News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:03AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 170
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 134
Total: 137

Pfs restructuring

Started by Penny, 17-06-20, 06:57PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucgeo

You inform the duty manager, preferably at the beginning your shift, or at least an hour before your intended break time, that you will be requiring cover for your break and give the time you intend to start it and for the length of duration. Ten minutes before your break, ring the duty phone and advise that your break will be commencing in ten minutes, and a no show of cover, will result in you closing the hatch, switching everything off and placing a greivance.
Can't see the store's night team foregoing their break, any more than you should be denied yours.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

newguy20

Anyone else heard news about PFS restructuring happening soon... have heard that from Feb they are going down to one member of staff at a time, converting half the pumps to pay at pump only so they can be remotely monitored by cameras, rostering a second member of staff for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours in the late afternoon to re-stock and complete routines.

Sounds a bit unrealistic as there will be issues that need attention throughout the day, drive off / ctp which take up time and need recording, customers needing help with the pumps, spillages etc... I know the answer will be "phone the main store" but you may as well speak to the store cat you'll get a more helpful response.

taliahad

Newguy, where did you hear this?  I work in the PFS and I have heard nothing.  Do you have any more details?

Morris999

All stores were briefed back around July this would be happening.
Only thing they were not told was when each individual store would go this way, however we were told it would all be complete in 12 months.
Looks like your store has finally been given its date.

There is a thread on here somewhere about this.

taliahad

No one in my store knows about this but then we always say that we are like mushrooms.  This makes sense though as I have dropped a shift and no one is replacing me but we should have been told because this affects us.  I can't see it working, although we have been quiet since covid, we were previously so busy, we couldn't cope and we have patches now where we are manic and it's too much for one person to cope with.  I can't see it being possible to watch the pumps properly, serve customers, deal with issues etc.  It's not going to work, it's going to be very, very stressful for that one staff member and the potential for trouble is immense. 

VladPutin

Agreed. Unfortunately, head office doesn't give a toss about staff being overworked and stressed out, or the impact it will have on customers. All that matters is they can justify their jobs by, "saving" money.

taliahad

So what happens when the one staff member needs to go to the toilet, fill for a customer, assist a customer, clean up a spill, deal with a non payment, a massive queue builds up, someone gets stuck in the car wash, a delivery arrives or the card reader breaks down and you phone duty and they do what they nearly always do, which is ignore you?  They must be out of their minds, it's not safe to operate with just one person. 

Whoever thought this up obviously has no experience of working in the PFS, every day we have a new and mostly nasty surprise to deal with.  I trust the doors will be locked and we will be serving through the hatch. Do they realize how long it can take to pick out someone's meal deal for them?  Kiosk sales will fall right down and all this to save a few quid, meanwhile the second staff member will be sat over the store on a till, bored out of their skull.  Complete bunch of idiots. 

newguy20

We have a few staff who have left or dropped shifts or who are leaving, and have not been replaced. Where essential they have been covered by overtime.

We were all aware changes on the horizon, have not been given concrete details yet but that is what's being hinted at. As above there are many issues caused by single manning that don't seem to have been considered. Well they will just say 'call duty' and if you are lucky you'll get somebody turn up 10 minutes later who probably isn't PFS trained anyway?

There are some aspects of our current rotas that could be trimmed, particularly in the mornings when they have 4 staff on duty for a couple of hours... Even if they went down to 2 at all times and had the odd hours overlap for transfers they would still save quite a bit. Depending on how things go some people may transfer to the main store, or new staff will have hours cut.

Redshoes

Changes are store specific and single man hours will depend on trade and routines. From what has been said on here the stores get very little notice of when this launches in the individual stores/sites.

newguy20

This is perhaps a more rational view and it may be (judging by the lack of news from the PFS manager) that they too have heard rumours or the 'grand plan' and we are yet to receive our allocation so it may be less bad than anticipated.

But it does show how the lack of communication and information simply spreads concern/fear/gossip amongst staff.

Cbatt566

Our store has been told we are getting a security screen installed at the kiosk and hours will be worked around the PFS but assured of no redundancies just colleagues to move to other areas as per customer needs etc

Welshie

What's the security screen ?  What hours is your pfs open at the minute ?

Siwel123

The security screen in our PFS means there's the lockable door between staff areas and the shopfloor and a proper glass screen where the tills are, with only a small slot underneath to scan products

Misha101

It's so that when you go to single manning, the colleague is as safe as they can be. They are not to go out from behind there when they are on their own.

Welshie

Oh ok , thanks . What's your current opening hours ? Are you currently 24hrs manned ? Close at night or pay at pump only at night ?

Misha101

Our opening hours are 0600 to 2200. Pay at pump pumps on through the night (all other pumps are disabled and the kiosk is closed.)as long as the customer emergency cabinet is working and there is clear visibility from the cctv used to monitor any emergencies off site. If it gets foggy through the night for instance, the alarm receiving centre will phone the duty manager on the large chubb phone to let them know to either close the garage altogether or to fully man and open the kiosk. I hope this helps.

Pfs girlie

We are exactly the same except open 06.00/ 21.00

Welshie

We are open and manned 24hr so I suppose our night hatch would be similar to your security screen except customers outside and we get the products from kiosk for them . We also don't have a customer emergency cabinet as we are never pay at pump only . Due to our location I dont think we would ever get an unmanned license so I think it would either be stay as we are or close at night .
Thanks Misha101

owlnight

Quote from: Cbatt566 on 24-01-21, 03:04AM
Our store has been told we are getting a security screen installed at the kiosk and hours will be worked around the PFS but assured of no redundancies just colleagues to move to other areas as per customer needs etc
hi
how do you mean colleagues moved to other areas? are you referring to single manned? are you an extra store or superstore?

Cbatt566

Yes single manned. We are a Extra store.

[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]

newguy20

Quote from: Misha101 on 24-01-21, 06:02PM
Our opening hours are 0600 to 2200. Pay at pump pumps on through the night (all other pumps are disabled and the kiosk is closed.)as long as the customer emergency cabinet is working and there is clear visibility from the cctv used to monitor any emergencies off site. If it gets foggy through the night for instance, the alarm receiving centre will phone the duty manager on the large chubb phone to let them know to either close the garage altogether or to fully man and open the kiosk. I hope this helps.

I would love to see their proposal for what the remote monitoring people will do when duty doesn't answer the phone and they need to close the forecourt... getting hold of duty on the phone is like gold dust.

Misha101

It seems to have worked for us so far.  The pfs also has a chubb phone that the alarm receiving centre ring first to give us the information before they ring the store chubb phone.  Even though all the training information says 'competant person'  we haven't ever used those words to them, we have always said duty manager and it always has been the duty.

Misha101

Just to add on top of that. The two way or headset. Befor the middle person leaves we ring duty to let them know we are bringing the two way over can you meet us at the desk. I have always made sure I physically hand it to them. As I expected a couple of times one manager has said to leave it at the desk and they will collect it. I gently remind them that isn't the process and don't forget they are on their own over there now admit it's not a perfect situation especially if noone answers. Just because nothing serious hasn't happened upto now doesn't mean it won't. You would want to do your best on your watch. 

Cbatt566

In our PFS currently. When someone finishes nights the day staff come in at 6am usually two of them, one to serve and one to do papers, readings etc. I think they will rattle this down to just 1 in the AM to take nights off and until all the stuff on the forecourt is done they surely can’t expect that colleague  to open the shop with just one man and do all those jobs... we are busy PFS and have a lot of fuel cars users!

Misha101

Our morning or day shifts have not been impacted at all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk