News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:55PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 292
Total: 295

News articles

Started by Nomad, 21-03-18, 10:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notsofunny

Quote from: barafear on 27-10-20, 04:30PM
From the BBC Website:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-54702693

Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham has criticised Tesco for not enforcing coronavirus rules on masks.

He told the House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee that, during recent talks with the government over tier three restrictions, he had asked for powers to close businesses not deemed to be doing enough to make themselves Covid-safe.

Mr Burnham said: "I'm not just talking about pubs and restaurants. There are large supermarkets in Greater Manchester who in my view have not properly implemented the requirements around face coverings.

"I'll name one chain, Tesco. I don't believe they have taken a responsible attitude to this issue. They've said it's not for them to enforce. Well, I think it is for those organisations to enforce."

The BBC has contacted Tesco for comment.

I don't normally agree with Burnham Yet find my self agreeing with him on this , Tesco telling everyone that they Tesco would not be enforcing it only gave the green light to those that don't and at the same time put Tesco staff at risk ,

Redshoes

Wearing masks is not comfortable for anyone. I work with people with really bad asthma and they have managed to wear a mask for a full shift in work. Wearing one for the duration of shopping can't be compared to a full day in work. It takes time to get used to wearing one so trying for five mins and then saying not able to wear is not the best way forward, for anyone.
Even so, it's not up to us to police. There are acknowledged exceptions. We can't enforce people cleaning hands as they come into the store either.
It is to us to obey policy and follow the rapidly changing guidelines as sent down from head office. There are different restrictions in different parts of the country. We must have stores close to one another having to follow different rules.
We have had to restrict how many things people buy because of panic buying. Thankfully this is no longer an issue.
We see people coming in daily, sometimes more than once. We should all be going out only when needed and a daily trip to a supermarket should not be needed, do we police this too? Workmen come in daily to buy food for work but the daily shopper is not restricted to them. Are we going to start allowing customers to shop by invitation only.
Restricting products sold results in people going to three shops if they need food, socks and a kettle. By restricting what people buy in the store we don't guarantee that they will visit local shops anyway. I suspect a high percentage of people will just go online.

Totot

Andy's statement is hypocritical.  First don't want Birmingham in tier 3 state because of economic reason, yet asking for money that's more than other city while got nothing to offer for social behaviour to reduce spread nor any local economic strategy.

Now he singles out Tesco about allowing people not wearing a mask and threatened to close it, that is the opposite of financial impact that he said he was worrying about in the beginning.

Threatening to close a venue which does not adhere to the rules (like him before) while singling out Tesco, can be seen as marketing strategy from another competitor.  To blemish Tesco's name and keep the rest of supermarket images unaffected.

Would have been much easier for him to send police to each Tesco that he thinks doesn't adhere to the rules, but he didn't do it.

Beside me personally I would be happy to do it as long as gov give us authority to fine people who don't wear a mask and keep 50% of it LOL.....but after he makes clear who is exempt from wearing one or not in more visible way (yeah rite).

Batmanjo

It may help stop spreading the virus if shops were to say no mask no service ! as we do not wish to put the unwell people that cannot wear a mask at risk and we the (shops) for once want to protect our staff from the the virus.If you cannot wear a mask shop online.

NightAndDay

The problem with that is the subhundred IQs in the governments lawmaking capacity essentially gave the antimaskers a silver bullet to bypass the legislation by have the exemption clause in it, namely medical conditions, they also specifically say they don't have to prove or justify it either. To refuse service to antimaskers could equate to breaking the equality act 2010.

dotnochance

Yeah, then Tesco refuses entry to someone! And we find out later that person had serious mental issues and because of being refused entry they (hypothetically but. Plausible) they commit suicide, and then the papers/politicians butt f*** Tesco and hang them out try dry for every failing in the country. Tesco will never ever enforce this, mainly down to the bad press they could get from it

barafear

https://www.ig.com/uk/news-and-trade-ideas/tesco-share-price--what-to-expect-from-first-half-results-201006

Interesting typo in this article about Tesco half year results:

Tesco’s first half results will be presented by its new chief executive Dave Murphy, who took over just six days ago. We have a look at what to expect from the earnings.

Nomad

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2020/11/02/pepsico-names-ex-tesco-ceo-dave-lewis-to-board.html

QuotePepsiCo Inc. has named former chief executive of the U.K.’s largest retailer Tesco, Dave Lewis, as an independent member of the board.

New York-based PepsiCo (Nasdaq: PEP) said Lewis, 55, will join the board effective Nov. 13, and will be a member of the audit committee.

PepsiCo employees  :'(
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

dotnochance

"audit committee" oh dear

Nomad

https://www.orcadian.co.uk/workers-returned-to-scottish-mainland-following-concerns/

QuoteWhat has been described as “a large group of people” have been returned to the Scottish mainland, after police were contacted with concerns about the group, who were travelling on the ferry Hamnavoe today, in order to carry out work at the Kirkwall Tesco store
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

notsofunny

So could this Audit have been a stock Take ? seems like that to me I mean a large group and external 3rd party ,,,humm

lucgeo

Quote from: Nomad on 04-11-20, 11:29AM
https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2020/11/02/pepsico-names-ex-tesco-ceo-dave-lewis-to-board.html

QuotePepsiCo Inc. has named former chief executive of the U.K.’s largest retailer Tesco, Dave Lewis, as an independent member of the board.

New York-based PepsiCo (Nasdaq: PEP) said Lewis, 55, will join the board effective Nov. 13, and will be a member of the audit committee.

PepsiCo employees  :'(

Dear god...has this man not grabbed enough money, how much more does he need?? Does he get a bundle of free shares and a golden handshake  8-)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

barafear

He might get free Pepsi Max for life

lucgeo

Or he may get a...
lip smacking,thirst quenching,ace tasting,motivating,good buzzin,cool talking,high walking,fast living,ever giving,cool fix....PEPSI  ;)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

notsofunny

He is only on the Audit board so as far as I can see only oversees what the company does as per its own rules and as such does not have any power over rules ,jobs ,pay ,sales ,profits ,,,, seems he will just be like a Audit person that comes in to the store to see if we are keeping to all the rules ,,,,,,,,,

barafear

Quote from: notsofunny on 06-11-20, 07:51PM

He is only on the Audit board so as far as I can see only oversees what the company does as per its own rules and as such does not have any power over rules ,jobs ,pay ,sales ,profits ,,,, seems he will just be like a Audit person that comes in to the store to see if we are keeping to all the rules ,,,,,,,,,

I believe he is what is known in the "trade" (business world) as a NED.

Non Exec Director (bit like being in the House of Lords compared to the House of Commons) - bit part time (attend 15 meetings a year and get paid about £250k).

I haven't seen the actual pay he is supposed to be getting but that's the gist of it.

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

oldfashionedplayer

Just tesco with their stupidity, government said "must close" for non essential businesses etc, which is why primark and stuff closed, the 3rd says "should close other levels", so tesco took that ad "omg block it all off, quick grab the booze pallets and move it in front" etc...

While all the other competitors just ask their lawyer or anyone with common sense and they say "government says should, so they are just asking as a courtesy you could but don't need to".  ;D

Nomad

Thank you.  The old could, would, should  8-)

Are our elected law makers selected for their stupidity  :-X
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

whatajoke2019

Noticed a store near me had their upstairs open again today despite it being closed off last week...

oldfashionedplayer

yeah the "official word" on athena is that there was confusion between retailers which is why we've taken the decision to reopen mezzanine levels again (or something like that), but not for it to told like that to customers, if customers ask it's "new government guidance"  ;D

notsofunny

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 15-11-20, 05:00PM
Just tesco with their stupidity, government said "must close" for non essential businesses etc, which is why primark and stuff closed, the 3rd says "should close other levels", so tesco took that ad "omg block it all off, quick grab the booze pallets and move it in front" etc...

While all the other competitors just ask their lawyer or anyone with common sense and they say "government says should, so they are just asking as a courtesy you could but don't need to".  ;D

My local Asda ,Marks ,Morrisons did the same Just like Tesco ,And my understanding is that other stores in the area London did the same ,,,,,,,,

Nomad

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/boy-trapped-in-tesco-toilet-is-awarded-10k-39754333.html

QuoteA seven year old boy who was locked in a toilet cubicle in Tesco in Sligo town for 45 minutes has been awarded â,¬10,000 for the incident which occurred in 2018.

The boy, who sued Tesco Ireland Limited, through his mother, was awarded the settlement at Sligo Circuit Court having been approved by Judge Karen Fergus.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk