News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 04:24PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 318
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 314
Total: 316

Food Stock Managers

Started by beentheredoneit, 01-10-19, 08:04PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

A company can say 'reasonable' jobs have been offered but that is not necessarily the opinion of the person(s) that have been offered the jobs.

It's a sad fact that in modern society we all need to fight for our rights no matter how big or insignificant those rights may at first appear to be, give companies an inch and be in no doubt they will take a mile (or two).
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

stockstaffreduction

I have been offered/suggested/asked/informed other roles are available, which so far I have declined.
I use the above words as im unclear as to the intentions of Tesco in terms of formal action.
However at no point has a suggestion been made that if I continue to decline these offers that I could find myself in a difficult situation.
If anyone has been told any different then I would be interested to know.

beentheredoneit

It is, of course, still a 'soft' change.
Their argument that they have offered alternative jobs and been declined is one method for them to be 'legal - I have sought outside legal advise, and this is a major reason it is not a redundancy situation. 'Immoral', but not 'illegal'. b*****ds.
beentheredoneit

King1999

Treat people how they want to be treated they are breaking a core value.Quote this to them,it seems to be a regular quote in our store.Dignity at work another one and mention empathy training on e learning it all a joke.

darklighter

What's the problem, all managers are apparently trained to the same standard, in our store they swap roles roughly every two years and gain experience on different departments, is that a bad thing?
Sure, there are problems with accomodating the right hours for different needs and situations but is that any different than what is required of a G.A, they are told, this is the business plan, these are the hours we need filled, can you accomodate that?
I am afraid Management think on an exeptionalist level that they are somehow inexpendable yet the g.a Must, "Suck it up".
The sooner some realise that they are just employees, the same as the rest then things will bode better for them in the future!
You are not, Mr/Mrs Tesco, you are no better or worse than any other employee, you are a number, that is all.

Redshoes

It used to be that you did not even get onto options if you were not willing to travel. In my area this is very much the case. The distance part can vary. It can take an hour to travel 5 miles or 30 depending on where you live. In my area, managers have to commit to be willing to travel an hour. The costs are what they are but can't be claimed once appointed. With so few jobs coming up there will be loads chasing a single job. There is a lot to be said for not working in your nearest store. The whole work life balance thing is much better, the journey to and from work is chill time too. i strongly recommend it. I work with two part-time job share young mothers who both travel, they not only do this but pass other stores to get to ours. Out of the whole management team only two live close. There is varied experience between the team, some of the managers have worked together in the past, in different stores. The people you work with matter more than the job you do. We work to pay the bills but sometimes you need to think outside the box and take a chance.

King1999

My experience is staff are far from expendable after recent cuts as for managers,what exactly some are paid for god knows.Winding up staff and bullying maybe.

Me2015

There is a slight difference to some who argue that managers be treated he same way as a GA, and in the main I agree that there should be little difference with training, ability to get on ect however the contracts are different and therefore there must be a difference in how these are interpreted.

As my time as a manager, I’ve never, ever treated my team with the contempt that others share on here, I value them as much as they value me. We worked as a team and the trust and honesty was always clear.  The firm has screwed over managers as much as they have screwed GA’s.

Legally, a role must be ‘suitable’ for it to be deemed reasonable.  Although some say a manager can do any manager role, we are human also. I have kids, I have health issues, and as much as I’d work with my team to do the right thing, I’d expect the firm to do the same by me.  There is never going to be able push to get you out of this role, they know by doing so it will give rise to a ET claim.

Stick to your guns, be clear why you can’t do the ‘offered’ roles and don’t take any threats lying down!

chris9997

I would say the reason that it has gone quiet on the management movement front is more to do with covid19 rather than they have changed there mind, at the moment the covid situation is a little unknown going forward and maybe they are being a little cautious.

stockstaffreduction

Quote from: darklighter on 14-09-20, 12:49AM
What's the problem, all managers are apparently trained to the same standard, in our store they swap roles roughly every two years and gain experience on different departments, is that a bad thing?
Sure, there are problems with accomodating the right hours for different needs and situations but is that any different than what is required of a G.A, they are told, this is the business plan, these are the hours we need filled, can you accomodate that?
I am afraid Management think on an exeptionalist level that they are somehow inexpendable yet the g.a Must, "Suck it up".
The sooner some realise that they are just employees, the same as the rest then things will bode better for them in the future!
You are not, Mr/Mrs Tesco, you are no better or worse than any other employee, you are a number, that is all.

I  might be getting the context of your statement wrong, but I certaintly as a long serving manager do not expect any special treatment. C/A's, Team Leaders, nights, Tech Team and other Management roles have all been been lost in the past, and in most cases those who did not want to stay had the redundancy option. However the Food Stock Managers have never had this option.
Tesco have said this will now be managed by "soft structure" but I for one still dont really know what this means in reality. To make the "reality" point clear, yes I have been told I can stay in my role, however my colleague in the same role 30 mins down the road is constantly being told different to me and is unsure what to do.
What will happen in the future is what we would like to know. I know some of you food stockies have been told you can stay in the role until you leave the business or there is a major structure change, but why are other food stockies being told they need to move or they face being dealt with and having no job.

Dooby27

This is probably about inconsistency in the store managers communication, as I know in my store the stock manager moved to another store down the road. But this not always the case, as with a soft structure change the idea is to move managers to a suitable role and not as a redundancy. The reason it’s not redundant is because the role still exists in stores. I do not believe it is right to keep people holding on until a role becomes available. Ultimately it will be probably be more of the same with more soft structure changes as will probably be with other manager and lead team roles.

stockstaffreduction

Dooby27.

I hear what your saying about the role still being alive in stores, however others such as nights, team leaders and bakery have had the redundancy option, and these roles still exsist?

Dooby27

Completely agree, I think this is the issue as for a large company you would expect the same process to be followed. It seems they are treating every store different, and therefore different roles remain in some stores, some given redundancy and some not. The structure in my store as an extra is still very top heavy. Counters and bakery are together, produce on its own for now. But there is still lead team in place with less managers. I think my role is safe for now , but who knows what next year brings, as structures are reviewed yearly. I suspect a reduction of more manager and more trials of less overall managers.

NightAndDay

The reason for the ambiguity around the process of soft structure change is because it's a made up process by Tesco they can't stipulate the structure of it because of the legally sensitive nature of redundancy situations, unfortunately the legal team give too much credit to the amount of common sense managers have and not enough to floor staffs legal knowledge, i.e cajoling, bullying or lying to colleagues to take an unfavourable job (which I've read is the case with some managers) isn't the intended course of action and if the effected colleague does it right they can leave Tesco in a legally unfavourable position (due to the ineptness and arrogance of the managers decision making), the sole purpose of the soft structure change process is to delay and reduce the odds of them having to pay out redundancy by keeping colleagues in limbo until a vacancy comes along.

Mildew

That’s it in a nutshell Night and Day. And who would be willing to add two hours onto their working day in travel when it’s five minutes currently. Loony toons.

BBA

Quote from: stockstaffreduction on 13-09-20, 06:56PM
I have been offered/suggested/asked/informed other roles are available, which so far I have declined.
I use the above words as im unclear as to the intentions of Tesco in terms of formal action.
However at no point has a suggestion been made that if I continue to decline these offers that I could find myself in a difficult situation.
If anyone has been told any different then I would be interested to know.

My role was in the annual review in July.
I have been told that if I don’t take any of the roles available now, come March when it’s the end of my annual review if there’s a manager role there and I don’t want to accept it then I would get constructive dismissal and re-employed into that role.... scare Tactics

Hammer10

You should be grateful they are offering you a job in the current market they could bully you into taking it do you think you are special or something being a manager is what it says you manage nothing else .

Mildew

“They could bully you”.  Well bullies don’t like being pushed back and so far they really haven’t.  Glad I went through the grievance process and cemented my position.

Redshoes

Quote from: Mildew on 15-09-20, 01:06PM
That’s it in a nutshell Night and Day. And who would be willing to add two hours onto their working day in travel when it’s five minutes currently. Loony toons.

That's all very well and good but do they have a job for you.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Hammer10 on 16-09-20, 07:02AM
You should be grateful they are offering you a job in the current market they could bully you into taking it do you think you are special or something being a manager is what it says you manage nothing else .

Job market is irrespective of the legal stipulations of reasonability, nobody is more special than the law except the queen.

Me2015

Quote from: Hammer10 on 16-09-20, 07:02AM
What is it you have against Stock Managers not taking a role? In all the post you have added on this thread, you have been negative and not seeing the bigger picture of each role. 
Are you a manager?  It sounds like you are not given what you are saying!
A role needs to be a ‘suitable alternative’ that is what the law says.  This talk of a manager can do any manager role is BS.  For those of us who have been in the role for a very long time, me, more than 15 years, to be told to go and do, say a nights or checkout manager role, nah, I’m not going to lay down and accept a role I don’t want to do, and that is the difference, in a GA contract it states ‘any reasonable request’ and this cannot be easily applied to a manager in the same context.
Please back these people in this role, if they wanted to move, they would have.  If as you say they are lucky to be offered a role, then great if that’s what is right for them, but don’t just assume everyone wants the same as you!

Hammer10

I am a manager ,it is managers who don’t look at the bigger picture for the good of the store that annoy me I have managed bakery,nights,produce,dairy,stock control,grocery,at the end of the day all you are doing is making sure your team are doing what is needed to be done and that is serve the customer and take lots of money.I have been with the company nearly 41 years and worked my way up I am not a graduate just given a job because I have qualifications I did it the hard way and learnt a lot from different store managers which I put to good use each and every day.

Me2015

Right, so are you annoyed at moving out of stock control?

The company have made a mess of this. Fair play to you for lasting so long and still being a company man, despite the huge difference in benefits you now enjoy.  That is your choice to carry on doing the role you are doing, why should your opinion be what everyone else thinks, and not be allowed to be treated differently?

I’ve been in the company 27 years, like you worked my way up, but the last 5/6 years have ripped the heart out of me and the way I think.  I’d say the other managers in similar position, who are now waiting it out, feel the same.

Most are the same as you, not given the job due to qualifications, who even spoke about that? I can only assume you are a tad bitter with the new recruits coming through and being young, high fliers with loads of qualifications and no experience?

Don’t begrudge your fellow managers to do what is right for them, and not for the company!!

NightAndDay

You don't need a degree to be a manager, at the same time however, Tescos promotion practices are too subjective to be proud of "working your way up". There are countless numbers of people held back at Tesco who moved to a higher positioned job at a competitor.

Dooby27

Completely agree, however with less team managers and probably less senior team at some point. How can be opportunities to get on with less management in the structure. I suspect every year it will be about taking more managers out of the store and having a structure similar to Aldi. What this means I think is if there are further changes there are less positions around to go into. Surely the company can see they will need to offer redundancy at that point.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk