Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 04:09PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 318
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Requesting more contracted hours if you've been regularly working overtime?

Started by deliverydriver123, 06-07-20, 10:06PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deliverydriver123

Hi everyone,

I have an 12 hour contract but for months I have been regularly working 40+ hours a week. For the past few months all of these hours have been deputising as a Driving Team Support. My 12 hour contract is just a Customer Delivery Driver one. Is there any was I can get my contracted hours put up or any way I can use the fact I've been working 40 hours a week as a team support to encourage the company to put out a permanent team support job? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

lucgeo

In a word no! Any position would need to be advertised, and a team support position would only be offered to a team support colleague.

Has the contracted team support colleague been off?

Speak to your manager, and ask if there are more hours available in the dept? Answer will probably be no, as they are coming down from extra deliveries during the pandemic, and will be reviewing the dept hours.

However, you can enquire about becoming a team support colleague. Once you're signed off, then you can apply for any team support role that becomes vacant. If your dept does have a team support vacancy coming up, your stand in will go in your favour.

40+ hours per week  ??? I hope you're being paid the going rate, and suprised the wages clerk hasn't questioned the authorisation of working over 37.5 hours?? Or does the dot com contract differ from store hours??

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lalaland

At my store new team supports are filled without being advertised when this is queried by other staff interested in the jobs they are told that the positions have been filled by staff who have been seconded into the positions so no advertising is needed. This is also happening with team manager roles one of which has been given to a temp.

oldfashionedplayer

Last I checked all the roles are supposed to be advertised and extra hours would be more in favour to ones who already on team support etc... Though your protector line doesn't care either way unfortunately...

lucgeo

Quote from: lalaland on 07-07-20, 10:40AM
At my store new team supports are filled without being advertised when this is queried by other staff interested in the jobs they are told that the positions have been filled by staff who have been seconded into the positions so no advertising is needed. This is also happening with team manager roles one of which has been given to a temp.

Total BS  8-)
All vacancies should be advertised, it is to stop just this scenario...jobs for the boys!

Any interested colleagues who have been denied the right to apply, should grievance under T&C's which has conveniently, in recent years, been changed from it going out of store, to staying instore which is wrong in my opinion, as one of my best repping moments was watching an SM squirming and trying to backtrack, when a gobby family member was given a full time position and promptly announced it to everyone...before the closing date for the vacancy!!
Managers are always abusing the rules to get their mates or family in, and usually on more hours than anyone else!

Redshoes

Roles should be advertised if they can but in certain circumstances they can just fill without doing so but that is normally done in consultation with the union and group personnel.
No manager roles can be filled without going higher and being given the OK to do so. It not only depends on your store structure but also surrounding stores. A displaced manager has priority so they have first pickings.

lucgeo

8-) What are the certain circumstances  ??? Can you be more specific? Open to abuse if not known, and used for every instore act of nepotism.

Redshoes

There is not a list of circumstances. It's case by case and it's more a case of how badly impacted the dept is by not having the job filled quickly. Sometimes the hours can easily be filled by overtime giving time to advertise and appoint. At others it is the reverse.
Then it can also be that one dept is heavily over hours and they have colleagues that can move over to fill a gap in another dept. If a store is heavily over hours they should look at trying to do this. If they advertise in store it may take longer as it could result in several people moving. This can work out well in the long run and it's surprising who the people are who show interest in jobs but if needed for a dept on its knees with a gap in the schedule it's a very painful process.
These are really just two scenarios but there are more. It basically just comes down to urgency to fill gap though.

Nomad

Fill the gap temporarily till applications/appointment process complete.  If there is somebody to fill it immediately then they can be made temporary.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

lucgeo

Quote from: Redshoes on 09-07-20, 03:28AM
There is not a list of circumstances. It's case by case and it's more a case of how badly impacted the dept is by not having the job filled quickly. Sometimes the hours can easily be filled by overtime giving time to advertise and appoint. At others it is the reverse.
Then it can also be that one dept is heavily over hours and they have colleagues that can move over to fill a gap in another dept. If a store is heavily over hours they should look at trying to do this. If they advertise in store it may take longer as it could result in several people moving. This can work out well in the long run and it's surprising who the people are who show interest in jobs but if needed for a dept on its knees with a gap in the schedule it's a very painful process.
These are really just two scenarios but there are more. It basically just comes down to urgency to fill gap though.

So all those scenarios are run past the union and group personnel first  ???

Bobmay

I have an question if an shift leader who abuse his power can he be sacked if there is clear evidence. Example he states that his rules are above Tesco rules even if it against tesco rules with clear evidence of him saying.Also him saying that whilst doing training that Tesco training is BS and to hurry up and infact he will give me the answers.

would this lead to dismal if brought up as grievance? BY at least two people with both cases having evidence.?

Redshoes

Will be held to account. The company takes the training seriously.
As far as being sacked, these things never have a definite outcome. Both sides need to be heard. Evidence has to be looked at.

lucgeo

The T/L should either be disciplined and put on a re training plan, or asked to stand down. Chances are he'd leave, rather than become a CA amongst the same ones to whom he was verbally abusive.

You can either put in a joint grievance with others, or all grievance individually. If you're in the union, have your rep in meetings.

If any CA's have been disciplined, due to non compliance of policies, where they can prove this TL volunteered the answers in order to rush them, then any warnings should be overturned. As does any future disciplinaries where this TL has signed off the training, becomes questionable and should be deemed, no case to answer, and the CA receives retraining.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk