News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:23AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 285
Total: 289

bereavement

Started by poppy1, 07-11-15, 10:31AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King1999

I would go off with stress the company doesn’t give a dam anymore.Look after yourself.

Cinderella

I lost a relative just yesterday, and now being told they may not be considered a ‘close relative’, despite the fact I’ve been this person’s carer for years.

oldfashionedplayer

It's shouldn't really be challenged but (from experience in our store) a lot of Asian workers go off with 3 to 4 different elderly relatives / cousins etc, same for friends and such, just explain that it's a relative of yours who's dear to you and to put it down for bereavement, if they don't then you can always challenge it, so don't back down on it, everyone has their interpretation and some are closer to some than others. You've always go equality to fall back on too if anyone else has had any "non" relatives pass and such as you should be also entitled to it.

QuoteUnder normal circumstances we would class immediate family as spouses, partners, parents, in-laws, siblings, children and grandparents, but we understand that not everyone has the same family situation, and therefore bereavement leave will be assessed on a case by case basis depending on your individual circumstances. 

NightAndDay

I think I heard there was new legislation being planned to be passed through regarding bereavement leave, at the moment, it's a bit lacking though.

Cinderella

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 19-06-20, 03:32AM
It's shouldn't really be challenged but (from experience in our store) a lot of Asian workers go off with 3 to 4 different elderly relatives / cousins etc, same for friends and such, just explain that it's a relative of yours who's dear to you and to put it down for bereavement, if they don't then you can always challenge it, so don't back down on it, everyone has their interpretation and some are closer to some than others. You've always go equality to fall back on too if anyone else has had any "non" relatives pass and such as you should be also entitled to it.

QuoteUnder normal circumstances we would class immediate family as spouses, partners, parents, in-laws, siblings, children and grandparents, but we understand that not everyone has the same family situation, and therefore bereavement leave will be assessed on a case by case basis depending on your individual circumstances. 

Thank you, I was hoping it would be a case by case basis, and not just a case of where someone sits on your family tree! I have a very small family, only six of us left now that we’ve lost a family member this week, so this death has left a gaping hole, especially as some of us were his carers.  I will give my manager a call later and see what information I can get.

Cinderella

I was lead to believe I had been issued compassionate leave for the days I took off in bereavement. I took off one week - three days when we found out the relative was near the end and then passed, and two days around the funeral. I’ve just checked my payslip and discovered all of it was coded as holiday, which I am very unhappy with, was not informed of, and did obviously did not agree with

Nomad

"Led to believe" was this in writing or verbal and was/was not witnessed by anybody.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Welshie

Quote from: Cinderella on 23-07-20, 08:44PM
I was lead to believe I had been issued compassionate leave for the days I took off in bereavement. I took off one week - three days when we found out the relative was near the end and then passed, and two days around the funeral. I’ve just checked my payslip and discovered all of it was coded as holiday, which I am very unhappy with, was not informed of, and did obviously did not agree with

In my experience a few years ago with my grandmother dying , any time taken when the person is ill/dying is hol/unpaid but time taken after someone close has died is bereavement  the amount of paid bereavement depends on how close a relative and your manager.

lucgeo

Quote from: Cinderella on 23-07-20, 08:44PM

How many days do you work??
Was it a close relative that passed, or a friend?
The usual practice around bereavement, is a week off....pro rata.

If it was a close family member, then it's been coded as holiday in error? Speak to your manager.
If not, then compassionate leave is unpaid, holiday or work time back.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Cinderella

Yes, I come from an extremely small family (only six of us left) so we are all close. I was a carer for this particular relative, so it should be obvious to them that we were very close! I work five days a week, which is why I believed I had five days compassionate leave. I wouldn’t have minded them being unpaid, but I don’t appreciate holidays being used without my knowledge. I’ve been advised to submit a pay query form for it

lucgeo

Were you a recognised carer for your relative?

Close relatives, that warrant paid bereavement leave are categorised in being, grandparents, parents,spouse, children and in law/ common law relatives. These should all be listed under the online policies for people bereavement leave. ( I don't have access to these policies anymore ) others or extended paid leave are at the discretion of the PP.

If your deceased relative wasn't under the recognised family bereavement leave category, but you have it noted in your file, that you were their recognised carer, then paid leave should be given.

My sincere condolences for your loss.

Cinderella

Aunts and uncles should really be included in that list! My manager is aware I was one of the carers, as I couldn’t have shifts moved to certain days because of it. Pretty sure nothing was ever noted on my file though, as I found out recently my own health condition hasn’t been recorded, despite being declared at the beginning of my employment. They don’t keep records updated at all

Redshoes

Families and bereavement is not set in stone. You can have a sister you have not seen for 20 years but a cousin you meet weekly. It should be case by case and your situation sounds like it has been coded wrong. A mistake at a time that you don't need a mistake.

lucgeo

Quote from: Cinderella on 24-07-20, 11:52PM
Aunts and uncles should really be included in that list! My manager is aware I was one of the carers, as I couldn’t have shifts moved to certain days because of it. Pretty sure nothing was ever noted on my file though, as I found out recently my own health condition hasn’t been recorded, despite being declared at the beginning of my employment. They don’t keep records updated at all

Then the fact that your manager knew you were a carer, and didn't move your shifts, would be a recognition.

I really think it's a case, that when the exceptions were done, your manager wasn't present, and another has instructed the coding, not knowing the full facts. However you should have been given the choice beforehand, how you wanted to take the leave ( unpaid, holiday, shift swap, time back etc...)

Cinderella

I’m going to submit a pay query, with some details of how close the connection on the form. As we are such a small family, we are all close and in regular contact. There is not a day I don’t hear from them all!

Thank you for the support. This exact situation happened when I had a parent pass away also. I’m starting to wonder whether they code it as holiday, in the hopes you won’t care during a difficult time and will just let it go!

Redshoes

I understand why you think that but it sounds like a mistake. A mistake at a time when it is a bad time to have to deal with it. Some people find it hard to admit they have made a mistake but it happens to all of us. It can be rectified though.

Cinderella

Well, Tesco are refusing to budge on this. It’s lovely when the company you work for decides how close you are to your own family! I didn’t even get the option of any of it being unpaid, and I need those holidays for other things I need to take care of.

Most of my immediate family are already gone, I only have two people remaining that Tesco class as close family. So I guess I better start distancing from everyone else now, for fear of not being allowed leave should anything happen to them!

Tesco have been messing me around my entire employment. Pretty sick of it now.

Cbatt566

Hello, I am in a situation at the moment where my Dad is extremely poorly due to cancer. It is a palliative situation and I've been told it's weeks rather than months. I work for Tesco part time alongside my other full time role. I need to take time off on compassionate grounds but with the new holiday period coming up I really don't want to use my holidays. What are my options?

matt62775

hi cbatt, sorry to hear. you can take compassionate leave for 4-8wks or a lifestyle break upto 1 year if you needed longer off, however both would be unpaid, unless you used holiday. or else see your manager if they're any good they may offer you some alternatives. hope this helps

Cbatt566

Doesn't help at all. From al the posts I've seen on here Tesco really couldn't give a monkeys. I could loose a whole months wage from this!

wizard

Depending on how much sickness you got , you could get a sick note from the doctor and be paid some at least .

forrestgimp

I've seen people who were off for weeks for a bereavement others who came back in a few days.

It depends on where in the hierarchy you are,  a CA wont get much sympathy be a senior manager and we are all expected to go into mourning for a few years.

expressman77

Bereavement is usaly between 3 to 5 days and anymore usaly go through as holiday.
All these comments about Tesco not caring or getting it wrong,
It's not Tesco it's the managers putting in the information people seem to forget that

Cbatt566

I've just got 2 weeks holiday and a couple of weeks paid compassionate leave granted

Welshie

That's good you got sorted . It must be a horrible time and work is the last thing you need to be worrying about .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk