News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:17PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,117
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

BLM

Started by Mark calloway, 13-07-20, 06:05PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark calloway

Why is tosco forcing this BLM stuff on us? It's a Marxist organisation for pitys sake. ALL lives matter.

penguin

What have Tesco forced on us in terms of black lives matter ? 

Can’t say I’ve seen anything from them other than a statement from Dave Lewis explaining the company is against any discrimination.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

londoner83

All I've seen is messages explaining what the company is doing to change.

The fact that the % of store managers/sd's or directors within Tesco identifying as BAME is below the % of BAME in the general population shows we have some way to go.

manbearpig

I hope they don't go down the route of affirmative action.

notsofunny

Why not ?  after all if that leads to a more equal society why should we not have it ?

Mark calloway

In what way are we unequal????

Katarn2000

Affirmative action is illegal in the UK. They have it in the USA and god knows we don't need that place as an example.

notsofunny

Quote from: Mark calloway on 14-07-20, 06:02AM
In what way are we unequal????

A person gets the job due to ability and not race /disability/ color /sexual orientation , which at the moment they do not ,

notsofunny

Quote from: Katarn2000 on 14-07-20, 07:26AM
Affirmative action is illegal in the UK. They have it in the USA and god knows we don't need that place as an example.

The Equality Act 2010  I think covers it as far as i can Understand it ,,,,,,,,,,,,

manbearpig

Quote from: notsofunny on 14-07-20, 02:00AM

Why not ?  after all if that leads to a more equal society why should we not have it ?

Employing people purely based on the colour of their skin and not on their experience and qualifications does not lead to a more equal society.

notsofunny

It does not if the starting point is the colour of one skins not the Experience and qualification ,

and I agree with you with what you say put  unfortunately for to long that's how it has been and that is why the tables need to be turned ,

To many people in society have been I am ok jack in the way they look at things , its time for a shake up I am just sorry to say that i to closed my eyes to what has and is going on ,,,,,,

lucgeo

" It does not if the starting point is the colour of one skins not the Experience and qualification"

Add to that...in Wales, the ability to speak Welsh is considered a priority and stated essential for most vacancies in local government, education, social care and numerous roles in the NHS! Despite all their computer systems being in English!!

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

genome

wanted: someone to help local people's issues
requirements: be able to speak local language

how incredibly unreasonable....

lucgeo

Indeed it is....

In rural Welsh areas, understandable, however in areas bordering English counties, or highly populated cities/tourist/seaside resorts, where the population is dense with multicultural resident nationalities, then it becomes discriminatory and elitist!

Care to comment further??... :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

surlaroute

saying "all lives matter" in response to "black lives matter" is like wandering in late to Martin Luther King's "I have a dream…" speech, and shouting from the back, "we've all got dreams, mate…"

Mark calloway

Not really. MLK actually said he longed for a world where a man will be judged on his character and not the colour of his skin. That's lost on the BLM crowd

Shoestring

If people have not learned to see through the veil of division by now they never will.
When you push equality over the edge it starts going backwards!

surlaroute

Quote from: Mark calloway on 16-07-20, 12:34AM
Not really. MLK actually said he longed for a world where a man will be judged on his character and not the colour of his skin. That's lost on the BLM crowd

he also said injustice anywhere is a threat to justice anywhere. https://www.christiancentury.org/blogs/archive/2015-11/when-mlk-responded-all-lives-matter-argument (TL;DR - "To claim equality in light of injustice is to deny the very principle that all lives matter.")

NightAndDay

Most companies these days make the distinction between equality and equity, the distinction being that you'll receive the help you need specific to the challenges you face rather than treating everyone equally.

As for the All Lives Matter vs Black Lives Matter debacle, All Lives Matter is too much of a blunt statement that ignores the socioeconomic inequality that the BAME members face in most parts of the world, blacks occupy the top spot as a group for unemployment, incarceration, etc etc in most "civilised" countrys around the world.

As for affirmative action, while there are laws against positive discrimination in the UK, large companies must ensure a level of diversity in their ranks, there are numerous agencies that create diversity indexes based on assessments of employees.

And yes, in skilled industries qualifications and experience matters, but Retail Management isn't considered a skilled industry, the requirement being basic knowledge of employment laws, good communication skills and a basic level of numeracy. I've seen a lot of racist SMs in my time (one had a poster of A Dictator in the office) racism is definitely rife in the upper echelons of the company.

lackofinterest

the requirement being basic knowledge of employment laws, good communication skills and a basic level of numeracy.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mark calloway

Quote from: NightAndDay on 17-07-20, 12:18PM
Most companies these days make the distinction between equality and equity, the distinction being that you'll receive the help you need specific to the challenges you face rather than treating everyone equally.

As for the All Lives Matter vs Black Lives Matter debacle, All Lives Matter is too much of a blunt statement that ignores the socioeconomic inequality that the BAME members face in most parts of the world, blacks occupy the top spot as a group for unemployment, incarceration, etc etc in most "civilised" countrys around the world.

As for affirmative action, while there are laws against positive discrimination in the UK, large companies must ensure a level of diversity in their ranks, there are numerous agencies that create diversity indexes based on assessments of employees.

And yes, in skilled industries qualifications and experience matters, but Retail Management isn't considered a skilled industry, the requirement being basic knowledge of employment laws, good communication skills and a basic level of numeracy. I've seen a lot of racist SMs in my time (one had a poster of A Dictator in the office) racism is definitely rife in the upper echelons of the company.
it's not race,it's culture.

NightAndDay

Quote from: lackofinterest on 17-07-20, 03:52PM
the requirement being basic knowledge of employment laws, good communication skills and a basic level of numeracy.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It's bad that a lot of SMs don't even fulfil these basic requirements, one couldn't work out 3 x 7 ffs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk