News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 11:48PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,370
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 556
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 446
Total: 447

Pfs restructuring

Started by Penny, 17-06-20, 06:57PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BUY TESLA STOCK

Who needs the pfs when we have electricity.

Redshoes

Restructure goes on trade and routines. No two stores the same.

matt62775

pfs manager in my store left last year and hasn't been replaced so both the services and part time checkout manager are badly covering as pfs manager. We've also had a few leavers and their hours haven't been covered. Overtime is also non-existent so we have to cover all gaps with checkout staff, which is usually most of the day. store manager has even said to single man it if we can't get the cover/its too busy instore, despite comms currently saying 2 colleagues and all pumps open at all times. I feel change is definitely on the horizon

NightAndDay

Single manning PFS will be subject to additional H&S requirements, definitely cowboy management activities going on there.

Himynameus

PFS trial Happen from 1st March till 31st May at 6 sites closing the kiosk completely and being pay at pump only

Pfs girlie

As in closing kiosks during the day also ?

Himynameus

Yes sorry if I didn’t make it clear

anais

Every store has different structure, kiosk still open in certain stores and will have 2 people on . One manned only when not busy

Misha101

If Tesco make these decisions I doubt there is anything we can do about it. I don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs and be patronising. I would encourage everyone who works in  pfs  to keep your shelves as fully stocked as you can at all times. Do as much as you possibly can do to maximize sales. I realise that I may sound niave, and yes the future of cars is electric so yeah thanks for pointing that out.
That is all we can do. Money talks we are fighting for our future jobs. If there is anything we can do to make them think twice about closing your kiosk then we should try our best to do it.

londoner83

If you look at the way society is going (cashless and electric cars) you will see manned petrol stations will no longer be needed in the near future. Additionally look at any fuel companies competitor petrol stations and you will see these are largely single manned a lot of the time. A lot of Europe has unmanned fuel sites without any issues.

Tesco is just adapting to changing trends by restructuring. Yes any change is a challenge to those involved however if the business doesn't adapt to change it could lead to its downfall like Woolworths, Debenhams, Top Shop etc.

I fully suspect within 5-10 years manned checkouts will also become rare.

Redshoes

The PFS kiosk is not just about fuel sales. That does play a part but most people who visit the kiosk buy something else, it could be a Costa, cigarettes, a meal deal etc. Maintaining a good kiosk as Misha101 says is key. It comes down to money. If paying for two colleagues costs more than the money going in the till it’s a supported service.
Then there are the fuel cards. At the moment these cards need to go through a till. It used to be that they all had to be signed for. This has drifted to more pin cards. If pin enabled why can’t they pay at pump. Thie fuel cards also apply to the stores with dot.com. A single fuel card pay for all vans. They fill up at the end of shift so does that require the sites with dot.com to have the kiosk open later. 
Some sites also save fuel for emergency services. This means that when fuel runs low they shut off pumps earlier but can still allow emergency services to get fuel. This requires kiosk to be open or agreement changed, or amended to trade hours.
The future with electric cars is problematic but it is being talked of. There are a lot of people who don’t have a drive, let along a garage. If you don’t have a drive you can’t charge an electric car from home. If you don’t have a drive you can’t even be guaranteed a parking place outside your own house. I had a phone call from someone once trying to get me to move to an electric car. I said it was not practical as unabl3 to charge at work or home. They said “from your postcode I can see that there is a charging station 1 mile from where you live”. I was lost for words. They seemed to think it was acceptable that I walk a mile to fetch my car at the beginning and end of every day. My house is 115 years old, the area I live in was not built to support every house owning a single car, let alone multiple car households. The solution for streets like mine will not be easily resolved.

CeJay89

I realise that the single manning model will be different for every PFS out there, but can anyone already single manning give an example of what times you single man?  How is it working in general? And what happens on delivery days? Booker give us an 8 hour window, sandwiches never arrive at the same time either.

Our screens have gone in this week, there is a lot of speculation amongst staff, we have no facts whatsoever and the rumour mill is driving me insane!!

anais

Single manning will only be when it’s not busy ie early mornings and maybe late evenings . You will have 2 staff on each shift and extra staff on delivery days . Night staff will be no more .

Penny

We have to be single manned full shift to call over for help when delivery comes! Never going to work !

anais

Penny , has the change already happened  in your store ?

Welshie

Quote from: anais on 17-02-21, 08:43PM
Single manning will only be when it’s not busy ie early mornings and maybe late evenings . You will have 2 staff on each shift and extra staff on delivery days . Night staff will be no more .

So is it closed at night ? Pay at pump only ?
Was your pfs open nights to begin with or just manned when the new laws came in about pay at pump about 18 months ago ? It's a bit of a sweeping statement to say nightshift will be no more without backing it up.
Pay at pump only is a separate fuel license, can all pfs get these licenses  ?

anais

The store I work in has got rid of night shifts and close at midnight. Always 2 people on each shifts and another extra one when it’s a delivery day . Everything seems to be going ok. Don’t think they will ever open overnight, all about cost cutting

Penny

Ours is starting in April.  We close at 8 and all pumps will be locked. No nightshift

Welshie

Quote from: anais on 18-02-21, 01:23PM
The store I work in has got rid of night shifts and close at midnight. Always 2 people on each shifts and another extra one when it’s a delivery day . Everything seems to be going ok. Don’t think they will ever open overnight, all about cost cutting

If always 2 on each shift , did you still get security screens in ?

anais

Security screens are already up and we have to wear headsets when we are one manned

HildaHills

Our Pfs has totally gone to pot! I've worked in it for over 20 years and I have to say these past few months have been the worst! No care given to us over covid, we are told to stick to the rules and only allowed 1 till open but all pumps still available causing a queue, only 2 customers allowed in at one time, try spending your entire shift trying to get the general public to count to 2!! Absolutely no support from the store at all, no breaks covered no extra person to do stock deliveries or to pick from store, noone answers the phone or comes to check on us yet the deputy manager comes over and has a go because we have had complaints and the store looks bare! No covid cleaning trolly allowed now just a bottle of sanitiser, anyone not wearing a mask we can challenge but absolutely no back up if they kick off so we have to give up or stand up for ourselves with only 2 staff whilst trying to serve and do everything else. It's a total s*** show, I for one would happily take redundancy as this job isn't what it used to be, more and more pressure and less and less support. They really don't care about our staff or our side of the business until someone complains to head office, the whole management are useless! We have a deputy store manager that overrode the traffic light system 3 times on nye just to get the tills ringing
! How noone working there didn't shop him ill never know but that's going beyond reckless

NightAndDay

I would suggest to all who aren't getting breaks covered to raise a grievance to the SM (or PFS manager) for violations to the working time directive, if you're not able to take your break, then that is illegal, you should also get back pay as a result of this as well as the breaks are automatically deducted from your hours worked, so in essence you would be working a certain amount of time every day unpaid which might also result in you being paid less than the NMW.

Welshie

Quote from: anais on 18-02-21, 01:23PM

Quote from: anais on 19-02-21, 02:00PM
Security screens are already up and we have to wear headsets when we are one manned

I'm sorry but I dont get the contradiction  ? We are always 2 manned with an extra for deliveries BUT  you wear a headset if single manned ?

Redshoes

Quote from: HildaHills on 19-02-21, 03:00PM
Our Pfs has totally gone to pot! I've worked in it for over 20 years and I have to say these past few months have been the worst! No care given to us over covid, we are told to stick to the rules and only allowed 1 till open but all pumps still available causing a queue, only 2 customers allowed in at one time, try spending your entire shift trying to get the general public to count to 2!! Absolutely no support from the store at all, no breaks covered no extra person to do stock deliveries or to pick from store, noone answers the phone or comes to check on us yet the deputy manager comes over and has a go because we have had complaints and the store looks bare! No covid cleaning trolly allowed now just a bottle of sanitiser, anyone not wearing a mask we can challenge but absolutely no back up if they kick off so we have to give up or stand up for ourselves with only 2 staff whilst trying to serve and do everything else. It's a total s*** show, I for one would happily take redundancy as this job isn't what it used to be, more and more pressure and less and less support. They really don't care about our staff or our side of the business until someone complains to head office, the whole management are useless! We have a deputy store manager that overrode the traffic light system 3 times on nye just to get the tills ringing
! How noone working there didn't shop him ill never know but that's going beyond reckless

We are not supposed to challenge anyone over masks, it’s a polite friendly conversation as you won’t know any hidden reason people are not wearing masks.
My understanding, and I may be wrong, is that four pumps for single manned and rest go to pay at pump. I’m happy to be corrected on this but if others are remote monitored and pay at pump you do still to monitor but are only arming four.
Stores are finding own ways to do shopping. Our team support start at 6am and the store opens at 7am. They do change run and then do shopping list from PFS and delivered. In time the team support are going to be trained on confirming transfers to PFS but at the moment this is picked up by stock control. 
Breaks are covered by store, PFS colleagues may not be able to go at times they have done before as they now fit in with the whole front end rota that includes CSD, self service, main bank and team support. Our cash office colleagues are trained for checkouts, PFS, CSD and checkouts. Our CSD colleagues all trained for PFS and checkouts. Not so many checkouts colleagues train for CSD and PFS. A local store to me uses trolley colleagues for PFS, that will depend on training capabilities.
Extra shifts have been put in for break cover. The person doing that shift may not be trained in all areas but they can relive someone who is in.
PFS deliveries are a different issue. There is a much bigger time window when they arrive. Much harder for the store to send someone down at short notice. The ideal is dual manned for deliveries but with such a big window this may not always happen. The solution must be to either narrow down delivery times or to train up more people. Sometimes the only trained colleagues is on CSD for example and unable to go up as nobody to take relive at CSD.
Our PFS don’t like colleagues are really nice people but they are not good at sharing info. Relief colleagues have been told they are of no use as not fully trained but have been sent up for training and experience. We have moved forward from this a bit now but our PFS colleagues now feel too many people coming up from store and are asking for certain people. This is not always possible.

Nomad

That says it all, some stores are sh*t others(i.e. Redshoe's) are the best thing since sliced bread  :o  :D

Pity MM can't get them all the same  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk