News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:57AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 310
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Lifestyle Breakl

Started by Penny, 24-09-11, 03:17PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar Manchester

Oscar Manchester

Can I take a lifestyle  break, been here 14 months.

madness

Quote from: Redshoes on 12-03-23, 10:36AM
Quote from: londoner83 on 12-03-23, 05:38AMHowever depending on your individual circumstances it may be possible for you to take ill health retirement.

In any case you should be asking Tesco to refer you to Occupational Health and seeking their advice on what adjustments can be made to your job to enable you to return to work. Whilst not legally binding Tesco are largely expected to implement their findings.

This is a very difficult process. All avenues have had to be exhausted and in a company the size of ours it's expected that we should be able to find a solution. I have seen it denied.

Colleague with health issues on grocery "i cant do heavy lifting"
moved to dairy  "I can't handle the cold"
moved to bakery  "I can't get up in the morning its to early"
moved to checkouts " My anxiety I can't handle dealing with customers"

This is a legit scenario that happened in my store.
If you were running a business would you hire this person?
Yet Tesco HAVE to find them a position.

Elly1519

Quote from: Oscar Manchester on 13-03-23, 01:48PMCan I take a lifestyle  break, been here 14 months.
No, you have to have 2 years continuous service before you can take a Lifestyle Break

Redshoes

Quote from: madness on 13-03-23, 05:07PM
Quote from: Redshoes on 12-03-23, 10:36AM
Quote from: londoner83 on 12-03-23, 05:38AMHowever depending on your individual circumstances it may be possible for you to take ill health retirement.

In any case you should be asking Tesco to refer you to Occupational Health and seeking their advice on what adjustments can be made to your job to enable you to return to work. Whilst not legally binding Tesco are largely expected to implement their findings.

This is a very difficult process. All avenues have had to be exhausted and in a company the size of ours it's expected that we should be able to find a solution. I have seen it denied.

Colleague with health issues on grocery "i cant do heavy lifting"
moved to dairy  "I can't handle the cold"
moved to bakery  "I can't get up in the morning its to early"
moved to checkouts " My anxiety I can't handle dealing with customers"

This is a legit scenario that happened in my store.
If you were running a business would you hire this person?
Yet Tesco HAVE to find them a position.

I have seen it myself too. It is now on the brink of a change, and at long last. Colleagues may have primary roles but they are not restricted to work in a single area now. If they can't fill shelves or serve customers there is very little else they can do. Add to that that they can't work weekends or evenings and it's no wonder stores ended up with the hours in the wrong place. I once had a colleague demand I give her a CSD job. I said I can't move someone just to find you a role and I have no gaps on the desk. I had another colleague refuse a checkout job when I explained to them that they would have to change hours as we don't have checkout colleagues in store two hours before the store opens to customers.
It comes down to either the role or the hours. You are probably not going to get the pick of both, some bending has to be done on both sides but we really can't afford to pay any colleague to do a made up job that is not needed in store.

londoner83

End of the day Tesco could sack you for not fulfilling your contract. To be able to sue you would have to show the alternative positions they offered you are totally unreasonable....

If you can only do a sitting down checkout job is it unreasonable to ask you to move your hours to times that the store is actually open to customers?

If the company provides thermals, warm clothing, allows you a extra break to get hot drinks etc is it unreasonable to ask you to fill chilled?

If you are moved to the bakery is it unreasonable to ask you to work early shifts when bread is actually produced?

As you work in the service industry is it unreasonable to expect you to interact with customers?

As we are busiest at the weekend is it unreasonable for Tesco to expect you to work some of your shifts then (if there is no legitimate reason why you can't other than I want my weekends off).

Yes as a large employer we are expected to try and accommodate employee requests  but the colleague also needs to have realistic expectations around what roles we can offer.

trivi

I want to take a lifestyle break because I'm totally at my limit with work, too much is expected of me for my role and I don't enjoy it any more and I work full time so the dread of going to work can take over my thoughts.  Obviously can't put that in my request so can I just put mental health or will they force me through sickness instead ?

Doggiedoodle

Why not just put personal problems that you don't want to discuss! As you won't be paid for it I would think they would accept it! 😊

madness

Quote from: trivi on 29-03-23, 09:46PMI want to take a lifestyle break because I'm totally at my limit with work, too much is expected of me for my role and I don't enjoy it any more and I work full time so the dread of going to work can take over my thoughts.  Obviously can't put that in my request so can I just put mental health or will they force me through sickness instead ?
what department are you on? pointless taking a career break if you feel that bad jsut change jobs plenty out there.

barafear

Question about lifestyle breaks - I am currently on one (been off 9 months) and due back in July. When I went off, I had more or less taken annual leave equiv to the 3 months I was there (i.e. about 25% of my allocation).
I believed that having read the Lifestyle break policy that I would be paid my outstanding statutory leave at the end of the holiday year - just checked my payslip for tomorrow and it is still zero.
anyone have any experience of this?

Found the policy:

Do I still earn holiday whilst I am on a Lifestyle Break?
Yes. You will continue to earn statutory holiday (5.6 weeks or 28 days for a five-day worker) whilst you are on a Lifestyle Break, but you will not earn any additional contractual holiday entitlement. The holiday you earn whilst you are away will be paid to you at two points in the year.

For example, if you were taking 52 weeks off you would earn 5.6 weeks holiday during your Lifestyle Break. You will receive pay for this holiday at specific points during the year:

On the first payday following 31st March for any holiday accrued in the holiday year finishing 31st March.

On the first payday following your return from your Lifestyle Break for holiday earned whilst you were on a Lifestyle Break from 1st April.

So - maybe our wages dept are literally taking the wording at face value - so even though tomorrows pay includes "pay up to 1st April" - because tomorrow is 31 March and therefore is not the "first payday following 31 March" - then I guess I might not see it for another 4 weeks.

SpudChucker1970

Yes, your accrued holiday will be in your next payslip. It's got nothing to do with your wages department. It's all done centrally via work and pay systems.

Redshoes

Wages dept has little impact and going forward I suspect they will have even less.

trivi

If you've got holiday pre booked do you still get paid that during a break? As in off May - September and have a week off booked for July and August

oldfashionedplayer

Yes, for lifestyle breaks you take a minimum of 2 weeks off and then you can take as many other weeks, since your unpaid for the time off, it's wise to use the remaining holiday you have if you are aiming to take the full year, if however your planning on returning sooner then plan accordingly so you have time to book etc to be honest.

Cairney39

Quote from: trivi on 01-04-23, 06:21PMIf you've got holiday pre booked do you still get paid that during a break? As in off May - September and have a week off booked for July and August
No this is no longer the policy. You should take/manager should ensure you have taken your earned holidays before your LSB starts. The whole break is unpaid and upon your return your earned statutory holidays are aumatically paid. Unless, as previous post said, it goes over the end of the holiday year.

lessforlife

I am currently on a lifestyle break and I am only contracted Sunday's, I'm not sure if I will go back yet. Does anyone know if I will have to pay back the Sunday premium payment I can't find anything on policies

barafear

Due back from LSB in about 5 weeks - whose "responsibility" is it to "touch base" to discuss return? Should I hear from Manager/Tesco? I know my manager has left during my LSB - I assume my name will simply reappear on rotas?

Sherwoodforest

@barafear for the sake of a phone call I'd contact your store if the previous manager left, just to avoid confusion for yourself.
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk