News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 04:03PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 318
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 264
Total: 271

Time off. Paid or not?

Started by Mark calloway, 13-12-19, 01:03PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redshoes

emergency time off is unpaid, you can arrange to pay back time or use holidays but as sich it does not fall within sick leave.

Cinderella

Unpaid would be fine, I just desperately need these repairs done! However, in my store they just say “absence” is counted against a person, not just sick leave. So I’m wondering whether taking emergency leave will fall into that, or whether it is excluded. They say they don’t have a separate domestic absence any longer - “absence is absence” were the exact words I was told. Although when others have situations, I see ‘domestic’ being written on the paperwork often!

Cinderella

Quote from: chris9997 on 04-12-20, 12:50AM
Personally I would not have contacted anyone outside work to sort cover for yourself unless it was to arrange a shift swap, getting cover is down to tesco.

I was just trying to minimise the disruption, as I didn’t know how long the repairs would take.

I’m starting to get really stressed about all this, and it seems no one knows whether emergency leave will be added into absence percentage! I’ve asked a union rep to try to find out for me. If these damages start to impact the neighbours too - well, I’m trying not to even think about it. Tesco seems to be an extremely unsympathetic employer!

Welshie

The problem now is that if you arrange to get the work finished , it's no longer an emergency (something that couldnt be foreseen)and you'll have to pre-arrange your time off which will be difficult in December. 
I once had a leak and had to phone in for emergency leave while I got a plumber etc , I was forced to work time back and not given option of holiday or unpaid .

Cinderella

It’s constantly going back into an emergency as the damages get worse! Last week I was woken in the middle of the night as further damage was caused by it not being fixed, which then caused a secondary emergency, which I once again had to stay up all night taking care of. I have to keep going in to work on no sleep because of this

Surely I can fight for the time off, without it affecting my absence percentage as I was forced in on the day it started, and not given the option of taking emergency leave?

BlueToon

The policy.

""Time Off: Emergency Time Off
We want to support you when you are faced with an unexpected situation by allowing you a reasonable amount of time off work to go and make arrangements to deal with an emergency. Therefore you have the option to phone up on the day (preferably within one hour of the start of your normal shift) and ask for emergency leave: this could be for half a day, full day or just the time you need.

No matter what the emergency, you should phone and talk to your manager (or duty manager). Please don’t text or e-mail as your manager will want to discuss the situation with you, and how much time you think you will need to resolve the situation. If you leave a message, you should make sure that you leave contact details so that your manager can call you back. In exceptional circumstances, where you are unable to make the call yourself, you should arrange for someone to call in on your behalf.
It’s important that you keep in contact with your manager and let them know if the situation changes and if you need more or less time off.
If you don’t contact your manager to notify them that you need to take emergency leave, your absence may be treated as unauthorised.

When can I use this leave?
You can use this leave in emergency circumstances such as:
    Fire, flood, burglary, burst pipe or other domestic
    emergency
    Being unable to return from holiday due to unforeseen
    circumstances
These are just examples and not an exhaustive list. Any emergency leave is granted at the discretion of your manager (or duty manager).

How much leave can I have?
There is no set time limit on how much you can take at any one time because circumstances vary, and sometimes just a couple of hours will be enough to deal with the immediate emergency. You should return to work as soon as you have made arrangements to deal with the situation.
Any time off taken to deal with an emergency will be unpaid, but you can agree with your manager to take the time as holiday or rearrange your working hours so that you do not lose any pay. It may be that you can swap your shift or work flexibility to accommodate the problem.
This leave isn’t something that should be used often and is only for use in emergencies. If it becomes a persistent problem and you’re using emergency leave regularly, then your manager will have a conversation with you about how you’re going to manage any issues in the future. If there is reason to believe that you may have misused emergency leave, this may become a disciplinary issue and an investigation will be carried out to establish the facts.

Can my request for emergency leave be refused?
We want to support our colleagues when they need it, and therefore we will try to accommodate all requests for emergency leave where we can. However, there may be times, due to operational impact where we can’t accommodate your request, for example, you are a baker and someone else in your team is off. In these situations your manager should have a conversation with you about how this can be accommodated, for example could you come in for a couple of hours whilst we arrange cover for you and then you leave to deal with the emergency. If your manager is unable to accommodate your request for emergency leave, and you take the time off anyway, your absence will be treated as unauthorised.

If you phone in and request emergency leave and your request is refused, then you subsequently phone in absent you manager will have a conversation with you about this and may initiate an investigation.""

Cinderella

Thanks, that’s the exact info I also read in the Tesco policies. However, it doesn’t say whether the leave will be added to the absence percentage. I’ve asked a union rep to look into it, but her initial thoughts are that it will be included

Redshoes

All absence is added in. If you have taken the domestic as unpaid or used holiday it will then be taken out. If they feel you have abused the domestic absence this is a separate issue. It reads like you have not followed policy by not ringing duty. You may have thought you were helping but it's not the way things should be done. Even if it had not been noticed on the day that someone else was picking up your shift it would show on exceptions.
As you seem to have then had ongoing issues you have not helped your case by going round the duty manager. Not notifying that you are not coming in has hindered you getting additional support. If you had rung in you would have been asked how much time you need. You would have been told to ring back and update and agreed a day for coming back to work.
By not ringing in it may look like you were trying to hide your absence. You have in fact not done this but you have added to the fact that and you needed extra time so it has all gone belly up.

Cinderella

I DID call in.. and they told me I had to work half of the shift. I just arranged cover first, so I could offer a solution instead of a problem. I did call the store, I didn’t hide the absence, I was in full contact with them, updating them of the situation. But still they said I had to come in

Redshoes

I know you called your own dept but it reads like you just did that and that you did not all duty manager. Not calling duty won't help your case.

Cinderella

You keep saying it reads like that, but I also keep saying I did call them! My department manager was the duty manager that day. As I said in one of my posts, I initially called to say I was going to be late because I was waiting for repairs, but I had someone coming to cover until I get there. When the repairs didn’t start on time, I called back with an update. When they got complicated and were going to take all day, I called again. I then got a call back, telling me I had to come in, or I would be investigated. On no sleep, and stressed, I ran straight in.

I’m trying to stay anonymous, so didn’t want to go into too much detail, but I do keep saying I did contact the store - which to me, means I called the duty manager. Emergency leave wasn’t mentioned to me once, and I didn’t know such a thing was in place, until someone told me when I worked on no sleep for a second time when the situation became an emergency once again. The second time I didn’t even attempt to get repairs, as I believed I would be threatened with investigation again.

Welshie

@Cinderella  , unless you work 7 days a week , you now know that you need repairs done to your home . It is up to you to arrange these repairs for your day off or arrange a shift swap to accommodate repairs . The fact that the damage keeps getting worse because you have not done this does not make it an emergency leave situation for a second time and will lead to further problems in work .

Cinderella

I live in a council property, so they won’t come at my convenience, they just tell me a date and time and expect me to stay home for it. Believe me, I have tried! I was simply posting to try to find out whether emergency leave counts towards the absence percentage, because as I said, I was told “absence is absence” and that I had to come in. I just wanted more information on the policy, as I wasn’t made aware of it, and the repairs would have been done the day the issue occurred, if the duty manager had offered me emergency leave when I phoned in.

As I said, I just wanted to know whether emergency leave counts in the absence percentage, but I’ve felt like I’ve had to explain more and more, as it seems some of my posts have been misunderstood.

Nomad

I wish I could answer your policy question, but I'm not up to date on such matters.  I hope somebody can give you a definitive answer.

"I live in a council property, so they won’t come at my convenience, they just tell me a date and time and expect me to stay home for it"

I know others that have found themselves in the above 'catch 22' situation.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Welshie

Quote from: Cinderella on 06-12-20, 02:03PM
I live in a council property, so they won’t come at my convenience, they just tell me a date and time and expect me to stay home for it. Believe me, I have tried! I was simply posting to try to find out whether emergency leave counts towards the absence percentage, because as I said, I was told “absence is absence” and that I had to come in. I just wanted more information on the policy, as I wasn’t made aware of it, and the repairs would have been done the day the issue occurred, if the duty manager had offered me emergency leave when I phoned in.

As I said, I just wanted to know whether emergency leave counts in the absence percentage, but I’ve felt like I’ve had to explain more and more, as it seems some of my posts have been misunderstood.

In my experience, it was not classed as absence as I had to work it back . I had to agree when I would work it back while on the phone telling them I wouldn't be in . Let's be honest you'll agree to anything when you have water coming up through your floor .

Katarn2000

In the new policy only sickness absence goes into the%

whatajoke2019

That was always my understanding too-without looking at the relevant policies I'm led to believe, in our store, some managers carried out investigations on former colleagues who rang in quite often with domestic issues as opposed to sickness.

Cinderella

This was to be my first ever domestic or emergency situation whilst working with the company. They told me there is no more domestic leave, and that “absence is absence”, and yet other people have ‘domestic’ appear next to their name on the schedule when something comes up for them!

Thanks for the info on the policies, I’m going to ask them why I wasn’t offered emergency leave, and was told I had to come in and leave the repairs. We have a couple of newly appointed managers, so I’m not sure if they’re just not all up to date on the policies! I wasn’t offered to take it as holiday, or even work another day in lieu. I was just told I had to attend the shift. I wish I knew about the emergency leave policy in advance, so I could have enquired about it on the day!

NightAndDay

It'll be Mickey Mouse managers trying to pull a fast one, remember to grievance as appropriate if necessary (under managers not following policy.)

Nomad

I'm sure Redshoes can give you some advice on how to grievance against manager(s) not following policy  :-*
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Cbatt566

Hi all, just wondering if you can help guide me. I’m a temp and I’m taking holiday over Christmas as I refuse to work it. Anyway, i normally work nights on a Sunday and an overtime shift has come up for days, would I be allowed to do it or is that is silly question?

oldfashionedplayer

If its on your contracted day then no if you've booked it off, if it's just a general day you've been offered and you've said no, then feel free 😂

gomezz

I thought you could work the shift on a day booked off which would cancel the holiday then paid as normal plus for any overtime hours over and above contracted shift length?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

happyharry

I was asked to come in one day when on holiday - when I got my wages, I was paid for that shift but lost my holiday. My manager sorted it out in the end, but be careful doing this - Tesco say it's your choice to work on a day you've taken as holiday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk