News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:26PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 287
Total: 290

Physical attacks/threats on staff.

Started by fatty, 04-11-07, 03:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaycloth

This underlines the importance of keeping racism in check. People tend to forget that it is a two way street. My views on immigration are well known on this forum. I'm for controls that balance immigration with housing, jobs and other services. Economic immigration is a fact and will always balance itself out in time. But controls still need to be in place, this government has admitted that it has no idea of the number of immigrants currently in this country, which is shameful.
Also shameful is any sort of attack on people doing their work and I hope the driver looked after by the company, with regard to any issues he/she has after the incident.

Geezer100

Not an attack on staff, more a threat.
one security guard in my store got told by a customer that he has an appointment with her son's fists.
He wasn't bothered, but he said to me that it's getting to the point where he can't go shopping in the town without someone saying something to him.
Fatty - your store security, have you any comments/expierences on this?

Ok, who robbed the spell checker??
(Will be back, but we need time, lots to do. Nomad)

PitseaSuspect

I use to be security at my store and i live pretty much in the same area as it. I've come across a few people I've had to deal with but i havent had any threats. Might be because i dress like a hoodie they dont reconise me  :D

However i have had one person that wouldnt leave me alone but in a friendly way i had presents bought for me, a thank you card and a mobile number for busting her friend lol. She wasnt my taste though  ;D

clansman

9 times out of 10 nothing comes of threat's made in the store people say things in the heat of the moment i have been told that " i am going to be dun in " lots of time then the next time you see them its i am dead sorry about last week then you tell em there banned from the store and it happens all over agin YAY  8-)

The Mrs

STAFF working at a Worcester supermarket are being harassed by underage youths who are looking to buy alcohol. Three employees at Tesco in Warndon Villages have approached their county councillor asking for help to address the problem.

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/local/4059287.Youth_gangs_harass_supermarket_workers/

One of the letters below the article - "When the entrance was by the steps, Tesco refused to follow police crime prevention advice"  :o

alexis77

I have been on the end of verbal abuse only twice in my time at Tesco but a customer actually threw a flat of beer at me (he missed by the way) because I refused to sell it to him as he had no ID.  If that had happened in a pub or elsewhere he'd be done for assault - what's the deal with male customers bullying the female staff?  Does it make them feel like "big men" or what? Plus I had verbal off a teen one day because she was refused alcohol as she had no ID - she was buying nappies and baby formula and thought cos she was buying baby items she would be served drink.  NO deary, that's not how it works - I asked her for ID, she had none, she ranted about having a baby etc etc and a colleague of mine turned to me and said she knew the girl and she was only 15 and so said customer left very red-faced. Customers don't seem to get the fact that if we sell alcohol to them and then it turns out that they are underage it is actually the checkout person who gets taken to court - we are not being rude or trying to be clever - we are just trying to stick to the law and yet we get a mouthful of expletives and maybe a few hand gestures and expected to take it! ???

Mr BOB

When i have recieved a load of verbal from some teenage muppet who i've refused sale of cigs, i often ask them if they think said abuse is going to make me change my mind! Shuts them up pronto. The usual response to sale refusal is "But you served me yesterday!"... not convincing especially when i hadnt been at work the previous day!  :P//

The Mrs

VincentZestril

Was coming in for my shift last night just before 9pm and walking past the counters I saw an arguement that was taking place between some kids and a lady on checkouts.. Now the kids didn't even look old enough for alcohol and without ID were refused straight away, they were shouting and hollering and were EVENTUALLY asked to leave by the manager who took ages to arrive, as they leave, one of the kids cowardly punches this lady (I won't use names but shes a friend of mine) in the stomach and they all run, as I start to chase the kid this idiot manager shouts don't chase him, but I grab him anyway. I was later told I could be fired for grabbing the kid like that because it might be considered assault and that I'm not security staff.. all this time I was thinking to myself am I really living in the real world, it was just ridiculous.

Can we rename Great Britain to just Britain.. ?

fatty

I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite.
G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)

stardust

with all these expresses being targeted early morning and late evening isnt it time that Tescos put security of the staff before profits

xExpress

As a lot of you will know Tesco actually cut the amount of security guard hours last year. However if you attend the new security/shrink workshop for s/team you will actually be told the store security guards are not permitted to actually stop anyone, and it is down to the managers as they have had conflict resolution training (remember stand with your side facing the person pmsl). Contract security guards are actually only there to look good. Tesco security (which you never see) are also permitted to stop and arrest.

Last year I witnessed security guards being withdrawn from Express stores even though they were high risk stores, which in turn has lead to a number of problems which saved money in a number of ways, i.e. No need to pay for the security guards, and no need to pay the staff their bonus as they fail there stock takes, due to shrink. But just think they did replace security guards with a new poster saying Tesco staff are not there to be abused and we will press for prosecution if they are.

I know of at least one team leader in express that was in fear of his safety as well as his staff's due to a shop lifter who was already banned. This team leader wasunable to contact his store manager (was finished for the day and had his phone off) or security support or the police who said they were busy.  In the end this team leader actually had to call on another Express SM, that was not even connected to his store but lived local. At the time (and give him some credit) the SM did come straight into the store and try and help the staff and Team leader feel safer, and helped deal with the incident.

And all this was over one shop lifter.

When the store was closed that night the team leader was attacked by the same shop lifter who had been released. The team leader was luckily spotted by another passing member of staff and drove to safety.

The SM that attended the store to help the staff was later repremanded for assisting with a store he was not connected too, as he made a split decision to support, but was told it was not the way in which the actually store manager would have dealt with the situation. what happened to show you care?????

Later that week the team leader was told there was nothing Tesco could do to make him feel more safe and it was part of his job, (but they would send him on a refresh course of conflict resolutions) the team leader requested a transfer due to living too close to the store and was clearly told there was not a chance as he was the first key holder for the store, and the rest of the team did not live in the area, however they would look into it in the future.

Another express store had a very serious problem with attacks, due to the area they were in, so clever Tesco decided to cut the security guard hours down, and in place give each of the staff a radio and ear piece to call on the other staff who were in store if there was a problem. What were they supposed to do if they were attacked throw the radio at the person?

I do personally think it is time for something to be done to protect our staff, and actually show we are a company who show we care!! because at pressent I don't think we can show this, there are not enough staff, and no security, and as a reward for putting the staff in danger what we do is take their bonus off them for not achieving our targets.

I think its every penny counts!!

PS sorry for the rant but it is something I feel strongly about.

Jaycloth

No need to apologise for anything you said in your post. Astounding lack of care for staff members and taking bonuses,simply adds to the insult. A discusting way to treat staff, who put themselves out for the company day after day.

tinner

I have just read xExpress's post, are staff allowed to carry personal alarms.
where do they stand on refusing to work on duty of care,
because the idiots who run our justice system more attacks are going to happen, if you are on a plane and threaten a member of staff, guaranteed there is a hefty fine or sentence.
I thought the union were running a big campaign against attacks on staff.
maybe if bigwigs are made to work ther, they wil give more security.
I have known drivers (not tesco) who have been held up at gunpoint to refuse to deliver to that store again and they have been put on different runs because of duty of care.
xExpress rant away your life is more important than company profits.

fatty

Any person is worth more than the cash, stock or the building.

In the event that you another member of staff or a customer is threatened in a robbery the most important thing is COMPLY. If you can safely use your panic alarms do so.

Do as the robbers say, give them what they want, hopefully they will leave as soon as they get what they desire.

Try to remember details about them, height, if you can, compare them to fixed objects. Colour, white, Asian black etc? Hair length, colour and style?

Clothes? Footwear, trainers/shoes, trousers, tops or hats etc

Are they wearing gloves? If not, do they touch anything?

Distinguishing marks? tattoos, scars?

Language, accents, also what they say.

Do they know where they are going? Do they know where the CCTV cameras are, the safe, the high value goods especially in back areas?

Just remember what you can whilst NOT PUTTING YOURSELF IN ANY DANGER! Get out of the way if you can, call for help if it is safe. As soon as it is safe to do so ring the Police, check everone is OK, write down what you remember of the incident.

Even before you get to work or when you are leaving work look what is going on around you.

Are persons "hanging around" work at the beginning or the end of your shift?

Do you see the sames face or car over a few days? If you do log the details, what they look like and any car number plates etc.

Has the exterior of the store been tampered with?

Do report to stores security any and all incidents where you have concerns. Never be afraid to report worries or concerns to the Police, believe me they will be happy to help.

If you have any security concerns and you feel you are not being listened to contact the PROTECTOR LINE, they are there to help.

I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite.

gomezz

Quote from: tinner on 09-04-09, 08:15PMI have just read xExpress's post, are staff allowed to carry personal alarms.

Personal alarms are standard equipment for dot.com drivers.  Although, thankfully, I live and work in a part of the country where I have never felt the need to even carry it and just leave it in the van.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

ali p

Quote from: gomezz on 09-04-09, 10:38PM
Quote from: tinner on 09-04-09, 08:15PMI have just read xExpress's post, are staff allowed to carry personal alarms.

Personal alarms are standard equipment for dot.com drivers.  Although, thankfully, I live and work in a part of the country where I have never felt the need to even carry it and just leave it in the van.
That's if your store manager will order them   had an on going issue with those and hands free kits..
too expensive for the budget.

tinner

Personal alarms were given to the public (especially females) by the police. don't know if they still do.

The Mrs

Tesco not only have a duty of care to their staff but also to their customers shopping in their stores.

"causing terrified customers to flee"

Maybe it's time the customers started complaining about lack of security too?

xExpress

Can I just say I have no faith left in protector line, as I know of a report about the fact an other employee in a different store was marking staff, he thought it was a joke, but a joke happens once. I noticed small bruises on his staff. The responce I got from protector line was there had dealt with it.

Truth is, this is still happening an no action was taken.

The Mrs

xExpress

Yes it was, but they just replied by saying it had been dealt with, as it had been passed on to the relevent PMG, who was going to pass it to the APM.

It has not been dealt with.

fatty

If from your post you mean that that member of staff was hurting other member of staff and leaving bruises, then its easy, call the police.

Assault is a police issue. Then if it is shown that the company has not dealt with the issue...... (?))

xExpress

I have asked a police friend for advice, and have been told nothing can actually be done unless a complaint is made by the individuals involved. They could investigate it, but could not take any action unless they have a complaint made by an injured party.
I have an email address of someone in regional HO who does not like things like this, so I will email her.

jelliclecat8

I have to say, there was a well known drunk guy once who my DM refused to serve, and he threw a punch at him, which missed my face by inches. I was so scared! Of course, this was after we'd done away with our security guards ¬¬. On a morning, there's often only a 19y/o female TL and me (20 y/o CA) on shift, we're so vulnerable it's untrue. Watch this space for more attacks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk