News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:14PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,119
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Holiday

Started by Bluemoon, 13-01-20, 05:34PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluemoon

I had my holiday meeting last year where my manager told me how many days I had to book. All were signed off. I have now been told he has given me  too many days. I've booked to go away and I now have to take it unpaid.  Is this my fault for not checking how many days I was entitled too, I just assumed my manager would get it right.

Justme23

Just check your wage slip and that will tell you how many days you have left.

Bluemoon

Your wage slip will only show your entitlement and how many days you've taken, not what you have booked. Your January payslip will only show holidays taken up to and including Thursday 02 January.

Have you changed your shift pattern in the last year? e.g. dropped from 5 days to 3 days, etc as this will lower your entitlement. Have you taken holidays that were not requested when you had your holiday meeting?

madness

Your days could change if you have increased or decreased your contracted days throughout the year.  unless you take it from the hram system then paysheet sometimes hasnt taken eerything into account. If you are that worried bout being short then pick up a days overtime? I suspect the answer you are looking for is you will get the extra day paid anyway because of the mistake but that's not how it works.

Tip for you work more in the run up to your booked holidays and you will get a bit extra pay in your hols pay compared to a normal contracted month.

forrestgimp

i dont understand. can you not shorten another holiday to accommodate your holiday away?

Redshoes

Could it be that Christmas and new year bank holidays have not been accounted for. The wages system will not allow more holidays to be put into it that allowed. However, the bank holiday part of the system will. If days have not been saved for Christmas and new year this will leave you short.

lucgeo

This was a common problem in my store. B/h entitlement and holidays were often entered incorrectly on the system. Check payslip for days left for both. It always amazed me how often people were told they had to take as unpaid and further down the line told they had b/b entitlement to use or lose. it was never automatically cross checked the moment a discrepancy occurred, not even by the wage clerk!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Mr ford

Its totally your responsibility to know how many holidays you are entitled to. Yes the manager is at fault but you will just need to cancel other holidays or take it unpaid.

londoner83

Believe this issue could be resolved if Tesco scrapped the separate headings of holiday/bank holiday and Personal Day and just went with one Holiday to use to cover all 3.

Rad

If its this holiday year, the least they can do is offer for you to use some of next years entitlement.

Redshoes

Quote from: londoner83 on 14-01-20, 05:41PM
Believe this issue could be resolved if Tesco scrapped the separate headings of holiday/bank holiday and Personal Day and just went with one Holiday to use to cover all 3.

Totally agree, we were told a few years ago it was about to happen but never has. The system needs an update.
If you change your working days a catch up is needed to adjust holidays. If you used to work a Tuesday it will stay in system ax Tuesday until manually updated by wages clerk.  Our wages clerk was putting in shift so if you worked 0900-1800 for example this is what was put in system. If you changed your hours to 1000-1900 this messed things up. They now put in full day in my store.
Our manager gives up a print out of holidays 3 or 4 times a year. We are asked to double check. The problem is that as we fill out a holiday form, this is then put in dept diary and to wages. It firstly has to put in diary and system correctly. If holidays are changed and rebooked. This all has to be done again. If we change days this has to be done again. We employ people to do these jobs. We can endeavour to get it right but as people we make errors. We do hold some responsibility for our own holidays. We should not come to work if we are supposed to be on holiday, it happens. We need to check that we use forms and we don't verbally request or hand in dates on scraps of paper. Forms are kept and should be referred back to. We need to check holidays are put on rota/flexi sheets correctly. We then need to come up with a reasonable fix if things do go wrong. The more times you touch these things the bigger the chance us that it goes wrong. At one time we were only allowed to change our holidays if signed off by senior team but this was a store thing.
One last thing. You have a set amount of paid holidays. The company can't issue you more. A fix could be Many things and can come down to relationship between colleague and manager. With a good relationship it's a chat and resolution.

Alnolda

Can anyone please help me? I recently applied for a bolt-on shift (a extra day contract) and I was told I got the extra day so I am contracted the Wed, Thurs & Fri now instead of just Thurs & Fri, I am due a weeks holidays next week and my boss is trying to tell me I have to come in on Wednesday which is the additional shift I got given.

Is this right enough? Why can't I just have the 3 days off? I have arranged to go away for a few days next week as well, now I'm going to have to cancel my plans.

lucgeo

No, it should be honoured, as it is booked. The manager is being unreasonable, should have queried any booked time off to arrange cover for the extra day. It can be taken as unpaid or work the time back, or used if you still have available holidays to take, as your new allowance for the extra day won't be incorporated in your paid holiday pro rata.

Pathfinder

Ref .bank holidays ....has the policy changed regarding working bank holidays...relating to christmas day ,boxing day and NYD ... my store managers says this has now changed no evidence...and says he can make staff work if not enough volunteers . I am aware 2009 any new staff member can be asked to work 5 of the bank holidays but not 25,26 th and 1st jan . ....has this changed and I'd so where is new agreement.

Pathfinder

No it hasn't changed. It's on your contract that no-one can be made to work Xmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day.

Managers can only make you work if there aren't enough volunteers for the other 5 bank holidays. Ask your manager to show you the paperwork with the policy change.

Copied from the February 2020 Holiday Policy.

10. Do I have a choice about working on a bank holiday?
This depends on the area of the business you work in:

Stores and Customer Fulfilment Centres
If you joined Tesco before 26th January 2009, working on a bank holiday is voluntary unless your contract specifically
requires you to do so.
If you joined on or after 26th January 2009 and there are insufficient volunteers to work on a bank holiday, you may
be required to work on up to five bank holidays (excluding Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day) if you
are normally scheduled to work on the day the bank holiday falls.

Distribution
Your rota will specify the bank holidays that you need to work, and these are treated as normal working days. If you
wish to book a bank holiday off, you can do so in the same way as for any other holiday.

Office and Customer Engagement Centres
If your office or department is closed on the bank holiday, then you are not required to work and will book a day from
your bank holiday allowance. If your office or department is open then working on the day will be voluntary, unless your contract states otherwise. If you choose to work on the bank holiday but the business does not require you to work, you will not receive any premium for doing so.

Pathfinder

Hi yes I am fully aware of the policy ...yet my store manager has said its changed ...(has has yet to show new policy )
But you know the staff are last to find out if the policy has changed ....I knew I'd get more knowledge from this site than store manager .thanks guys. 

The parts of the policy I posted are from this months updated  Holiday Policy. So I think your manager is either ignorant of the policy or lying. If you log onto Colleague Help, you'll find it there. 

forrestgimp

Quote from: Pathfinder on 22-02-20, 01:26PM
Hi yes I am fully aware of the policy ...yet my store manager has said its changed ...(has has yet to show new policy )
But you know the staff are last to find out if the policy has changed ....I knew I'd get more knowledge from this site than store manager .thanks guys.

Ask him to show you in print where its changed, he wont be able to.

lucgeo

Same scenario when the SM & PM had each pre July 2005 in the office for a little chat about not being till trained. A couple meekly agreed to their persuasion, others said no, to which the SM insisted a new policy was to be introduced that everyone be till trained. He was told to get back to them when the policy was in force.

I'm amazed the SM is discussing Christmas working so early, obviously intent on an acceptance by the time it comes round? Him knowingly making these false statements should be grievanced on T&C 's, which then goes out of his hands to the area PM.

penguin

SM in a lot of stores got the riot act read to them a few weeks ago due to how short staffed a lot of shops got left over Boxing Day and  new year, so are now running around like headless chickens trying to sort 2020 Christmas out. Still that is no excuse to force or bully staff into working when they are contractually allowed to take days off.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

lackofinterest

if everybody refused to work boxing day and new years day (which they can) then the greedy bar stewards wouldn't be able to open!!! >:D

lucgeo

I think this may be the new black come Christmas...trade was seriously down, the footfall wasn't there. A lot of public opinion was against stores opening Boxing Day and New Year's Day just gone, a shifting trend towards keeping it special for family time, certain firms were proudly advertising the fact that they would be closed to enable their staff a decent break, and their sales would be the traditional January sales commencing January 2nd.

The emphasis is now on mental health and wellbeing, the trend appears to be moving into the old traditional festivities. Christmas markets, fresh produce, not large pre packed, from God knows where meat, fruit and veg, and a shed load of nostalgia thrown in for good measure.

forrestgimp

Dont bank on it, profits before people.

lucgeo

Probably, though the profit margins were tight last time, with shelves crammed full of 90% fresh reductions.

Jumping on the new trend bandwagon, could be good publicity if they put the right spin on it

T...the
E...ever
S...so
C...caring
O...organisation

8-) or something similar...best I could come up with straight off the cuff  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk