News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:00PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 294
Total: 295

Lifestyle Breakl

Started by Penny, 24-09-11, 03:17PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny

Hi can anyone tell me what the process is for lifestyle break are you guarnanteed your job back same hours same dept? Thanks in advance

DairyLee

I think lifestyle break you are entitled to your job back, career break you arnt.

Penny

Thanks for reply yeah I knew you keep your job but wondered if you get same hours and same dept or can they change all your hours and days you work?

picktocube

No,you come back,to the same hours,dept and everything,you continue paying into pension and if you have SAYE these payments will be taken if you still have enough income coming in. maximum time off for lifestyle break is 12 weeks.

Penny

Thanks, thats what I thought, my son has just returned from working with under priviliged children for 12 weeks he had taken a lifestyle break and was planning on returning to work on Monday. He has now been told he will probably need to change his hours, dept and maybe even store. Anyone got any advice on what his next steps should be?

Nomad

If in a union get his rep involved and/or try to get a copy of the relevant document concerning Career breaks and lifestyle breaks.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

The Mrs

Found this

http://www.hrmagazine.co.uk/hr/features/1014432/benefits-study-tesco-a-break-life-balance

Quote.Employees must give a minimum of four weeks' notice, sometimes longer if it is at manager level, but they do not have to reveal why they are taking time out. They can take up to 12 weeks off, and when they return they go back to the same job, including hours, pay, and location. They are also entitled to the same benefits as they had before.

Penny

Hi thanks for all the info and help and the link.that link seems to confirm what he was told when he applied for lifestyle break. Think they are just trying to get another person off payroll and hope he goes quietly!!

Guest6622

angela84,
It seems that at your sons location the person he may be talking to is unaware of the relatively new option "The lifestyle Break" and maybe considering it as "Career Break".
It maybe worth considering your sons original application for "A Break". What process did he go through.
What was understood by both your son and management when the application was made and granted.
I would be saddened to see your son loose out on the rights of "The Lifestyle Break" if the process and application he has gone through was and is being considered as a "Career break".
From second hand experience of the Career break and some of the negatives that comes with it, both during and after it. I have tried looking for the company guide to both, to see if the process or events during (how share schemes or discount are treated in each case) are different which would inherently show how the company at your sons location viewed the application.
Alas there doesn't seem to be mention of "The Lifestyle Break" at www.peopleattesco.com, only "The Career Break" (which I find odd in over 3 years after its inception), it may be worth looking at as the application form for the later is on there, I hope he didn't fill that form in. If you compare that process and the one which has been formally announced and commented on by the company through HR magazine ( in the link from The Mrs) the two process are clearly different on the return to work.

You are using the Term "lifestyle Break" which is good as it suggests there is knowledge of it at your sons location.

I have a theory what maybe happening but it would be an assumption so I'll refrain from making it as others here don't seem to like such a thing.
A simple statement like "no, it was an application for the NEW Lifestyle break not a career break" may surfice, but due to the current climate be prepared to examine what happen within the process ( with the union) as proof that it should be considered what your son intended it to be and not a career break which is clearly different.

picktocube

I took a lifestyle break in 2010,when I applied,I received written confirmation of when I was off and the date to return,I also received a 3 page document which was titled "LIFESTYLE BREAK-OUR APPROACH" This listed all the details of how to apply and how the break is treated and what happened to different benefits. It clearly stated on this document that The employee returns to exactly the same job on the same terms and conditions as they left ,provided they return on the agreed date .You can tell the difference between a career break and a lifestyle break ,because a career break requires the employee to resign from the company,meaning that when they return to work they then have to re-qualify for certain benefits.Find out how this break has been managed and work from there.

Guest6622

That was my thoughts, I have no experience of the lifestyle break though.  :d:
Is the SAYE and Privilege card suspended, as in a Career break you lose the right to both, even if a career break form was filled in by mistake, how they treated the two the SAYE in particular could prove how the application was viewed as it is not suspended to resume on return with a career break.

This may be academic if angela84's son didn't have a SAYE plan.  :(

picktocube

No,i kept my privilege card and SAYE payments were taken as I had enough income coming in still as I am on annualised hours and there was enough holiday pay being paid to still take out my deductions.I must say that my line manager was not aware of a lifestyle break ,so he passed my request on to Personnel,who agreed it with my shift manager. On the last shift I was working,before taking my break,I told my line manager that I would see him in 8 weeks time and nobody knew that I would not be in  >:( , so I pulled out my letter,and said there you go ,I am off for 8 weeks. Apart from that everything went smoothly

Guest6622

Good so the privilege card is the key to how it was viewed and proof as the HR article says

QuoteAll 270,000 employees can apply for the benefit. Individuals fill out a form, which is then submitted to their line manager. Eligibility is based on length of service (one year minimum)

So he should/would of had one to be eligible, and how it was viewed would be dependant on whether it was suspended or not. :d:

Penny

Thanks for advice everyone. Just a liitle update.. my son has now returned to work he managed to find a copy of his holiday review form which clearly states he was on a lifestyle break which they were trying to dispute and saying they couldnt find any copies of any paperwork to say why he was off work. So so glad he had a copy. Really disappointed in Tesco and I always thought they were a reputable company to work for!

Nomad

angela84, good news indeed  :d:. May I offer the suggestion that while your son works for Tesco he keeps copies of as much as possible.

You know it make sense  ;)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Guest6622

Obviously a genuine mistake and not at all intentional. :-X

joviscot

I wanted to take a Lifestyle Break but was informed I can't due to my sick record - is this true?!??!

picktocube

Yes,to be eligible employees must:

Have 1 years continuous service with the company

Have an acceptable performance record and absence record for the previous year (Note:this may be relaxed if the lifestyle break could support the employee to resolve any personal issues).

Give as much notice as possible,but at least 4 weeks notice.

Gusrus

I'm in search of a bit of advice. On my current uni course it is advised we search out placements with engineering firms. I might have an opportunity to move away for three months in the summer to get the placement but I want to be able to come back to my job in tesco upon my return. Is there any rules in the lifestyle break that would prohibit me doing this.

picktocube

As far as I am aware there are no restrictions as to what you use the time for,just that you can't take more than 12 weeks leave.

Gusrus

The only other thing I can think of is that the company I would be doing doing a placement at may be paying me during my time there. I have heard if you take a career break you can't be employed by another company which rules out a career break but I can't find any information to see if this applies to a lifestyle break.

picktocube

I took a lifestyle break myself,and worked for the whole period,before applying for it I asked if this was Ok,and was told it was fine.

Gusrus

Cheers, this has helped a fair bit to know where I stand

Kadejah

Hi I just wanted to know, if I was to take a lifestyle break at the end of the time agreed do I have to return to the job??

Curious392

There's nothing forcing you to work for Tesco, whether you're on a lifestyle break or not, and there's no "you must work for us for x months after a lifestyle break" clause.

If you don't wish to return, just hand in your notice but please don't just not bother telling anyone. It's only fair on your existing colleagues that your manager has time to plan around you not returning.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk