News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:06PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,117
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 290
Total: 294

Pfs restructuring

Started by Penny, 17-06-20, 06:57PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welshie

Problem is if  store staff not fully trained , Pfs staff end up spending their break training them . This has been my experience.  Also i0f not fully trained you cant leave pfs for your break and even if you're in kitchen , have often been called to sort and issue they're not trained on . That could be why they ask for certain people maybe those people actually know what they're doing and pfs staff get their proper break

Misha101

It sounds like you have a very well run store operation with sensible managers, staff and shared values. The sharing of information is paramount in a department such as the pfs and some of our staff are not always as helpful as they could be either, for whatever reason. It would be one heck of a book to have every senario that could happen, so experience is often vital. Processes and routines in the business are becoming a lot simplar now as well. There aren't many departments that cannot be learnt in a few weeks with a good training coach and support. The pfs can take little longer however but you don't need to be trained in there to put out a grocery delivery or count tobacco. It doesn't take long to learn how to confirm a delivery or phone in orders for coal etc.or report pump and airline breakdowns, it is understanding all the alarms that go off and how to resolve them that takes more time, and running a safe and legal forecourt. The right people in the right jobs, with a great manager and a one team mentality across the store and networking with other garages helps tremendously. 

dizzy_1

Our guys have been told kiosk closing for 12 weeks "trial" and they get to work instore, pay at pump only
i dont have an attitude problem you have a perception problem!

Welshie

@Misha , I agree , it's the things that take a lot of time and you might only deal with once every few months if your just covering breaks , ie; drive off or customer  to pay but they're also vital things that have a legal aspect to them .

Redshoes

Quote from: Welshie on 20-02-21, 10:30AM
Problem is if  store staff not fully trained , Pfs staff end up spending their break training them . This has been my experience.  Also i0f not fully trained you cant leave pfs for your break and even if you're in kitchen , have often been called to sort and issue they're not trained on . That could be why they ask for certain people maybe those people actually know what they're doing and pfs staff get their proper break

We have PFS colleagues that go home for breaks but they both don’t go together. We also have colleagues that sit in own car for break. They like to get away and get a bit of time out, nothing wrong in that. We have not moved to new structure yet but by what you have said I assume you have and that this have given you shifts of more than 3.75 hours alone so need fully trained and experienced for break cover. As it stands for us we have a fully trained PFS colleague and can put up a trainee.
We have struggled, covering breaks is not easy. We have things going on in store and we are unable to cover an hours lunch with 10 mins notice. The PFS colleagues are told to contact team support every morning to tell them break needing covered for whole day. Team support are also supposed to visit PFS and check breaks. Even so it goes wrong sometimes.

Welshie

No Redshoes , not new structure , mostly  and very regularly nightshift and also extremely short staffed so frequently working evening shifts on hatch . We've been sent people that don't even have till numbers .

newguy20

We are perhaps fortunate because our PFS is on a busy dual carriageway etc so have been told that no single manning. Night shift now gone but evenings
However, triple manning will be got rid of, this mainly impacts the morning staff. Most mornings there are 3 staff from 7am to 2pm, afternoons and evenings we only have 2 anyway, officially no breaks as 4hr shifts mostly but on the odd 5/6hr shift the break is taken in the kitchen. There is an element of mickey-taking from some people but in all honesty there's little interest from management in the PFS, if they took the time to visit and manage this wouldn't happen.
We do not have any shifts where people move between front end departments to cover breaks except one where a PFS colleague covers lunch break on CSD , but if they are away and somebody else covers they don't do it as not trained.
The frustration with multi skilling etc is that whilst a great idea in theory it requires good management to put into practice, to organise training and crucially to keep the multi skillers up to scratch. We have about 6 multi skillers from various depts into PFS but maybe once a month will one fill a shift, really they should organise to send them over every couple of weeks for a few hours with a PFS colleague going onto tills etc. This way they learn more and become more useful.

Redshoes

Unfortunately we don’t live in an ideal world. Stores can’t spare people for a few hours to train like that. If fully trained colleague is with a trainee that is fine and best way to train.
My store has been very busy with daily increase in sales but as we are in lockdown and people are staying local to shop and some not going to work the fuel sales are down on pre-COVID levels. We were almost at Christmas trade level recently due to bad weather being added to everything else. Sales in PFS are still down though, people are not in work still, we are in lockdown so they are not supposed to be travelling.
We are heading away from double manning the PFS at certain times, we are certainly not drifting towards triple manning. We have full timers in our PFS so they need lunch hour cover. We can’t put in a shift even for this. At the very most you would have two people requiring an hours break and nobody will do a two hour shift so it would have to be minimum of 3.5 hours but we can’t afford 3.5 hours to cover a 2 hour break period but in most cases it would be less than this. We struggle to fill PFS overtime as it is. We can however justify a shift in store when we have a lunch hour at PFS, CSD, team support and then general checkout breaks. It’s all in the planning but someone who wants to go for an hour at 1600 may have to fit in with others and go at 1615 for example.

Nomad

As long as staff worry about and fulfil the company needs, it's convenient when the company doe's not have to concern its self with staff needs.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Welshie

I think at present in many pfs, it's hard to fill the overtime because people know they won't get breaks or any support needed . The worse the lack of support the harder to fill overtime . Management are creating the problem and then moaning about it . We used to have people practically fight over overtime until fewer and fewer breaks covered because store couldnt spare anyone . Now theres times the store are having to cover a full shift  but it's a problem of their own making .
I would love to work in your store/area redshoes , everyone must be so law abiding and stick to rules rigidly,  we're as busy as ever all day and I would say when it comes to milk , meal deals etc we're busier .

BUY TESLA STOCK

We will see what sales are like when petrol cars are a thing of the past, more discounters have opened and people are going back to pubs and restaurants. Already T have lost the Arcadia group as tenant.

Welshie

It doesn't seem that long from the 10yr old car scrappage scheme  , now they're saying  in 10 yrs we'll only have electric cars . I just dont see it happening  , as redshoes posted earlier  , if you don't have a driveway you cant be guaranteed you can charge your car . So to achieve this you would also need a huge housing project to enable households to have electric cars and as during a pandemic we housed the UK homeless in hotels , I cant see that happening.  Unless the government are prepared to say only the prosperous are allowed cars , there is no way that the UK will reach its target for electric cars .

King1999

Basically denying everyone's freedom to travel where they want.Totally agree,this isn't a luxury for the rich it's for everyone.It's not realistic.

Redshoes

I agree that this will hit poorer families harder. There are a lot of terrace houses without driveways and unless everybody is given dedicated parking it won’t work. I suppose they could come up with a battery you could take into the house to charge, but then if you can’t get parking near your house this would have to be carried, along with the milk etc.

biggguy

Petrol and diesel cars will still be on the road , the 2030 target is mainly for the manufacturing of Internal combustion engines , so pfs will be around for a while yet

londoner83

In 2030 you won't be able to buy new petrol/diesel cars but all the vehicles already bought will still be on the roads. It will probably take another 10-15 years until all those are taken off the road as parts become obsolete and petrol stations become fewer and fewer.

Having said that would love to know how residents of flats especially high rise get to charge their electric cars or owners of terraced homes with multiple cars......

gomezz

I have always thought the next car I buy will be my last.  But the more I learn about new cars the more I am inclined to keep my already twenty year old Civic on the road until the time comes for me to chop it in for a bus pass and taxi account - say another 15 or 20 years.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

forrestgimp

Quote from: King1999 on 22-02-21, 05:16PM
Basically denying everyone's freedom to travel where they want.Totally agree,this isn't a luxury for the rich it's for everyone.It's not realistic.

They are doing no such thing, First car ownership is not a necessity its a luxury which a lot of people do not have. Live anywhere except the extreme sticks and public transport is good enough and if the need is there will get better, in citys there is currently no need to own a car at all.

As for nowhere to park and charge up your car, when did it become the governments resposibility to provide you with either? If you want a car make sure you have provisions to park it and fuel it.

You can currently go anywhere in the world using public transport so how exactly would they be denying your ability to travel?

Misha101

Slightly off topic now I know. Although it's still relevant..In my mind I was thinking that it will be like self service tills. They will start with a couple on the forecourt, then half and half, then eventually all of our   forecourts will just be charging points and services like air and water. Having looked at a website that says we are partnering with Volkswagen to roll them out. It looks like they will be going in the carparks. There are so many on the list from last year. Doesn't anyone on here have even one charging point? I know we haven't, but as I said the list is quite extensive.

forrestgimp

You have probably hit the nail on the head.

newguy20

Quote from: Redshoes on 21-02-21, 04:26AM
Unfortunately we don’t live in an ideal world. Stores can’t spare people for a few hours to train like that. If fully trained colleague is with a trainee that is fine and best way to train.

I agree in that the company chooses to not employ sufficient staff for a training 'float'... but within the constraints they could surely say "Right, Alice from checkouts, you're PFS trained but haven't been down there in a couple of months, so tomorrow I'm sending you there for 4 hours, you'll be working with Bill who's fully trained over there, meanwhile Carol who normally works there will do 4 hours on the checkouts instead". To avoid multi skillers losing their knowledge.

QuoteWe are heading away from double manning the PFS at certain times, we are certainly not drifting towards triple manning. We have full timers in our PFS so they need lunch hour cover. We can’t put in a shift even for this. At the very most you would have two people requiring an hours break and nobody will do a two hour shift so it would have to be minimum of 3.5 hours but we can’t afford 3.5 hours to cover a 2 hour break period but in most cases it would be less than this. We struggle to fill PFS overtime as it is. We can however justify a shift in store when we have a lunch hour at PFS, CSD, team support and then general checkout breaks. It’s all in the planning but someone who wants to go for an hour at 1600 may have to fit in with others and go at 1615 for example.

I agree it presumably depends on the size of the store, ours is large enough that departments can cover their own breaks, and there's a big silo mentality here amongst many of the staff. I also agree on break times, for example there are two staff on CSD who insist on going on their break at 1pm sharp and refuse to budge... which is fine and dandy as they usually work different days... until they work the same days and the manager ends up covering for an hour! they are old school and untouchable.

NightAndDay

Tesco needs to have training recorded for due dilligence purposes, without record of completed training from employees, the actions managers can take to improve productivity and performances of colleagues is reduced by legal barriers, specifically that an employee can't be disciplined for failing to do something they haven't been trained on.

Silo mentality or "knowledge hoarding" is a sign of a bad culture within the store which stems from weak management, you need adequate managers to change the culture to abide to Tescos core values, one of them being to share knowledge.

forrestgimp

Yes but knowledge is power its always been like that in Tesco from the top down.

If person B knows as much as person A then why do we neen person A at all.

NightAndDay

It's never been about operational knowledge at Tesco, just who you know, knowledge and competency alone will only get you as far as a shift leader. You have to be friends with the right people to get any further.

Which we can also clearly see by the abundance of SMs that don't know policy or process.

forrestgimp

This in spades. We have all seen the SMs kids get full time jobs when non exist, family members parachuted into jobs that were not available yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk