News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 02:42PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,427
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Equal Pay/Leigh Day /Tom Hewitt/

Started by OpShunned, 22-03-17, 05:49PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFraz

Quote from: nightslave101 on 07-02-18, 07:38PM
I can see this going down like a lead balloon. As someone has said, any barrister worth their salt will likely rip it apart. It's sexist for one.

You have women working alongside men in distribution on the same hourly rate. You have women working alongside men in stores, again on the same hourly rate. How in anyone's world can you award just the women working at stores back pay, what about all the men on the lower rated compared to the men at distribution?

If they can prove the jobs are the same then surely everyone should be due some sort of back pay.

Support the women if you think it is right.

The men will benefit in store too eventually.

BarryZola

Quote from: Nomad on 07-02-18, 07:26PM
BarryZola, nice piece.  Lets face it folks there are those who would not last a day in a DC but the inverse is also true, those who would have had enough in a store after a day.

Thank you. We all face our hardships in both stores and DC's, neither are an easy job any more, but I genuinely feel it can be argued that we deserve an equivalent wage, as we're providing equivalent value to the company.

BarryZola

Quote from: nightslave101 on 07-02-18, 07:38PM
I can see this going down like a lead balloon. As someone has said, any barrister worth their salt will likely rip it apart. It's sexist for one.

You have women working alongside men in distribution on the same hourly rate. You have women working alongside men in stores, again on the same hourly rate. How in anyone's world can you award just the women working at stores back pay, what about all the men on the lower rated compared to the men at distribution?

If they can prove the jobs are the same then surely everyone should be due some sort of back pay.

I'm thinking the overall point is that they are fighting for pay equality between all in store workers and DC's, it's probably just the in thing at the moment to play the women vs men card to raise awareness and garner support. It works well apparently. That's cool with me, because there's no way that male in store workers will not be eligible for the same outcome as female workers in the same positions. If the case wins then both women and men in store workers will win. That's an absolute fact. If not, male in store workers would have the strongest sex discrimination case seen ever.

Tape measure

Quote from: notsofunny on 07-02-18, 07:25PM
Quote from: Retrokid on 07-02-18, 07:08PM
Quote from: BarryZola on 07-02-18, 06:50PM

How multi-skilled do you have to be for your wage in DC's? Do you have to not only be able to perform your own job to an acceptable standard, but also have to be trained and ready to jump on a checkout, push a dotcom shopping trolley around and have your time etc monitored via computer whilst doing it, go and help unload a lorry because the staff aren't available on back door, jump on the security podium for an hour to cover a break. What about the staff who do the community stuff and provide a service to local schools and stuff taking children around the store along with their teachers showing them how the store operates and teaching them about different foods etc.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Why is it that those that seem to want a pay off have spent all this time working in store rather than moveing to w/house for better pay ? They can still do it if they want but wont  8-) or is it a case that they want something for nothing ?  I still remember that working in a w/house was looked down on and still is by some ,
Having seen some in store I wonder how they could lift a case , since they find it hard just to walk with a trolley

Sorry I didn't realize how hard you had it in stores, showing children around store, community work, sat on checkouts chatting, go on security desk and watch a camera screen.
I've been a fool, picking 24 pallets of spuds and mellons, working in freezers, loading trailers safely to comply with road transport regulation, and 24/7 monitoring. If you do get your pay rise I will be first in line for a store transfer. Incidentally my DC has 50 warehouse vacancies, if your that hard done by go on Tesco careers website, look for vacancies and transfer to Dc. Stop whinging and do it.

May I suggest that if there are those who are unhappy at DC then apply for jobs elsewhere.

Do not be so quick to judge others in the positions they hold in each store. Everyone has their own story of how difficult it's been at times working on their department.

From experience. I have witnessed that some instore night staff assume that shopfloor day staff do little.
It's a different routine to night work. Do some DC staff assume all store staff in general do little as one realises by reading in here!

If you are unhappy with your situation at Tesco then change it. Those who are have sort legal advice. Try not to be so bitter at those wanting change.

notsofunny

In case you are talking to me then , would just point out I worked at stores not DC,

I do agree that those that are unhappy in what ever job they do or what they get paid should apply for jobs they like or for those that pay more ,

optout

Just a quick question

If DCs dropped their wages to the same rate as shop-floor staff, would there be people in the country that would do the DC jobs?

And if so, why?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

BarryZola

Quote from: notsofunny on 07-02-18, 08:20PM
In case you are talking to me then , would just point out I worked at stores not DC,

I do agree that those that are unhappy in what ever job they do or what they get paid should apply for jobs they like or for those that pay more ,

I used to think this way, but then I saw stupid claims like the women who worked for Birmingham Council getting ridiculous payouts after retiring from jobs they'd happily done for many years. Then I realized that nothing was outside the realms of possibility. Human nature and the growth of such lawsuits says that if other people are getting payouts for things like that, we'll take our piece if and when it comes. I do think that store workers have a genuine case here too. My morals pretty much go out of the window with this one as Tesco didn't think about me too much when taking away my Sunday premiums, overtime premiums, team leader positions, opportunities for management positions, reduced the value of pensions etc. Forgive me for not having much compassion for a company who has shown no compassion for its employees for quite a few years now.

chris9997

Personally I do think that dc work and store work is very similar the person who states that they picked X amount of pallets good for you,but in store quite often there is no luxury for picking a pallet you have to physically lift most stock, not forgetting the awful stacking from the DC (particularly yougart which h has to be sorted and tidied by someone and the stock that comes on damaged cages ( quite often still with the Yellow fault label still attached)

notsofunny

Quote from: BarryZola on 07-02-18, 08:32PM

I used to think this way, but then I saw stupid claims like the women who worked for Birmingham Council getting ridiculous payouts after retiring from jobs they'd happily done for many years. Then I realized that nothing was outside the realms of possibility. Human nature and the growth of such lawsuits says that if other people are getting payouts for things like that, we'll take our piece if and when it comes. I do think that store workers have a genuine case here too. My morals pretty much go out of the window with this one as Tesco didn't think about me too much when taking away my Sunday premiums, overtime premiums, team leader positions, opportunities for management positions, reduced the value of pensions etc. Forgive me for not having much compassion for a company who has shown no compassion for its employees for quite a few years now.
So is this all about you getting your own back ?   And for others greed , I used to read about Ambulance casers and what not in the US and wonder how long before it all hit the UK , well it has  :(

BarryZola

Quote from: optout on 07-02-18, 08:29PM
Just a quick question

If DCs dropped their wages to the same rate as shop-floor staff, would there be people in the country that would do the DC jobs?

And if so, why?

Yes, I would, if the DC was in my area and I was looking for a job. I've worked in retail since I was 17 and that was a cash and carry firstly. Endless days of lifting TV's around (before they were flat screen), furniture flat-packs etc.

Worked at Tesco after that on nights and the work was hard too. Pulling cages out all night on household etc and then taking what's left back at the end of the night, after throwing all the other boxes of washing powder etc on the shelf all night. A decade on you find yourself on days and you have customers to deal with as well as trying to keep the same things on the shelf and make sure there are no gaps to keep 'availability' up. Add to the fact I may have years of experience and training on Price Integrity, Stock Control, Merchandising, Dotcom, Replenishment, year of filling in on other departments as is expected. There are some people who have been with the company so long that we could probably adequately pick up the duty phone on any given day and do a decent enough job of it until we passed on the details to the nightshift duty. This experience also means that we can cater to customers when they have various problems, hoping to satisfy them. This isn't always easy and comes with experience and maturity in many cases.

Basic rate is a joke for MOST workers in store. Especially the most experienced.

BarryZola

Quote from: notsofunny on 07-02-18, 09:14PM

So is this all about you getting your own back ?   And for others greed , I used to read about Ambulance casers and what not in the US and wonder how long before it all hit the UK , well it has  :(

You can't beat them now, it's too late. May as well join 'em. Especially if a law firm is going to do it for you. May as well be happy to grab yours when you can nowadays. Insurance goes up every year and we have to eat that on the fact that the world is full of cheats. Gotta get your piece back whenever you can now. No room for sentiment. Especially when it's related to a company that is happy to take your benefits away from you at any turn.

twit

How sad - internecine fighting over who works hardest to gain £8 or £10 per hour? That pension deficit is due to the company electing to defer paying their committed amount into the pension fund - thereby allowing them to pay shareholders a dividend for gambling.
Workers need to unite - not fight. You're already being abused over your pensions - don't become divided over the lowest hourly rates in the sector.

BarryZola

Quote from: twit on 07-02-18, 09:39PM
How sad - internecine fighting over who works hardest to gain £8 or £10 per hour? That pension deficit is due to the company electing to defer paying their committed amount into the pension fund - thereby allowing them to pay shareholders a dividend for gambling.
Workers need to unite - not fight. You're already being abused over your pensions - don't become divided over the lowest hourly rates in the sector.

We're not really fighting when you look at the big picture. Us store workers are just looking to get a big massive free payout. Others don't like it 'cus they've wasted their extra money over the years on holidays and hot cars etc,. Now we're gonna be minted ;)

OpShunned

Now Now Bazza.. :D

If Booker only had a crystal ball to see how this pans out!

They may decide to give Tosco a body-swerve and stay as they are, which is profitable and successful. Why let Drastic Dave jump on their back like a parasitic bloodsucker?

Time will tell whether they were hoodwinked at the lodge.

BarryZola

Quote from: OpShunned on 07-02-18, 10:16PM
Now Now Bazza.. :D

If Booker only had a crystal ball to see how this pans out!

They may decide to give Tosco a body-swerve and stay as they are, which is profitable and successful. Why let Drastic Dave jump on their back like a parasitic bloodsucker?

Time will tell whether they were hoodwinked at the lodge.

It's almost as if you have a crystal ball :)

JL

The bikes will be getting ditched for a 57 reg Merc. 

mexicopete

Spot on post Baz, this company has screwed it's staff for many years under the watchful eye of our wonderful union, who did absolutely nothing to bring them to heel. I couldn't agree more with you and for me the Sunday premium fiasco was the straw that broke the camels back. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The worlds me lobster

BarryZola

Quote from: mexicopete on 07-02-18, 10:55PM

Spot on post Baz, this company has screwed it's staff for many years under the watchful eye of our wonderful union, who did absolutely nothing to bring them to heel. I couldn't agree more with you and for me the Sunday premium fiasco was the straw that broke the camels back. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Defo. They're taking away the Sunday premium. We'll probably only get a few hundred quid clean after tax when they cut the rate (maybe £500 if we're lucky?). Where was Usdaw? Any organisation worth their salt would have told them to stuff themselves I would hope.

FatFraz

Redundancy and a top up from equal pay hopefully    ;)

Duracell

As far as I am aware (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong), rates in stores are standardised dependant on the role.

It seems Leigh day have limited and some could say bias points of reference, do they believe Distribution is standardised like retail? Because they are not, there are several hourly rates for the same role within Distribution, in retail if you transfer as a GA from one location to another providing the store format is the same, your hourly rate remains the same doesn't it?
Within Distribution that is not the case, there are different Warehouse Hourly rates. Dependant on the History of your contract type warehouse workers in group 1 are paid a different hourly rate than workers in group 2 at another location who's negotiating group is different.
How can sector A draw a comparison with sector B and insist on the same As B when sector B has disparity within it. Do claimants and their legal team view Distributions hourly rates and the negotiating method as the same as that of stores? A big yet illformed or basic mistake

Sunday Premium claim ? What happened with that?

Distribution Pay is far more fragmented than stores, stores are far more consistent, All locations within retail negotiate as 1 group. That approach has far more scope to challenge an inappropriate hourly rate, that process has not even tried to address the underlying basis of this claim. Parity with Distribution for equal value work.

I believe people should be paid the correct wage for what they do.
I believe the claim and the information which probably isn't fully understood that will have to be fully considered will be too complicated to simply say a shop workers hourly rate should be the same as a Distribution workers hourly rate. Particularly when it can be shown that Distribution Hourly Rates vary and are not the same anyway.
There is to much complexity to make such a simplistic judgement.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

FatFraz

Quote from: Duracell on 07-02-18, 11:40PM
As far as I am aware (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong), rates in stores are standardised dependant on the role.

It seems Leigh day have limited and some could say bias points of reference, do they believe Distribution is standardised like retail? Because they are not, there are several hourly rates for the same role within Distribution, in retail if you transfer as a GA from one location to another providing the store format is the same, your hourly rate remains the same doesn't it?
Within Distribution that is not the case, there are different Warehouse Hourly rates. Dependant on the History of your contract type warehouse workers in group 1 are paid a different hourly rate than workers in group 2 at another location who's negotiating group is different.
How can sector A draw a comparison with sector B and insist on the same As B when sector B has disparity within it. Do claimants and their legal team view Distributions hourly rates and the negotiating method as the same as that of stores? A big yet illformed or basic mistake

That's nice!
Sunday Premium claim ? What happened with that?

Distribution Pay is far more fragmented than stores, stores are far more consistent, All locations within retail negotiate as 1 group. That approach has far more scope to challenge an inappropriate hourly rate, that process has not even tried to address the underlying basis of this claim. Parity with Distribution for equal value work.

I believe people should be paid the correct wage for what they do.
I believe the claim and the information which probably isn't fully understood that will have to be fully considered will be too complicated to simply say a shop workers hourly rate should be the same as a Distribution workers hourly rate. Particularly when it can be shown that Distribution Hourly Rates vary and are not the same anyway.
There is to much complexity to make such a simplistic judgement.

That's nice

billandben

It shows that DC's have a better union

lackofinterest

those were the days :), then thatcher ruined them :'(

Welshie

Why could DC staff in lower paid dc's not make a claim then ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk