News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-03-24, 08:26AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 37,969
  • Total Topics: 622
  • Online today: 117
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 94
Total: 97

Expectations

Started by dfl, 23-09-20, 01:59PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfl

Getting sick of tesco deliberately allowing customers to request we take shopping into their houses/kitchens. Thjs shouldnt get past website ordering stage. Had loads of requests recently for this and with infection rates going up tesco arent protecting their drivers health.
DFL

NightAndDay

Pretty sure the HSE would have some very choice legal words and phrases to say around this.

blueberet

I think it's unacceptable, have you refused to take any in and/or had any guidance from management? Hopefully lucgeo sees this and can advise if this can be classed as an unreasonable request or not

Nomad

Customers can request, Tesco can request, however the final decision on Health & Safety lies with the cdd.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

lucgeo

With the new Covid rules differing regarding the entering of households, within the four nations, and Tesco having stores in all four, they can't have a standard ruling across the board. It would need to be recognised on area/nation the CDD is based and what that nations ruling is, or if any local lockdowns with stronger restrictions in place.
CCD's should express their real concerns to their manager and store H&S rep regarding this relaxation of social distancing and entering people's homes.

I personally, would refuse to deliver into a customers home. I would inform my manager ( in writing, dated and signed) of my intent not to enter any customers household. I would deem it reckless, unacceptable and an unreasonable request, by needlessly placing mine and my families health at risk of infection.
It is an old core value of Tesco, that no colleague should be asked to do, or perform any task that they feel uncomfortable with. ( or words to that effect )
Any insistence from ANY manager, stating customers requesting shopping be delivered into their homes, should be met...ask that manager for their instruction in writing, dated and signed.
If your in the union, get the rep on board with this. If your not, still speak to the store H&S rep, but also 'phone ACAS for their advice and guidance.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

dfl

I havent been forced to go into these places, its just not fair that customers are able to request it (its usually on the itinerary delivery paperwork), and in my place i know for a fact some drivers are taking it in risking other staff and indeed other customers. The fact that its on the paperwork as a customer request puts pressure on the cdd because the customer makes the order presuming its acceptable, the cdd gets sent to the address, and when there confrontation is all to common if you refuse.
DFL

lucgeo

This is something your H&S AND Union rep should be questioning with the SM and asking for clarification on the company stance regarding this. Customers should not be offered this option. It shows ignorance from all, in being offered and chosen...I certainly wouldn't want a delivery driver entering my home and kitchen...indeed no other postal delivery services have relaxed their procedures. The post office have to provide all their Posties with masks, as part of their role is to enter businesses to deliver, where it is now mandatory to wear a mask.
Any confrontation from customers...advise them to contact Head Office with their complaint, then excuse yourself, explaining you feel unwell and are experiencing excessive sweating...you'll find that door shut pretty dam quick  :o

chunkymufc

The only time I will enter a customers home is if they are elderly / disabled and ask me to do so. I will ask them to go into another room and take their shopping through for them.

If the shopping isn't in the sacks, I will unload the trays for the customer.

Disposable gloves will be worn for that delivery only and my hands will be sanitised correctly after wards as well.

The same goes for if a customer does not want to pack their shopping on the step if it's raining or blowing a gale, they will carry the tray through to the kitchen themselves and return it too me. As long as I am careful and wash my hands the correct way, then what else can we do.

I have voiced my concerns to management on our health  / safety being compromised as the timing of going bag less, could not come at the wrong time when the Covid rate is rising fast.

It's a tricky one, but like every other daily situations we face, we just need to be careful and keep washing our hands etc.

it's slightly not much different for when we go shopping ourselves, you could pick an item up off the shelf and for all you know a minute earlier some may of already coughed and sneezed all over it.

Not sure if I am doing the right thing or not regarding what I have said above, but nobody is directing me or giving me any advice on what to do, so I am simply risk assessing each property when I deliver and taking it from there. Like many I have loved ones to protect and myself, so not acting like Covid is a myth.

One driving was complaining last night about customer handing trays, yet 5 mins earlier he had no problem breaking the social distance advice when off he was helping 4 other unload a drivers van.

rogerthedodger

It’s at the point where it really isn’t safe for drivers possibly 30-40 pickers touch the shopping put it bagless and the driver has to handle this and potentially unload everything. Plus spend longer with customers then ever before! Or stand in the rain while customer in packs! Then clean the trays in the rain outside  8-)
Make no mistake the recent clean your own tray drivel has been set out to cover the company! Not help or cover the driver it’s humanly impossible for any driver to clean the ammout of trays they need with the size of the runs. More sickness more danger more unhappy drivers! Extremely short sighted and harsh in my opinion

boris82

Anybody have any idea what is going on now with click and collect instoreit was 2 hours and we lost early load now its back with a 8-9 but there's a hour serving and a hour unavailable anyone know anything because no one knows whats happening in my store and it starts monday

lucgeo

Tesco have a duty of care to their employees, by instructing them to place themselves at risk, is failing in that duty of care. END OF!!

Let's get some perspective here....Tesco is just a big corner shop, run by people neither medically trained nor professionals in the medical field. If you worked in the local little corner shop, run by a local person, would you obey their instructions to take shopping into people's houses, putting yourself at risk ??? No, you'd more than likely, in no uncertain terms, tell them where they could put that order or do it themselves.  :-X

Welshie

I did put on another thread that when I placed my Dotcom order this week ,just before I put payment in , it now gives the bag less option again and tells you that the driver will now take shopping into your house as long as you are not self isolating. 

lucgeo

Again....there are four nations that have differing Covid restrictions, and Tesco covers all four nations. I believe one of these four, have stopped people entering others households, restricted inside access for small set amount of family members, is being insisted by all nations. 

Breaking any of these rules carries heavy fines, increasing in amount for persistent rule breakers. So who pays the fine ??? Tesco or the driver  ??? A driver doing 10 drops per day is racking up a huge fine...who's name goes into the police records  ???

dotnochance

Who do you think lol, driver will get thrown to the wolves

driver67

Hi all, new member here.

Have been reading this site over the last few years (since I joined Tesco), but never felt the need to join in on any subject, but have picked up some good advice and info from the comments here.

But this new bagless system feels like the final straw for me personally.

The country has just been told to minimise contact and keep distance, yet we are being told to take deleveries in.  I refuse to, unless it is elderly/disabled when I ask them to leave the room and I use mask and gloves to empty items as quickly as possible.  But even doing that, it is entirely possible that I could have the virus early stages and not know, and therefore put such people at increased risk.

But worse, is that now the system is bagless, the baskets are being handled, and taken into virtually every house, increasing contact, not reducing it as the government wants (and is sensible).

It is impossible to clean the trays thoroughly, and hand sanitiser is ok, but in my opinion not good enough to rely on no every tray is being handled.  Don't forget we also deliver to isolated, and in some cases positive cases.

This system is against common sense, and government rules, and obviously health and safety.  My (every other driver too) health and safety !

We must surely be able to officially object to this and get it altered immediately ?

I look forward to comments, and even to tell me I am worrying unnecessarily.

rogerthedodger

No one can argue your point it is totally impossible, but Tesco cover themselves via paperwork as it has a process. Dangerous game

dfl

Quote from: Welshie on 24-09-20, 04:35PM
I did put on another thread that when I placed my Dotcom order this week ,just before I put payment in , it now gives the bag less option again and tells you that the driver will now take shopping into your house as long as you are not self isolating. 

No way i'd ever do this with the current covid situation
DFL

NightAndDay

Quote from: rogerthedodger on 28-09-20, 06:51AM
No one can argue your point it is totally impossible, but Tesco cover themselves via paperwork as it has a process. Dangerous game

Process doesn't override government guidelines and recommendations, a strongly worded letter to your council will prompt them to send around some HSE suited bods who will spank the Tesco managers back in line.

rogerthedodger

It’s not the mangers in shops, it’s the head office who send down the ridiculous rules when nowhere near the action

Daredevil

I personally would be wearing gloves to carry trays to customers,placing at doorstep or back door.No entering property at all regardless what customer or Tesco wants.Green trays can be picked up either later in day by driver who is passing area or next time customer has a delivery.Tesco don't care about their staff anymore!!!

gomezz

No way should anyone be leaving trays with a customer nor even allowing them to touch the trays though the latter is sometimes foiled by the customer picking a tray without or before asking if they can do that.  My view is that the tray liners should continue to be used free for all customers for the foreseeable future.  Going back to bagless is a significant risk factor!  I strongly advise any of you reading this that have deliveries and value the health of yourself and your family then pay the 40p for tray liners.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Munchkin

Hi everyone I got in touch with guv. Co. UK regarding covid rules and breaches in my store and was advised the local environmental health department are the ones to speak to by phone direct is quickest and easiest as you can give all relevant inf and answer any questions straight away very effective so please, if necessary do this and including for the entering people's homes issue. The environmental health are local and can deal direct by just turning up at store if necessary

lucgeo

My area has gone into local lockdown, shopping in local Tesco today, was informed that the local council visited the store yesterday and instructed that the cardboard dividers, used between back to back cashiers, be removed and placed toward the end of the packing area to prevent customers leaning over/around the protective Perspex screen. They have also stated no cashiers be seated back to back, and only alternative checkouts may be operating at any one time.
Apparently they arrived again today, unannounced, to check all rules were being adhered to.

gaz123

I'm gobsmacked that bagless has returned at this point in time. Most customers don't want to pay 40p/tray for the liners, so either we have to wait while they empty the trays at the door (takes ages, in most cases) or just let them take the trays to the kitchen to unload themselves. I know we shouldn't do that - but to be honest that's what I suggest they do, otherwise I'll be standing on the doorstep forever waiting for them to unpack one item at a time.

Anyway, it's immaterial to me - going bagless again, with the associated increase in risk at the present time, was the step too far and I've handed in my notice. It's going to be a fun couple of weeks seeing how low I can get my score on Lightfoot before I leave  :D

gaz123

Well, all I can say is that there must be some absolutely bloody awful drivers working for Tesco! I purposely ragged the arse off every van I drove this last week, just to amuse myself by seeing how low I can get Lightfoot to score me (47% is the best I managed, by the way!) - and the league tables STILL place me in the top-scoring half of the scores for my store, and in the top third of the weekly scores for Tesco nationally! "They drive among us..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk