News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:54PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 288
Total: 291

Pandemics & Tesco's policy

Started by Orangutan, 24-02-20, 09:51AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lackofinterest

Quote from: dotnochance on 08-07-20, 09:50AM
££££
exactly!!! no other reason whatsoever >:(

Poolboy77

I would say no one on here has read the pack properly stop causing mass panic on this site report the actual facts

King1999

I would say you've got a workforce sick of being treated like s*** by s***......mass panic no just peed off with it.

Redshoes

The trouble with the one way system is forcing people to all go to same area. As you come into the store not everybody would head to A1. Some will go directly to A3 for example.
You can end up with huge congestion on A1 and the rest of the store is quiet and queues building up outside. The one way system was removed for us yesterday and we were counting how many people we had in the store. The feel was that we were shocked at how many were in the store as it did not feel like it. We did not have any customer complaints, in fact people were pleased. Some colleagues were nervous to start with but soon found that it actually felt a lot better. We had to keep the single queue at checkouts though, it did not work having a free for all at the checkout ends of aisles.

barafear

I guess the one way system is store dependent. Ok, you're always going to have people who either ignore the arrows or are forgetful or miss them.
But we didn't have a regimented system which meant everyone had to go "down" aisle 1 - if they didn't need anything from aisle 1 or 2, they could head straight to aisle 3; what they couldn't do would be to come in the entrance and head down aisle 2 (or 4 or 6) as these were "up" aisles rather than down.

We tended to get a log jam in our aisle with stuff like pasta/gravy/soup etc. I think this was simply because this aisle had a lot of products (i.e. lots of small products which didn't take up much room on the shelf - unlike something like soft drinks or crisps multipacks).

The other area of congestion was the one queue system - often the queue would snake down two or even three aisles (we are not a big store - so that represented over 20% of the shop).

I haven't been in this week yet - but I believe the one queue system is gone - and that is a good thing in my eyes.

I have noticed - on a completely tangental point - that the share price has been steadily falling over the last couple of months - falling from around 260p (in Feb and April) to around 210p today - is this because Tesco have now lost their "competetive" advantage (i.e. when other shops, pubs and restaurants were closed) - or is it something else? I don't think the stock market as a whole has fallen that much

King1999

Maybe all the cuts aren't looking that clever now......

lucgeo

Until they make face coverings mandatory in all stores,  following Scotland's example, then the arrival of a second peak is almost a certainty.

I have said from the outset, that face coverings should have been worn...even while the "experts" we're saying of little benefit...Ha! They got proved wrong there aswell! Now they're saying it only helps stop spreading to other people...so if everyone wears one hmmm... ???
In my opinion, the next thing they should be doing is turning off the bloody air con in any enclosed space...its just recirculating the air and blasting it down on people. They're all over the place and some ceilings aren't high enough to not get a direct hit!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

grim up north

I went shopping today and didnt enjoy it one bit. Trying to keep aisles one way would help

lucgeo

Me neither  8-)

Hardly any customers wearing face masks or gloves...pushing past and leaning over each other...bloody free for all...one older female customer continually coughing...no mask, no attempt to cover her mouth with her hand...afraid I lost it when she was almost stood next to me coughing..." Jesus Christ, cover your mouth when you cough, where's your mask?" She seemed shocked and said she'd just come out of hospital after an operation and the cough wasn't one to worry about...seriously ??? Told her she should be wearing a mask, especially as she's probably more vulnerable after op!

Very little social distancing, no obvious concern by anyone. Local Tesco done away with one way system and regulated entry, relying on 2m distancing, and common sense! GIVE ME STRENGTH!!

Nomad

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-53346509
QuoteTesco said it encouraged all colleagues and customers to follow the latest government advice and added it had introduced extensive measures across its stores to keep people safe, including regular deep cleaning

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/12076610/tesco-coronavirus-one-way-queue/
QuoteTesco changes its social distancing rules by removing one-way systems and increasing customer limits

https://www.entertainmentdaily.co.uk/lifestyle/shoppers-brand-tesco-reckless-after-it-reviews-in-store-safety-measures/
QuoteSupermarket Tesco has left customers enraged after reportedly removing floor arrows and signage that promote social distancing.

Confused  8-)  why should anybody be confused  :question:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

barafear

Regular deep cleaning?

Given what some retailers (who've only been allowed to open since mid June) are now doing, it seems Tesco have just dropped everything and are pretty much back to normal.

So, stores such as book shops which "quarantine" books for 72 hours after someone touches them but doesn't buy.
Cleaning chip and pin devices after every transaction.

etc.etc.

Now Tesco just seem to carry on as normal.

lucgeo

Also nobody monitoring the trollies now, so just being abandoned anywhere ( ours is not a coin slot trolley) so anywhere away from the cleaning station.
Though to be fair, other supermarkets don't section used and cleaned trollies, and the cleaning station is inside, so you've handled the used, possibly contaminated trolley, en route yo the cleaning station  :-X

Bacons

It's not the fault of Tesco if people can't wash their hands or stop touching their faces.

miriam

Barafear

I agree with you

Everything back as it was in January

Like no virus existed
All the money spent putting things in place all removed and torn up

penguin

Same in the store I’m in, seems like it’s back to business as usual, a part from couple of people using face masks, you could be forgiven for thinking Coronavirus had never happened, of course nobody wants to see a spike or second wave but when one looks at past pandemics and indeed the situation abroad it seems we could we’ll end up with one and at some point soon be back to square one, with just about everywhere closed and distance measures back the places kept open.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

lucgeo

Quote from: Bacons on 10-07-20, 05:02PM
It's not the fault of Tesco if people can't wash their hands or stop touching their faces.

Last time I shopped in Tesco, I didn't notice any hand washing stations dotted around the shop floor  ???

lucgeo

Quote from: miriam on 11-07-20, 09:46AM
Barafear

I agree with you

Everything back as it was in January

Like no virus existed
All the money spent putting things in place all removed and torn up

Are you saying they have dispensed with all the protective screens etc??

miriam

Lucgeo
No one lining up outside as there is no limit to how many allowed in store
All the tape on the floor has been removed
So free for all at checkouts
2 checkout operators back to back with cardboard cut out between them
screen for now in place don't know how much longer they will be up

rayinski

The screens are going to be replaced with permanent one's (according to our store manager) and we have a plastic screen between cashiers on the tills that have back to back one them (not that you'll find me using one as it leaves insufficent room to move).

lindajohnson38

Hi this is my first post when pm said 1m ruling we had an email from usdaw saying 2 metre rule is still to be followed and everything they had agreed with usdaw was to stay the same, now we are removing one way system allowing more customers in store getting rid of queuing system in store so free for all already ... it was bedlam in store with those rules now they have done this it's worse didn't feel safe before definitely not now, apparently this has come from head office which makes me laugh as they are still working from home !! All the other shops which have now opened have more protection than supermarkets ...my question is where is paddy from usdaw now telling Tesco that's not what pm said ?? Partnership joke!!! If you go on our Tesco or gives you Covid risk assessment stating updated 3rd July which says nothing about removing anything !!

lucgeo

Have you spoken to your union rep, and H&S rep?? They need to get written clarification on what the acceptable practice is, going forward.

lindajohnson38

Yes spoke to usdaw rep and they have spoken to management they doing what they have been told to do by head office ...so my point still stands why is union leaders letting this happen when rules never changed as far as tesco go they say they are following government guidelines but the 1m +rule says mitigating circumstances 1 of which is reducing amount of customers in an enclosed space yet we have increased so which rules are they going by seems to me tesco are just worried about profit over customer and collegue health.

miriam

Linda I agree
Government guidelines are not being followed in any of the areas
I'm in contact with government on a weekly basis and have confirmed this
Union are working with as in on same side as tesco
Making up rules as they go along again
Tesco are not the only ones it's across the board mental health don't come into it

Chambers21

So will all staff have to wear a mask now?

barafear

Someone mentioned on the face masks thread that retail staff will be exempt.
As I mentioned a couple of days ago, bus drivers are exempt on public transport because they sit behind a screen.
So I guess that means that checkout staff are also ok.
But that would seem to discriminate against shop floor staff - we await final confirmation.

The whole Tesco "safety" policy and even the wider reduction in restrictions opens a whole can of worms.
I'm flummoxed that it is only "retail" environments that have to follow this facemask rule?
So a busy pub (or even a quiet pub) will not need to ensure their customers wear masks?

It's all a mystery to me!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk