News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:17PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 291
Total: 292

New Union

Started by tempworker2020, 05-07-20, 04:12AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tempworker2020

We all know USDAW is a useless union within Tesco as they are part of the management establishment but why isn't there a movement in Tesco to promote alternative unions like GMB or Unite.

A union that will fight for us employees rather than promise the world and delivers us nothing.

penguin

My understanding of the situation and I could be wrong is that when it comes to store staff Tesco will only recognise USDAW as a union and therefore only enter into pay, conditions or other negotiations with USDAW, you are of course free to join any other union but the reps and staff from it would have no rights other than to rep you in a meeting i.e investigation or disciplinary matters.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

lackofinterest

Quote from: wizard on 08-03-21, 01:56PM
Colleague 3000000 , with Usdaw you can't strike it was written out the agreement years ago , no one would walk out on strike , people are to worried for there jobs
we should all stick together!!!! but can't see that happening as you say

sam

:thumbup:
Quote from: NightAndDay on 08-03-21, 02:14PM
Quote from: Colleague 3000000 on 08-03-21, 11:02AM
We must seriously start balloting for strike action.

Instead of writing essays on here.

Do not cross the picket lines.

First step would be to get rid of USDAW as the recognised union and get the ball rolling for another union to be recognised by Tesco, this would cancel the partnership agreement and then would be able to hamstring Tesco with Strike action.

penguin

Can't see Tesco agreeing to accept another union when they ha e such a cosy relationship with USDAW, not really sure what if anything can be done other than maybe huge numbers quitting the union and making clear it's in protest over the partnership deal.

Colleague 3000000

We are just robots.

Now it's time to say that these robots are human. We have feelings, we have rights and we have dignity.

It's time to strike for the sake of our humanity.

We are not robots. Showing that we actually do think and feel will make a difference.
Even just the threat of strike action will make them realise this.

dotnochance

could you give it a rest

penguin

Tesco retail  staff cannot strike the partnership says so and said partnership forms part of your terms of employment, I don't like it any more than you I was totally screwed over in a previous restructuring as many will now be during this one but the hard fact is no strike is allowed, and for anyone thinking let's just do it anyway you will be opening yourself up for gross misconduct for breaching your contract.

Nomad

Quote from: Colleague 3000000 on 09-03-21, 11:46AM

We are not robots. Showing that we actually do think and feel will make a difference.

Yea right, you think  :D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Welshie

Quote from: Colleague 3000000 on 09-03-21, 11:46AM
We are just robots.

Now it's time to say that these robots are human. We have feelings, we have rights and we have dignity.

It's time to strike for the sake of our humanity.

Even just the threat of strike action will make them realise this.

I can only assume that you're affected by this ?? Where was your call for strike action when nightshift were chopped, team leaders , personel managers, bakers  , I could go on . You were more than likely not giving a sh#t and now it's you you're up in arms , calling for strike action on every single post . It's boring now to be honest

Twinkeltoes1

I do so wish Colleague 3000 would give it a rest, every post is striking, it is never going to happen, EVER. You have made yr point, move on.

horatiocain

Firstly USDAW is not a no strike union, no Union in the TUC is allowed to be, and the problem is getting enough people to actually strike to make it effective, which is almost zero.

You're free to join a different union, I'd suggest the GMB, and they can rep you in all hearings, and from experience as a rep they're considerably better because it's their job, unlike the nodding heads who make up 90% of USDAW reps in Tesco.

The union is weak because its become about the employees of the union instead of the members, its a sad state of affairs.

jm876546886

Quote from: lackofinterest on 08-03-21, 08:04PM
Quote from: wizard on 08-03-21, 01:56PM
Colleague 3000000 , with Usdaw you can't strike it was written out the agreement years ago , no one would walk out on strike , people are to worried for there jobs
we should all stick together!!!! but can't see that happening as you say

It was never written out of the agreement at all , strike action is a last resort and has alot of organisation to be done legally you also have to remember tesco staff only earn a little bit more than minimum wage and if strike action was balloted and successful all usdaw members would need to go on strike and you don't get paid. 

Nomad

Not all strikes are about wages.  There are many other issues which could and should be better supported by union.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

person7

Quote from: tempworker2020 on 05-07-20, 04:12AM
We all know USDAW is a useless union within Tesco as they are part of the management establishment but why isn't there a movement in Tesco to promote alternative unions like GMB or Unite.

A union that will fight for us employees rather than promise the world and delivers us nothing.

still waiting for that promise from 2 years ago for minimum of £10  an hour - now minimum will change to £9.50 its no wonder 57% of staff at my store are NOT happy working there (according to the survey) and why we already lost 4 staff in the past money quitting... and most of checkout staff are all stating they are thinking of quitting by april... meanwhile police had to be called in today due to the mass abuse some customers...

one my colleauges who left is getting paid £10.20 an hour now... for sitting around with no interaction with any customers - and yet us lot on the shop floor doing more work due to left staff and no new hires, soon from april 2022 to be 5p over minimum wage?

WHY is the union NOT doing more for us? yet taking our money?

Modena

Can I ask we were told that we should have a say on pay rises and paperwork went out for all members to see and discuss, we at our store have never had anything so I asked the rep who said they would have been sent to the store and haven't been passed on, is that correct and if so what can we do ?

Hammer10

Leave USDAw. and join another union the more who leave USDAw then they will have to do something .

NightAndDay

Everyone should leave USDAW (if they're employed by Tesco). The fact that shop floor workers can't strike due to the partnership agreement and the mickey mouse pay review negotiations speaks volumes. By remaining members and paying them, this debacle will only continue.

Totot

I never join  union, for me, just a waste of money, better lose that money investing in something else.
What I want to know now is what they gonna do in april  when national living wage rise to 9.50.
How tesco deduct our pension, let say for people who opt minimum contribution.

My pension already in and out smart contract because of that. And I am sure, most ca will be out of smart pension if there is no increase before april.
I do not know about all the legality, but when you are out of smart pension, your whole income will be deducted by tax and nin, and then deducted for pension. That mean that pension already been taxed and later on in the future it will be taxed again when we claim. My understanding is pension contribution should be free from tax so later on we dont get double tax, tax when contributing and tax when claiming. For me it is not right.

I might be wrong though.

Redshoes

My understanding is that you will hardly notice paying extra into your pension as the payment is taken before tax. There is a pension line you can ring and talk things through with.

Redshoes

Quote from: Modena on 03-11-21, 08:59AM
Can I ask we were told that we should have a say on pay rises and paperwork went out for all members to see and discuss, we at our store have never had anything so I asked the rep who said they would have been sent to the store and haven't been passed on, is that correct and if so what can we do ?

We never voted on the pay rise in stores. We do have representatives that vote on our behalf.
I know the union is not popular and I have had times being a member but I have times that I have not too. I have re-joined twice. On one hand I see why people don't want to pay the fees, I have felt like that myself, but the unions have more power with higher membership. A lot of stores sit at 40%, or they did last thing I knew.

lucgeo

The basic principles of USDAW are still there but is very watered down, to the principles it was primarily set up for.
It's not only the members who have lost faith over the years, the reps become seriously disillusioned and leave, due to the lack of support from their area officers.

As a rep myself for many years, the main objective from the area became recruit, recruit, recruit!! Every 3 monthly meeting attended by the area rep, began with asking for the mapping of the store, % of members for the store, amount of new recruits and by whom recruited?

They don't push the benefits of being a member enough...free legal protection for car insurance, free initial legal advice with local solicitor, maternity grants, long sickness absence payment, repayment of subs to women on maternity leave, funeral grants etc..

I stepped down, as I felt the support given to reps was severely inadequate. Stores are mostly 24/7 now, but area offices and area reps are only available 9-5 Monday to Friday ???

It became a clique, friends of friend's names put forward for development. All expenses paid AGM's attended by the same old, same old...and I won't go into the wasting of members subs, on all expenses paid presentation gala evenings, attended by the same old, same old...  >:( >:(

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

baldeagle

lucgeo. Sadly I must agree with your comment. USDAW is not fit to be called a trade union.

penguin

USDAW are a union in name only when it comes to Tesco, nothing more than a nodding dog that barks to Tescos tune, feel sorry for the decent in store reps who do try there best but get no backup from those above them, and so for the amount of money wasted on black tie dinners, weekends away, presentations not to mention the rubbish sent into stores for new members like pens, water bottles, posters, bookmarks, wristbands and lord knows what else you can see where the subs are going.

Redshoes

A union is strong if it has strong membership. If I remember right it was a closed shop when I joined the company but that was over 30 years ago so I can't be sure I'm remembering right. It may be a poor union, on that score I can't comment but a strong union has high membership. It has people power. On another thread someone has commented about how the police firearms banded together and had each other's backs. The reality of retail is its poorer paid, people can't afford not to work and we have high numbers of people who come to work, do the job and go home but are not interested until it comes to hours being changed or some such thing like that. When a job role has been removed it's only the people involved that try and fight or complain. Somebody sat on a till is not interested in changes to stock control and back door is not interested in bakery, and so it goes on. Part of this is we are just so busy delivering the job. The bigger the store the more the areas break down into smaller Depts within the store. Smaller stores tend not to divide up as much. I have worked in stores where you see people and ask if they are new and you find out they have worked in the store three years. It's all a matter of who you see on the shifts you work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk