Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:10PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 290
Total: 292

Having to book bank holidays

Started by dfl, 19-03-24, 10:15PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfl

Just realised the online hours rota has me down to work on the upcoming bank holiday in april, I've never had to book these of before in all my years since 2004, it was always a default for me not to be working them, is it now the case you absolutely have to book them off and can they refuse them
DFL

dfl

Just requested the april 2024, rejected by manager right away, have now requested the remaining bank hols for 2024-2025 awaiting response. Disgusted this seems to have been changed on the fly, my contract clearly states im entitled to the bank holidays
DFL

1982dave

Had this discussion many times my dept manager has stated you cannot book bank holidays off which isn't the case as I booked all last years ones off shift leader authorised them manager tried blocking me which was met with a not a chance it's bull c**p I've asked senior management and even they said it's fine

oldfashionedplayer

its something that comes up often on here that management just try to get you to do... So holiday policy section 8 (easter) section 9 (Bank holidays), is what you want to list to them if they have an issue too bad. lol
Quote9. Do I have a choice about working on a bank holiday?
This depends on the area of the business you work in:

Stores
If you joined Tesco before 26th January 2009, working on a bank holiday is voluntary unless your contract specifically requires you to do so.

If you joined on or after 26th January 2009 and there are insufficient volunteers to work on a bank holiday, you may be required to work on up to five bank holidays (excluding Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day) if you are normally scheduled to work on the day the bank holiday falls. Colleagues in Scotland also do not have to work on 2nd January if they don't want to and colleagues in Northern Ireland may select an additional day where they do not have to work if they don't want to.

If you don't have a fixed working pattern, you will be treated as if you are scheduled to work on the bank holiday. However, it will still be your choice whether to work the day or not, and the hours will be deducted from your holiday allowance if you don't work.
also this if you work Sundays and you want easter sunday off too
QuoteWhat about Easter Sunday?

Easter Sunday is not a bank holiday, although most of our stores and offices will be closed. Colleagues that are contracted to work on the day Easter Sunday falls have the option of booking holiday from their holiday allowance, rearranging their working hours to another day, or working additional hours in advance of Easter Sunday.
Holiday policy - always best to check it constantly, always good to look at the stuff.

dfl

Hi Oldfashionedplayer, is this the latest holiday process that youve quoted, i want to be 100% sure before i go starting a lets talk with my manager as up till now i have had a good working relationship with him.
DFL

londoner83

Yes that is the current policy

oldfashionedplayer

Yes, most recent update is November hasn't been any changes since you can also download the policy from it too.

Either colleague help site or through my-tesco app and 3 dots - Colleague help - browse categories - a - z list of content - policies - holiday policy work and pay

And you'll find it there.

dfl

Thank you, I've said to manager and team leader, theyre now saying contracts signed last year "took away lat legacy right", so I've now asked for copy of my last signed contract (i dont believe it did sign right away but will 100% check)
DFL

oldfashionedplayer

Working here  Working here (UK)  New colleague contract - Stores and CFC hourly paid from 16 October 2022 Guide to the Tesco store/CFC hourly paid colleague contract

from colleague help - nothing in the new contract that said anything about you fully required to work it, like says from holiday policy 2009 onwards if there are insufficient, but then that's hard to prove that there are insufficient people to be honest cause your entitled still to take some bank holidays off so you can question it of why weren't you given the option of not taking it off lol.

dfl

Thanks oldfashionedplayer, and i read from that as i started around 2002 then the "insufficient" wouldnt apply to me as it would only affect from 2009 onwards.
Or does it mean after 2009 that rule affects all staff. (Which may actually conflict with my contract) and would certainly conflict with the holiday policy which clearly states "voluntary"
Many thanks
DFL

lackofinterest

your manager and team leader are clueless and bullshitting you. you can still take all bank holidays. you don't need to book them even though they prefer you to. just tell them you don't work bank holidays so you won't be in. end of. there's nowt they can do about it!!

dfl

Solved, manager has now booked all i out of "courtesy" requested including the day they initially rejected, said to me "your right about 2009 but still have to book and 4 weeks in advance minimum", i disagreed as voluntary by very definition means i dont need to request it off at all.
DFL

oldfashionedplayer

Only those after 2009 it applies for the insufficient,

those before it's just a case of:

Colleague = "I don't want to work it"

Manager = okay, do you want it as holiday, unpaid or want to come in on another day instead?

Colleague = picks from the above.

It is both colleague and manager responsibility though with making sure you take your holiday, but they'll assume your working them, most won't bother to ask so it's wise to just give notice that you don't want to work them, there's a list of bank holidays on the colleague help site too, so more notice helps them and you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk