News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:12PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 275
Total: 278

Pandemics & Tesco's policy

Started by Orangutan, 24-02-20, 09:51AM

Previous topic - Next topic

londoner83

Think all one way systems are going from Wednesday

Morris999

Well the Sainsbury’s near me has not had a one way system at all, neither has the Morrison’s, Asda, B&M Or Lidl and Aldi.
The B&Q has but no-ones stuck to it, nor has it been enforced by the staff that work there or has any employee been spraying people’s hands.
I’ll also add that none of the staff that work in any of the above retailers have actually stuck to the social distancing measures when I’ve been in shopping in them.
The same goes for the Tesco extra nearest me too.

I will point out that all the stores have had a queuing system outside the store, but it’s a free for all once inside.

The best retailer I’ve been in was actually Homebase, queuing system outside, once at the door they explained how the store is operating currently, and what’s expected of the customers, too every customer, before they let you in.
They literally were only letting in a handful of people at a time.
You could literally walk round the entire store and not bump into another customer.
This was still in place today when I visited.

Obviously with the 2m rule being reduced most measures introduced will either be scrapped or reduced to compensate.
What people decide to do will be down to each individual, but it clear to see that a large majority of people have had enough of the measures and apart from queuing outside(which a lot are not happy about now) are ignoring every bit of government advice going.

Welshie

I can honestly say that due to personal circumstances my family has stuck to guidelines and actually have rarely been out of the house . I'm absolutely disgusted at peoples attitudes on beaches , at illegal races and street parties , Dominic Cummings,  mass street protests . I've come to the conclusion that I will do what I have to do to protect my family . I feel for those that get the virus while working but anyone that gets it from not social distancing or breaking the guidelines is really just getting what they deserve .

tempworker2020

Quote from: Morris999 on 04-07-20, 07:58PM
Well the Sainsbury’s near me has not had a one way system at all, neither has the Morrison’s, Asda, B&M Or Lidl and Aldi.
The B&Q has but no-ones stuck to it, nor has it been enforced by the staff that work there or has any employee been spraying people’s hands.
I’ll also add that none of the staff that work in any of the above retailers have actually stuck to the social distancing measures when I’ve been in shopping in them.
The same goes for the Tesco extra nearest me too.

I will point out that all the stores have had a queuing system outside the store, but it’s a free for all once inside.

The best retailer I’ve been in was actually Homebase, queuing system outside, once at the door they explained how the store is operating currently, and what’s expected of the customers, too every customer, before they let you in.
They literally were only letting in a handful of people at a time.
You could literally walk round the entire store and not bump into another customer.
This was still in place today when I visited.

Obviously with the 2m rule being reduced most measures introduced will either be scrapped or reduced to compensate.
What people decide to do will be down to each individual, but it clear to see that a large majority of people have had enough of the measures and apart from queuing outside(which a lot are not happy about now) are ignoring every bit of government advice going.

I get where you are coming from about Homebase however there are unbelievable pressures on staff and it is a pain to work in.  I know in my local store the pressure in Homebase has caused staff to leave.  Homebase has struggled to get the balance between getting it right and making the staff feel bad for every breach of social distancing.  I do not know if this is a local issue or a national issue, my Ex boyfriend works in Homebase and he was always on edge in normal circumstances.

penguin

Quote from: londoner83 on 04-07-20, 05:32PM
Think all one way systems are going from Wednesday

Ours is although to be honest most customers have stopped following it now, some still do and some who do genuinely forget will say sorry and follow it again but most people just look at you like your talking a load of rubbish when asking them to use one way system.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

barafear

Yes, confirmed that all the signs, tape markings, one way system, and single queue down one aisle are all going - so "back to normal"
I presume they'll keep the screens at the till - but didn't ask.
However from a "checkouts" perspective, the interesting thing will be whether they will go back to "opening every till" - what I've observed is that they have cut back on checkout hours whilst able to fall back on the "we're only allowed to open every second checkout" - and possibly "we've got someone on the door and down the queuing aisle" - but I worked yesterday - and Sundays are pretty much back to normal (and it would have been worse if it had been BBQ weather) - so extremely busy for the six hours we're open - especially in the last couple of hours - and yet we only had 5 cashiers plus self service - as usual none of the managers helped out - other than walking around observing - the general feedback seems to be a cutback in hours.
Oh well, maybe management are foreseeing the near future when a new supermarket opens nearby in a few weeks.

Welshie

Maybe covid is the excuse they've been waiting for to get rid of I dont queue ?

King1999

So Tesco are basically going to allow mass gatherings in-store.....pretty sure that's illegal.As for everything's back to normal that's a laugh nothing's normal about working for these twats anymore.

sammy

I don’t queue is being switched back on in my store and every checkout can be opened and customers will queue at each checkout rather than 1 big queue. They say the 2 metre rule is staying but 450 people are going to be allowed in rather than 250. How can the be right. It’s been busy as it is

Hammer10

No worries they will be inundated with sick calls and people self isolating for two weeks.

King1999

Good old union doing it's up most to look after everyone as usual.joke.

Morris999

Quote from: sammy on 06-07-20, 04:31PM
I don’t queue is being switched back on in my store and every checkout can be opened and customers will queue at each checkout rather than 1 big queue. They say the 2 metre rule is staying but 450 people are going to be allowed in rather than 250. How can the be right. It’s been busy as it is

IDQ was never turned off, however it’s not being used in stores or by SD’s to measure front end performance.
Currently there is no time scales to when the business will start using it as a performance measure again.
What is being used is a new dashboard to measure checkout operator performance(scan rate, tender time etc), and while this will be visible to SD’s, SM’s and managers it will come down weekly and used to help plan where to put resources and identity opportunities to best serve the customers.
It’s about getting the balance right between service and functionality at the frontend now the government has started to relax the lockdown measures.
Yes IDQ will return as a frontend performance measure but not yet.
There was a Zoom call a few weeks ago about all of this for Checkout managers, with all the info sent down on comms centre last week.

miriam

In my store they are already using this process
They used something simular before

checkoutmonkey

my understanding is that Tesco are returning to the IDQ promise to customers (so always opening another till if a queue forms) without actually using it as a performance metric at the moment.

Gotta laugh though, apparently although the single queue is to go as of wednesday, as Team Supports if we find that there are too many customers waiting to check out we are to revert back to a single queue until all the customers are served. Quite how they expect us to flip between business as normal and one queue round the back of the shop every time it gets busy whilst making sure social diatancing is adhered to is beyond me. I foresee an utter shambles at the front end, to be honest, especially considering our hours have now been cut to the point that we're lucky if we have the staff to open more than half of our tills at any one time.

Classic Tesco expecting us to deliver on unrealistic expectations without being given the support and resources that we need to do so, and then who will get the blame when it all goes t**s up I wonder...

King1999

I think the point is being missed are staff protected enough.No I don’t think so I’m also talking shopfloor ,the company doesn’t give a s***.If it’s about service why have stores had their staff cut as much as they have.Its all about money it’s all it’s ever about.

lalaland

Do staff have to be informed when a colleague tests positive for COVID this has happened but when a colleague found out they were told it was confidential information and it had to be kept secret and anyone talking about it would be given a let’s talk.

as1284576

Quote from: lalaland on 07-07-20, 10:44AM
Do staff have to be informed when a colleague tests positive for COVID this has happened but when a colleague found out they were told it was confidential information and it had to be kept secret and anyone talking about it would be given a let’s talk.

This happened at my store. 2 colleagues tested positive for covid-19 while at work. Sent home and the day continued like nothing ever happened, no other collegues were told as its a "privacy issue", but we all soon found out lol

NightAndDay

Quote from: as1284576 on 07-07-20, 10:57AM
Quote from: lalaland on 07-07-20, 10:44AM

This happened at my store. 2 colleagues tested positive for covid-19 while at work. Sent home and the day continued like nothing ever happened, no other collegues were told as its a "privacy issue", but we all soon found out lol

There's privacy issues and then there's exacting due dilligence on health and safety concerns, if 2 colleagues tested positive for COVID19, the shop should have been shut and employees told to go home due to the risk of infection. Normally health issues are a private matter unless it endangers the general public.

Chances are the mateyboy managers in question want to salvage their big 6, so they're misinforming everyone and keeping schtum.

Found this on ACAS website...

Multiple outbreaks in the workplace

If there is more than one case of COVID-19 associated with a workplace, employers should contact their local health protection team to report the suspected outbreak.

Find your local health protection team.

The heath protection team will:

undertake a risk assessmentprovide public health advicewhere necessary, establish a multi-agency incident management team to manage the outbreak

dotnochance

Yeah our store had no hand gel for weeks (or very little except for customers) union informed store manager that if  staff tested positive for corona, the whole store would need to be closed down and a deep clean preformed. Funnily enough the next day the store had loads of hand gel

Poolboy77

Has anyone on this tread actually read the briefing properly. I do wander. At no stage has it said Tesco is going less than 2 metres. The numbers quoted are completely wrong on here. If you had a capacity of 250 before it can only increase to 50% of it. That would be 125 by my maths. So that would be 375, 75 people below your incorrect calculation. Please read the briefing properly before you quote incorrect information which causes worry for staff than the actual process does

sammy

Sorry it was 300 before. It’s now gone up to 450.

miriam

I've been informed in my store all stickers on the floor with arrows and one way system to b removed today
I find this a bit concerning because not all who were shielding (extremely vulnerable) have returned to work
I feel They are a bit premeture in doing this

Anyone show light on why this is happening

dotnochance

Morris999

Quote from: miriam on 08-07-20, 08:59AM
I've been informed in my store all stickers on the floor with arrows and one way system to b removed today
I find this a bit concerning because not all who were shielding (extremely vulnerable) have returned to work
I feel They are a bit premeture in doing this

Anyone show light on why this is happening

Miriam, none of the shielding colleagues have returned to work yet, it’s only the vulnerable colleagues who are in the process of returning.
There’s a clear distinction between the two.
Now when the government shielding finishes on 1st August that’s when the extremely vulnerable(shielding not self-isolating) colleagues will return.
The company said it would be reviewed every 4 weeks, so we are expecting an update hopefully by the end of the week.

miriam

Morris999

Would it be better that guidelines for stores to keep in place until all have returned then the process can be shared amongst colleagues
All colleagues would feel better
Morris999
I might not put dots and crosses in right place but I do know what I've read

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk