News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:03PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 298
Total: 300

selling alcohol

Started by Expressdude2016, 28-12-16, 10:02AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah C

If I turn round and say that due to my religious beliefs, I must meditate and not speak to any customer during the holy month of December I can get away with it? :P

Equalizer87

@ Sarah C

Worth a shot I'd say  :thumbup:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

GasMonkey

Quote from: blutopia on 28-12-16, 10:28AM
I'm all for religious tolerance but I am struggling with this one.  It is not as if the member of staff was being asked to consume the alcohol.  Would they refuse to serve a customer who was buying pork or, indeed, any products containing meat that they were unsure was Halal?  Perhaps any Muslim colleagues reading this could explain.

I had a good laugh at the linked article at the bottom of the page though!
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2460637/tesco-santas-grotto-leytonstone-london-depressing/

I have heard of cut backs but that is Embarrassing who ever the store manager is he / she should hang there head in shame  ;D ;D

Nomad

Alcohol sale.  No matter how the story is worded, the only question still remains:

Should retail assistants refuse to sell/serve you a product that their employer sells due to their own beliefs  :question:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

tumshie

It sounds like the job applicant has made clear that they do not want to work with alcohol and Tesco has assured them that they won't have to. Then it's turned out Tesco got it wrong.

tescopleb

To answer nomads question, the answer has to be no. In this case it's only caused embarrassment but there are examples as a high profile case on the Irish Republic proves where it can lead to unnecessary death.

Equalizer87

I agree with tescopleb, you can't have one rule for one lot of staff and another for the rest.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

fargone

So if she wanted to wear a Burqa, that would be okay?

forrestgimp

Quote from: mexicopete on 28-12-16, 07:58PM
@Morris999 Thank you I rest my case for the prosecution Melud. ;) ;) :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I simply told you what the policy was/is as for the rest if thats how it is in your store fair enough but its not been my experience as for the rest, racism is an ugly thing.

Nomad

There is no connection between race and religion, why do some people erroneously connect the the two.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Equalizer87

A good point Nomad, a religion isn't a race, but let's not try to open that can of worms.

Justjohn

Customers need to march with there feet, and take there business else were.

I was shopping in Tesco this morning . I had a trolley full of shopping , and I need a micro sd card. so I went to the  place were they are keep and saw it was empty , so clever me  I went to the Tesco phone shop , it was closed and had a barrier up , but I could see the micro sd card I wanted. at this moment a Tesco employee walk passed . I ask politely if she could get me one , she replied " I'm not authorised to go in there , your have to go to the customer service desk an ask"  I said " pardon are you refusing to serve me, your badge says your a general assistant , your job is to serve the customer " . she replied if you want one your have to go the customer service desk", I replied " no its no my job to go to the customer service desk and ask , its your job to go and ask for me " , so I took her name and said " now go and tell your manager I'm reporting you to head office and while you doing that now you can put all this shopping back, I going else were, were the staff will serve me ".  with that I walk out and shopped in morrisons

Tesco cannot afford to offer a poor customer service if they want to win customer back

alf

Well aren't you just a grade A w##ker.

madness

Quote from: Justjohn on 29-12-16, 06:59PM

I was shopping in Tesco this morning . I had a trolley full of shopping , and I need a micro sd card. so I went to the  place were they are keep and saw it was empty , so clever me  I went to the Tesco phone shop , it was closed and had a barrier up , but I could see the micro sd card I wanted. at this moment a Tesco employee walk passed . I ask politely if she could get me one , she replied " I'm not authorised to go in there , your have to go to the customer service desk an ask"  I said " pardon are you refusing to serve me, your badge says your a general assistant , your job is to serve the customer " . she replied if you want one your have to go the customer service desk", I replied " no its no my job to go to the customer service desk and ask , its your job to go and ask for me " , so I took her name and said " now go and tell your manager I'm reporting you to head office and while you doing that now you can put all this shopping back, I going else were, were the staff will serve me ".  with that I walk out and shopped in morrisons

Tesco cannot afford to offer a poor customer service if they want to win customer back
you sound like a bloody nightmare. as a person and a colleague

blutopia

Justjohn: Did Morrisons staff fetch your size of incontinence pants for you or are you now off to Asda?

mexicopete

Quote from: madness on 29-12-16, 07:50PM

you sound like a bloody nightmare. as a person and a colleague

I was thinking along these lines madness, but refrained from feeding the Troll. :-X :-X :-X
The worlds me lobster

Shafted

If you are a Tesco colleague you should be ashamed of yourself.

SensibleSid

JustJohn, Whilst you're at Morrisons, ask if they can teach you the difference between "There and their" and "were and where".
You culd try for a lesson in manners, but that is, without doubt, asking too much.

melanie

Its ridiculous,just get on and provide a service to the customer and leave your beliefs outside of work. If you are not prepared to serve the customer with the goods  get a job doing something else. #pandering to the staff.End of sermon ;)

wishicouldgo

YOU SIR ARE PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR A PERSON AND IF YOU ARE A COLLEAGUE  AN ABSOLUTE  DISGRACE.  I GUARANTEE IF THIS SITE DID NOT PROVIDE ANONYMITY YOU WOULD NOT BE SO BOLD AS TO POST AS YOU HAVE AS I FOR ONE WOULD FIND YOUR STORE AND GIVE YOU THE SAME KIND OF DISGRACEFUL TREATMENT YOU GAVE TO THAT COLLEAGUE.  >:( >:( >:(

[admin]No need to SHOUT[/admin]

Pezzer

wishicouldgo............There are certain parts of the store that General assistants are not allowed to go, maybe she should have broken the rules just for you and been sacked. I think you should be ashamed of yourself to be honest, best really that you go shop at another supermarket, because Tesco staff do not need your grief.......Sorry to say but think your attitude STINKS......................... >:(

[admin]I believe you are attacking the wrong poster.[/admin]

Pezzer

Yes my bad it was directed at the wrong person, apologies to wishicouldgo  :( Thank you for bringing this to my attention ........

A1bert

Although slightly different to the original posters question. Could anyone tell me if it's still a requirement to fill in the refusal of alcohol sale log book. I've not seen it for months in store and wondered if it had been done away with.

Rad

Not Tesco policy.  Some local authorities make it a condition of the licence.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk