would feel stress and anxiety at coming back. Knowing what you are coming back to might help though. The best thing to do is to contact work and ask if you can talk this through with someone, your manager may be the best person. You could ask for a phased return to work, so you come back on lower hours and build up over a few weeks. I think you need to talk to work before deciding you are not fit to return. If you have a plan to come back to it does make it easier. The thought of coming back is often worse that actually coming back.
Just do the bare minimum and go home. :)

shinysonic

Not sure if I'm in the right place to ask this, I'm struggling to work out how to post.... I was wondering if you're on a lifestyle break and made redundant does it affect how much you would get? Or would it be worked out on what you usually earn?
Thanks 😊

Sherwoodforest

If you read the policy on lifestyle, it says if there's a restructure while your away, you should be fully consulted, in the case of redundancy you should have meetings, as for the pay I'd have thought that would be part of redundancy consultation meetings.
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

shinysonic

Ok, thanks..... I just wondered if anyone had been in the same position & if they still got a decent package.

mdbwarrior

I am on sick and instead of being sacked I have asked if I could go on lifestyle to try recover but been denied I think to manage me out of the business was anyone able to go on lifestyle instead if being sacked

rogerthedodger

Sick supersedes. If it's work related should be occ health, if it's not it's a little dangerous to be giving someone a lifestyle break if something were to happen looks like the company moving a problem

2ndtimeround

Why do you think you are going to be sacked ?
The long term absence process if followed correctly is about helping you to return to work and exploring any changes that could be made to help.
There are far too many variables to answer your concerns properly here, I would suggest speaking to USDAW, even if you are not already a member you can join and have the support you need.

mdbwarrior

I am waiting for physiotherapy but the letter from my 1st meeting states that if it looks like I'm unable to return to work they will be looking to terminate employment. hence I asked if lifestyle could be a viable backup to which I got no.  I am considering going aboard for treatment as it maybe cheaper but need the assurance that I can do this without a time limit.  I've been told Tesco only support 12 month sickness I'm 9 months in and unlikely I'll be back and ready by the deadline.

Sherwoodforest

Without knowing ins and outs of it, it's hard to give advice, and obviously its just your side were hearing, have you been offered reduced hours? different role to help you? with the time frame I'd have thought occupational health would be involved, have they had a say? surely if you return for even half a shift it, l breaks your 9 months up.
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

mdbwarrior

They are wanting me back but my role requires me not to be drowsy and with the painkiller I'm on that's not possible at present. I'm certain members have been able tp go on lifestyle breaks while on sick to help the situation but I feel I am being denied that.

Redshoes

You should not know this private information. As such you may not know full story. You can't trust what you have been told either.

Oscar Manchester

Can't find correct  page .like to know if you can start a life style  break while under a investigation .and when you return is that investigation still alive.thks

trivi

You likely wouldn't be able to take one

penguin

Depends on the circumstances, if the break was already approved before any investigation began it can be taken but the investigation will resume upon your return, if you apply for one while under investigation it will be refused.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

madness

Quote from: Moldirox on 12-03-22, 10:07PMWhat I would like to know is if I ring in sick the day before I'm due to return, will I be sacked?

Long term absence policy would start. But this is the start to returning to work or dismissal due to unable to work.
Next bit is going to sound harsh.
If all avenues have been explored you cannot expect an employer to keep you on indefinitly there has to be a point a decesion is made and you are dismissed.

londoner83

However depending on your individual circumstances it may be possible for you to take ill health retirement.

In any case you should be asking Tesco to refer you to Occupational Health and seeking their advice on what adjustments can be made to your job to enable you to return to work. Whilst not legally binding Tesco are largely expected to implement their findings.

Redshoes

Quote from: londoner83 on 12-03-23, 05:38AMHowever depending on your individual circumstances it may be possible for you to take ill health retirement.

In any case you should be asking Tesco to refer you to Occupational Health and seeking their advice on what adjustments can be made to your job to enable you to return to work. Whilst not legally binding Tesco are largely expected to implement their findings.

This is a very difficult process. All avenues have had to be exhausted and in a company the size of ours it's expected that we should be able to find a solution. I have seen it denied.

Oscar Manchester

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk