News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:28AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

New Changes - Q&A's

Started by Loki, 10-01-15, 09:31AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penguin

There is no way they can just place everyone on a fleixable contract however much they might wish to do so.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

mexicopete

Certainly hope you are right penguin, but remember Usdaw will be representing us and their recent record is appalling. :'(
The worlds me lobster

panther

We've spoke about this at work too, someone said exactly the same re flexible contracts. I don;t think they can, but who knows? We are just speculating, but according to the Q&A, it should only be a few weeks before we find out for sure.
I have worked with the company for 20+ years, and remember getting apid a premium for working Saturdays, and that was 'bought' off us. As a long serving (and suffering) member of staff who has been a manager and now T/L (I'm working my way DOWN the ladder ;) ) I get double time for Sundays. I very rarely work them, but if I do, normally do it for time back. So if I do a half day Sunday, I get a full day off. If this was stopped, I'd never work another Sunday, and claim for religious reasons, I am unable to be contracted to that day.

gomezz

As a former manager surely you should know the law about not having to work Sundays and know that religious belief nor any other reason need be given?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

penguin

What I think more likely is any new staff would be on felix contract and all current staff might be offered some cash to move onto a felix. One would then have to make a choice if to accept the upfront payment and havw a fleix contract or stick with the current contract.

Mr08

Loki,  I work in one of the 5 dotcom stores 'fulfilment centres' and have been briefed by my managers thatwe are in a 'good' place,  and won't face closure or be effected by the flat pay, because we are not classed as stores. How true is this? And how much do they know?

SAMCRO

I think a lot of people are over looking what Dave Lewis said in regards to "increase in working-hour flexibility", that screams of flexi-contracts.

Seeing as though we can only speculate at the moment -

- All TL's to step down or take redundancy, apart from checkouts.

- All current full-time GA's/TL's offered a cash incentive, then offered flexi-contracts. This happened in my last place of employment. The company went into administration and was bought out, we were then offered flexi-contracts with a small payout, which was 12 months difference in pay to compensate for loss of hours. Don't believe for a second that this isn't possible, I've been through it before.

Flexi-contracts is what a lot of retailers have been phasing in for a good few years now, they are absolutely horrendous and no good for most employees and absolutely perfect for employers from a wage/holiday/sickness/pension point of view.

notsofunny

Quote from: AlexM on 11-01-15, 06:25PM
I thought it was supposed to be the addition of a third team leader to release the SM/DM from running duties (also known as filling shelves/doing routines). Don't know if it's still happening tho.
My wife, an express DM, has always insisted she doesn't need another team leader to manage - she needs more GA's to work delivery/serve on tills so she can actually do manager things instead of dilling/serving! Shows how out of touch senior leadership are. They want to replace expensive managers with cheaper team leaders when all that's really needed is even cheaper CA's! But what would we lowly shop staff know? It's not like we have to drag ourselves through the same c**p every day with no one listening to us....
3rd T/L is not going to happen,, But I do agree with your wife as to the need for more CA's

Loki

Usdaw Statement

11 January 2015

Usdaw, the shopworkers' trade union, has expressed deep concern about Tesco's recovery plan which has left staff worried and unclear about their future. Usdaw is the main union at Tesco, representing over 180,000 staff in the UK business.

National Officers Pauline Foulkes and Joanne McGuinness said: "While the announcement was well received by the Stock Exchange, the same cannot be said for staff. They feel completely let down by both the content and nature of the turnaround proposals and the manner in which they found out.

"It was disappointing to learn that the proposals included the closure of the Cheshunt head office and 43 stores. What is worse is that the company has still not declared which shops they intend to close, leaving staff in all 3,000 plus stores worrying whether it is theirs that will close, creating additional anxiety and uncertainty.

"Announcing the intention to close the defined contribution pension scheme has left staff extremely concerned about their future income in retirement. Introducing a new store management structure leaves thousands of team leaders and line managers upset and distressed about what this will mean for them. This is no way to treat staff, whose hard work and commitment has helped the business over the years and through one of Tesco's most difficult periods.

"Usdaw is calling on the new chief executive Dave Lewis to ensure that the staff are respected and valued throughout this turnaround programme. The company must listen, engage and meaningfully consult staff and Usdaw representatives, acknowledging that they will play a huge part in turning Tesco around.

"Usdaw's priorities are to: obtain the list of stores earmarked for closure; maintain good pension provision for all Tesco staff; provide clarity for team leaders and line managers in relation to the new management structure, and do everything possible to keep staff employed in the business and job losses to a minimum.

"Usdaw is pressing for immediate dialogue with the company to address these matters in full and seeking to improve communication and information channels to staff. We are committed to supporting, representing and protecting our members and reps during this difficult period and we will be seeking the best possible outcome for them."
Notes for editors:
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

fmculater

Strongish words. Too little too late for me. I wonder how many people will genuinely leave USDAW after all this, if not before?

renown

Definitely too little too late.
Would it have been to much to ask of our employers to have all available options to the affected staff within a day or two of the announcement.

Really want to know my choices now,not in a couple of months or whenever they can be @rsed telling us.

carlos

Do we know if the security department will be effected by the change in structure. Ie advance guards, tesco security, And temporary shrink security managers instants in high shrink stores? ??? Will they cut down on security staff? ??

Loki

If there is no ballot at all, then I will have to seriously reconsider not only my role as a rep, but also as a member.

Why?

Well, what would be the point?

Tenko

P Foulkes tried to stand against Hannett and against the partnership before, maybe she is trying again, but me thinks that her voice is going to be lost in this fiasco of a union.
That's it for me now, union membership is ending for me.

Loki

I like to think that I'm pretty much thick skinned, however, having to answer questions at work is getting pretty tiresome. Especially when there is so much uncertainty.

By Dastardly Dave making the announcement the way in which he did demonstrated his nonchalance towards Usdaw.

He more or less implied "I'm making these unilateral changes whether you like it or not. What the f**k are you going to do about it?"

chris9997

looking at the christmas usdaw newsletter there is a part of it that discusses the 2015 pay negotiations and the items in it as some of the item pay increase closing the gap between np1 and np2  realigning overtime rates etc have not been discussed yet however as all these items have a cost increase on the wage bill i would expect a wage neg for this year to be pointless waste of our subs as they will go with what ever tesco says.

Loki

Go with whatever Tesco says? That's what they did last year

By the looks of it, they won't even turn up this year!

crabbit

Neither Pauline foulkes or joanne mcguiness fill me with confidence after having dealt with both of them in the past.
Best defence here is that 300,000 plus employees is a massive consumer group, too late to save final salary pension but stopping introduction of flexi-contracts across the board is a realistic aim >:D
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

AlexM

Me & my wife will be cancelling our union subs if she loses her job. Won't be able to afford to waste the money on a spineless union when we can't even afford to live.

Loki

I wonder if Usdaw realise, or even care, that all eyes are on them to see what little gonads they have left?

no EAN

Only reason I am still a member is because of what is happening now, so I have some sort of support in store. As soon as its finalised, adios usdaw.

Morris999

No ean, that's how me and the rest of the managers feel in my store.
Usdaw only chance of any of us staying in the union is for them to save the pension, but we know how they will deal with that.

oliver

Morris999-as I've  said in a to post on sat a manager chatting & laughing with another manaer & a Ga, nothing to do with work,the usual in our store  while we are running around, staff  in our store think managers are getting what they deserve for being lazy and hiding behind their role.

brucie

It seems to me we may need a ballot on strike action over pension etc to show that we as a union are not happy. How do the rest of you feel. By the way in my 35 years in this and other workforces I have never voted to strike before .

penguin

Viewpoint posters have gone up in our place today - asking us to do viewpoint in a week or two with things like "can you see yourself working for Tesco in a years time" etc there taking the p**s big time

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk