News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 06:51PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,117
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 285
Total: 288

Jack's

Started by londoner83, 13-09-18, 10:09PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penguin

Remember seeing something online the other day about Tesco looking to open more Jack stores over the coming months with the thinking being a lot of people will switch to cheaper food stores given the economic situation, even more so after October when the furlough scheme comes to an end, and many will sadly be on reduced hours or laid off.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

grim up north

Quote from: Nomad on 02-06-20, 02:18PM
Jack's 'discount Tesco' supermarket could be opening in Hull

QuoteA vacant Mothercare store in  Kingston Retail Park could be turned into Hull's first Jack's if plans are approved.

Plans submitted to Hull City Council  proposed converting the vacant shop, in Unit Four of the retail park, into a budget food and homeware store.

Councillors are set to examine an application to change cladding on the outside of the unit and to alter security fittings at its doors.

Though Jack's was a failure ?

Their stock is increasing in my DC. So either they are doing well, or wherever it used to come from has changed

Nomad

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/12612782/tesco-jacks-londis-budgens-stores/

QuoteBoth convenience store chains, which are owned by food wholesale company Booker, can set their own prices - which means you may end up paying more, or paying less, than you would in Jack's.

The Sun has asked both retailers to provide prices for the new range but they've not done so as of yet.

Londis has around 2,000 shops in the UK, while Budgens has 260 - but it's unclear if all these stores will be getting the Jack's range.

Jack's products won’t be available in other Booker convenience stores though, such as Premier or Family Shopper.

Tesco, Jack's, One Stop, Booker, Londis, Budgen, Premier and Family Shopper all controlled owned by Tesco ?

Do you believe the "run as an independent company" spiel ?  I don't  8-)

How did competition commission allow this situation !
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

alf

One stop, londis, budgen, premier and family shopper are franchise shops, the brands overall are owned by tesco, the physical stores are not.

But i'm not being obtuse, booker and tesco still have considerable influence, so I would imagine the situation was allowed to happen purely because there are no shortage of competing franchise models (co op and nisa for example), alongside the actual independants.

Nomad

A great deal of influence.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

notsofunny

Quote from: alf on 09-09-20, 12:45PM
One stop, londis, budgen, premier and family shopper are franchise shops, the brands overall are owned by tesco, the physical stores are not.

But i'm not being obtuse, booker and tesco still have considerable influence, so I would imagine the situation was allowed to happen purely because there are no shortage of competing franchise models (co op and nisa for example), alongside the actual independants.

One shop is fully owned by Tesco including the property's  , The others Londis , budgen ,,, are owned by those that run it and use the name under which they operate as a buying group ,Just like those that use the Nisa name , But those that are Under the Nisa name are also share holders in Nisa or used to be , Nothing from stopping those that use the name Londis,budgens ,Premier ,,,, from moving to another Whole seller if they could get a better deal , as to the Co ,Op they are all owned by the Co op group and buy direct from suppliers ,

NightAndDay

Quote from: Nomad on 09-09-20, 10:26AM
https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/12612782/tesco-jacks-londis-budgens-stores/

QuoteBoth convenience store chains, which are owned by food wholesale company Booker, can set their own prices - which means you may end up paying more, or paying less, than you would in Jack's.

The Sun has asked both retailers to provide prices for the new range but they've not done so as of yet.

Londis has around 2,000 shops in the UK, while Budgens has 260 - but it's unclear if all these stores will be getting the Jack's range.

Jack's products won’t be available in other Booker convenience stores though, such as Premier or Family Shopper.

Tesco, Jack's, One Stop, Booker, Londis, Budgen, Premier and Family Shopper all controlled owned by Tesco ?

Do you believe the "run as an independent company" spiel ?  I don't  8-)

How did competition commission allow this situation !

Tescos and Bookers combined market share affords them certain... "protections" and kickbacks from the government. There was a news article about the accounting scandal a while back, that if their criminal misconduct were to be judged by EU courts, their fine would have been near enough 10x what they paid.

Tesco and Booker are an important source of tax revenue for the government, it's in the governments self interest to preserve the company, and issue the odd 10 million pound fine here and 100 million pound fine there when they do something a bit naughty or big for their boots.

alf

Quote from: notsofunny on 09-09-20, 09:42PM
Quote from: alf on 09-09-20, 12:45PM

One shop is fully owned by Tesco including the property's  , The others Londis , budgen ,,, are owned by those that run it and use the name under which they operate as a buying group ,Just like those that use the Nisa name , But those that are Under the Nisa name are also share holders in Nisa or used to be , Nothing from stopping those that use the name Londis,budgens ,Premier ,,,, from moving to another Whole seller if they could get a better deal , as to the Co ,Op they are all owned by the Co op group and buy direct from suppliers ,

I know one stop  offers franchising, but I guess there's nothing stopping tesco also owning stores as well, similar to the likes of fast food franchises where some are owned by "corporate".

And apologies I wasn't clear,  I meant co op and nisa, as in Co op owned nisa i.e. Similar to tesco and one stop.

Nomad

Not Jack's but has a tie-in to my Reply #177 in this thread.

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/wholesalers/tesco-affecting-competition-as-it-secures-exclusive-npd-deals-for-booker-say-wholesalers/648419.article

QuoteIndependent wholesalers have pleaded with suppliers not to sideline them as Tesco uses its influence to secure Booker a raft of exclusive NPD listings.

Mondelez and Diageo are two of the suppliers called out by wholesalers as negotiating NPD deals with Tesco that are then being passed on to its wholesale business, Booker, The Grocer can reveal.

The move has been described as “anti-competitive” by one senior wholesale source, as the UK’s largest supermarket chain secures Booker the sought-after deals.

Among the listings are Cadbury’s Orange Giant Buttons, now being exclusively stocked in Tesco supermarkets and Express stores, along with Booker C&Cs and symbol groups, which include Londis, Premier, Budgens and Family Shopper.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

NightAndDay

Hopefully this will lead to the corporations collectively scrutinising the function of the CMA, if there exists a monopoly or distinct lack of competition caused by their decision to greenlight the merger and from that the entities that have a vice grip on the market are too powerful to be contained by existing checks and balances, then hopefully the decision makers fall on their sword.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk