News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

17-05-24, 08:49AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 5,908
  • Latest: Old man
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,559
  • Total Topics: 647
  • Online today: 786
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 79
Total: 82

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Backdoorman

Can remember reading and now can't find (typical) that when loading/unloading vehicles at the backdoor no one other than backdoor staff should be in warehouse - True or False? Had stand up with grocery manager this eve re same where he's got a grocery lackey to pull out MU's from the warehouse while we're unloading fresh delivery - right across our delivery path.

Common sense says "don't do it" but book?? which book?? gonna contact USDAW monday but until then, answers on the back of a dolly and send it to the store.

Ta much!

A thankfull Backdoorman!

almostlost

My brothers off work today, maybe tomorrow after a cage of potatoes fell onto him sunday, pinning him to the floor.  Damaged his knee, had to finish the shift as the SM is on holiday and the other T/L's werent interested in covering for him.

Maybe he'll reconsider tipping on his own in future (there was him and one in the building).

Chairswan

Sorry to hear about your brother allmostlost, does work at an express by any chance (?))

almostlost

How did you guess ? :)

Chairswan

By the way you wrote your post  ;)

A similar incident happened at a store in the West London area, a tatty dolly fell on a backdoorman.  :(
But that was on a dock leveller in a superstore.

almostlost

An update, his SM basically said it was his own fault, and will not consider trying to move a member of staff to an earlier shift on a sunday to help cover when theres only him there to tip.

The Mrs

Nasty one in Southampton this week. Agency driver, his first day, stepped back off trailer and tail lift was down, pulled a cage down on top of him. In hospital with some serious injuries. HSE investigating - and they are particularly interested in training records. Transport department MM, heads together and seen frantically searching the office for relevant records.

Chairswan

Who was operating the tail lift, the driver or the backdoor person.  (?))

Seanmclude

Thoughts for the driver on this one. Hope he is okay!

POA Billy

The training states that drivers must push cages off the trailer, it starts to make sense now.

Chairswan

Yeh it does now POA Billy, highlighting the word PUSH

The reason I asked who was operating the tail-lift as I've heard of incidents where driver have fallen off the back of trailer because someone has operated it without the driver's consent.  :o

The Mrs

Most recent is that he has a ruptured spleen, two fractured vertebrae and a broken ankle.

Tail lift was down but the flaps were up.

HSE equipment check was OK, hence the interest in training as it was his first day.

Chairswan

Sounds like a case of the driver forgot to raise the tail lift before he stepped over. But that is all I can say right this second  :-X
I've personally seen instances where a driver almost pushed a cage over the edge because they forgot to raise the lift.  Or another occasion I had to shout to the driver whilst the lift was being raised because a cage of tinned soup was rolling down aiming for the driver to knock him off the platform.  :o

BJW50

Story from Soton driver, the Agency driver was falling when he grabed a cage to stop himself but instead pulled the cage on top of himself.

Scottish Carter

A big problem for drivers are stand in managers and deputees who are trying to make a name for themselves by beating the other managers and other shifts turn around time. Some of these people (who cannot count to ten....Terry Leahy`s words not mine) actually think their title supercedes Health and safety and back door procedure along with trading law. I have heard a Director will be coming down hard somewhere on this site ....can someone point me in the right direction on the post from the Mrs.

It takes a firm tone and stout word in their cubby hole and then they get all touchy feely cause somebody stood up to them. Sooner the Director stands up to the plate and swings his size ten the better for these idiots who care for nothing but the next step on the ladder and s*d Health and safety. Go get em Mr Director I say because they need a good boot where it hurts. Some of the worst offenders are women who have no concern other than to cause an argument and THINK they have proven a point. A bad accident worse than the one at Whitehaven is on the horizon unless action is taken against these idiots and the sooner the better.  ;)
On a brighter note......well done to the guys (and Girl) on dayshift at Dundee extra who are to my knowledge the only ones to apply the correct unloading procedure in the whole of the stores we deliver to from Livingston. If anyone with any clout is reading this then I suggest all these people who are not trained up get sent here to see how it is done correctly. Well done the tangerine dream team.  ;) ;)

The Mrs

Another agency driver has almost come off the back of a trailer, but managed to save himself. Soton are re-training agency staff.

But I don't think training is the problem in this case. It's the increased number of cages being loaded onto trailers. If the cages are right up to the doors and the driver has to pull them onto a tail lift - where is he supposed to step back?

Chairswan

As far as I've been told, they're supposed to load lighter (or even empty) cages onto the rear most of the trailer by the door to the aid the driver to pull them out easily as theres limited room between the trailer & the tail-lift.
Obviously the ramps should be put up prior to the raising of the tail-lift of course.

TM, was the store's bay in question on a slope (?))  This makes things even more trickier.  :o

PitseaSuspect

How many cages was the driver pulling off and puttin onto the tail lift? If you put on 2 at a time, i know it will slow things slightly down, you have enough room on the tail lift to stand at the side when the cages are put onto the lift. Maybe re training is needed but also some common sense, with all this rush of tip and fill times there will be accidents so perhaps it might help if some drivers slow things down. Especially agency drivers as they tend to be in a rush due to DCs pushing them to do more work.

Geezer100

Well, it's happened again.
Stobarts managed to hit the gate Wednesday night. Gate now drags along ground at the bottom, and difficult to open.

Chairswan

Not that gate again Geezer, was this going in or coming out (?))

The other day someone ran over their own foot whilst pulling two cages from a delivery.  :o Naughty as they won't cover you for pulling more then one cage at a time.

Geezer100

Pass chairswan. wasn't there.
it got fixed today, before we 'lost' the yard for 3 hours. That's another story.

Chairswan

So you lost the yard for 3 hours to Eddie then (?))  ???

Geezer100

No the police. it became a crime scene see news articles.

PitseaSuspect

Cold weather time people.. remember to grit those ramps if you not got any rock salt get in touch with your maintainence people  :d:

Chairswan

If not rock salt then table salt any good (?))  ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk