News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 06:04PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 277
Total: 282

Sunday premium and night premium.

Started by nightcat, 13-11-20, 04:48PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightcat

Hi, I work 22.00 to 6.30 am on a Sunday night. Just wanted to clarify
that I am getting paid the correct premiums. My understanding is I should
be getting 2 hrs of Sunday premium for 22.00 to midnight. 5 hours of night
premium plus the additional £2.21 for working a full shift. I have an hour of
breaks deducted from this.

craig77

Providing you take the full hour of breaks before 6AM then yes your calculations are correct.

nightcat

Thanks for the reply. Does the payroll system automatically calculate
the correct premiums or is this done manually?

whatajoke2019

If I'm wrong, I apologise, but I have a feeling it'll be coded by wages.

A few months ago I had a change of shift pattern and should've received a night premium as I worked a couple of hours beforehand that qualified but come pay day it wasn't there.

Never bothered to challenge it because I'd have lost it through tax and National Insurance.

If its a contracted shift it is an automatic payment.

nightcat

It is a contracted shift. Was told that after doing a data sweep,it
had been picked up that I was being paid an hour of night premium
that I shouldn't have been. Went through all my past payslips and could
find no record of this. I did find that on this latest payslip,I had not
been correctly paid my Sunday premium. I always assumed the premiums
were calculated automatically. Can't understand why the Sunday
premium is now incorrect.Clock in and out on time. Just wondering if
wages had altered something manually.

If you've been on holiday or off sick your Sunday Premiums drop and are included in the relevant payment. Have you been off at all? Done a shift swap?

nightcat

No this was a month with no holidays or sickness,time off. I find it
funny that I was told I was being paid too much night premium and
now all of a sudden my Sunday premium is wrong.

NightAndDay

Quote from: 80377494 on 14-11-20, 02:02PM
If you've been on holiday or off sick your Sunday Premiums drop and are included in the relevant payment. Have you been off at all? Done a shift swap?

Contracted hours which fall under night premium and sunday premium automatically make up the calculation of the weekly pay, holiday pay is paid at either the contracted rate (so at least what their weekly pay is which includes the sunday premium and night premium they do as part of their contracted hours) or the average weekly pay based on the last 12 weeks of pay data, so if the OP has done any overtime without going off sick in the 12 weeks before they take their holiday, their holiday pay should be higher than their contracted.

Edit, I've just realised you may have meant the itemised sunday premium element of their payslip, yes, they wouldn't have actually lost any money, but it would appear less than normal.

NightAndDay

Yes I did mean the itemised Sunday premium would be lower if on holiday, etc.

Horrendous123

If someone did a contracted shift 10pm - 6am with 30 minute break is Night premium paid at 5.5hoursx£2.30 and extra night premium 1 x £2.30. Being told don't get the extra Night premium payment. Surely manager has this wrong?? As I do 9pm - 10pm overtime he's pulled my shift forward one hour and paid overtime 5 - 6am instead therefore making me ineligible for the extra night premium I think. Has he got this wrong? Thanks for your help

chris9997

I would expect that the extra night premium would still be paid, he should not be able to change your core hours as you have still worked them.

lucgeo

@Horrendous123

Simple...don't do the overtime, as you're losing your premium, therefore your being penalised and paid less than minimum wage on the 9-10 pm hour OT! And give him that reason for not working it anymore!

As already said, he can't change your contracted core hours, and you've clocked in and out, and worked them? How is he getting round the system of not paying the premium rate? I don't know what pay system you're on, but it must flag up for a premium payment as it's your usual core hours? Is it being done manually by him as an exception? Robbing barstool!!  >:(

I'd also double check, that you're not being automatically deducted a longer unpaid  break, as your clocked  shift is now 9 hours?
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

whatajoke2019

If you work between midnight and 6am* you will receive a night premium of £2.30 per hour.

If you work a full shift overnight before midnight and after 6am* who will receive an Extra Night Premium payment of £2.30

*When working a Saturday night into Sunday morning, both night premium and Sunday premium are paid for the relevant hours.

So you should absolutely be getting the extra night premium for working between Midnight and 6am!

Horrendous123

Thanks for replies. Yes it was being altered manually. Everytime I came in an hour earlier 9pm instead of 10pm as overtime the system was automatically taking an hour break off me, so I was effectively coming in an hour earlier to have an extra hour break according to system even though I wasn't. Now rather than the overtime being coded 9pm till 10pm it looks like it's been manually done 9pm - 5am and separately 5am - 6am, therefore I'm losing out on the extra hour night premium every shift. Annoying thing is he was paying me correctly for months, then all of a sudden when I raised a issue of shortfall in my wages he tells me another manager says I'm getting overpaid. Why is everything with tesco so sh#te and overcomplicated!!!

Horrendous123

Further more they've done another bodge on me. Coded holiday to days I don't work without changing basic hours to overtime so effectively the system is underpaying basic hours. Before anyone comments what I'm on about rightly or wrongly effectively supposed to be paid overtime for using my holiday shifts. Done it before without any problem, this time I obviously regret it big time as all that has happened is I've used holiday allowance and ended up losing basic hours as system will not allow basic hours + holiday hours to be greater than set total 4 weekly basic hours. Basically been hung out to dry and told we don't know how to sort it. Shall I raise a query online for both matters? Pay queries are supposed to be dealt with within 5 days I read somewhere, clearly not the case here. Partly my own fault but still don't deserve to be stitched up by managers/ payroll/ system incompetence!

Redshoes

If you are on the work and pay system the shifts you are working and the holidays booked can been seen by you via the extra hour market. Absences, holidays or sickness, can't be booked on non working days. If you change your contracted hours you need your holidays need to be updated. They are booked to start and end time of shift too so if this changes it needs to be adjusted. The system will allow you to book blocks of time off so with a start and end being the start time of your first shift and end time of your last shift but it's not always the best way to put into the system.

lucgeo

Redshoes talking in blue and red again...always non committal, stating rules but not really answering or offering an insight into the question, as to whether the manager is pulling a fast one!!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Horrendous123

There must be a loophole or bug in the system then as I've looked at it online and I've been booked (by my manager) 2 holidays on 2 days I don't work. And then allocated overtime on my normal working days. Don't know how it is possible but it is. Oh well won't be doing any overtime for tesco again.

madness

You can move contracted days to different days and then put them through as hols. Then work overtime on days you normally work. Some folk ask about it so they can earn more and arn't bothered about being off.

Redshoes

It's hard to give detailed answers when missing full picture. It's impossible to say what has appended as would have to view wage slip and then look at what has happened on screen.
I had a colleague come to me once. Her primary dept was CSD and she did some grocery overtime. The grocery manager put her on frog for this shift and her name was added to the grocery rota. This colleague failed to clock in that day. Somehow colleague still insisted it was all my fault, not long after she left saying or wages system is faulty. I had spoken to the grocery manager and confirmed she had done this shift so arranged for it to be put into the next pay packet but it was just not good enough for this colleague. I have five Depts with over fifty colleagues so I think that colleagues need to show some understanding and not blame me when they fail to clock. We do have forms available for if card is forgotten.

Horrendous123

I take it you're a manager "redshoes". Its got nothing to do with mis-clocks or working on other departments in my case. I keep a spreadsheet of all hours worked so I know what I should be paid. Further more the manager clearly doesn't know what they are doing as I work 9pm - 6am shifts and am no longer paid 1 extra night premium hour per shift which is wrong.

Redshoes

In my store the wages clerk codes exceptions. She may message to see why shifts were changed or people not in as expected. We do as much as we can to limit exceptions, we leave messages for her. Colleagues fill in slips to say forgot clocking in card. We don't have a night shift in my store, we only get the premium from 0500-0600. Managers used to have to request this premium for themselves but we don't now. We don't clock but wages clerk puts in our shifts and it's automatic. If this happens for managers I assume the night premium is paid automatically according to shifts but I am willing to stand corrected on this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk