Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 07:16AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,423
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 553
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 534
Total: 534

Any rumours on Magor redundancies ?

Started by JackGough, 24-06-20, 10:11PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickymouse1962

Mickymouse1962

Sherwoodforest

@mickeymouse1962 think the rumours are for depots not stores
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

dilligaf

Quote from: Mickymouse1962 on 21-01-24, 12:18PMI can hope
It's for DC's only with Legacy contracts, from what I've been told the offers are not great & very few are thinking of taking the offer...

belfast driver

Dilligaf a high percentage of Belfast warehouse have accepted the offer. Why wouldn't you? The legacy contract is no longer viable and they will do there best to get rid of it .
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

Robber

It's  called severance pay !!! Not redundancy

Ursus

Call it what you want, but if in 6 months they offer you a new contract for free or say goodbye, you won't win with their lawyers. >:(

Ursus

The letter says that for this deal to be implemented, an appropriate threshold must be reached, but they do not specify what percentage of employees must agree, so I think this is a game on Tesco's part.

Any threshold will be fine for them, I think they want to convince each other to leave.

ImBackBaby

If I were legacy I would take it and run. I have 17 years in the business and sadly its not being offered to me as I am not legacy. But if they offered it to me I would bite there hands off and jump the ship before it sinks.

hesketh

Tesco do not need to be making this offer at all. There are other routes they could be taking that would have a much less significant cost to them (I have heard estimates of £7 million). However Tesco have historically been fair, and even, generous regarding "redundancy" payments.

Tesco want rid of the legacy contract as it cannot be supported on the new payroll system. Therefore you must expect that not taking the offer will result in your contract being changed to the new Ts&Cs very shortly afterwards. If you work few weekends and work a lot of overtime this might not affect you much at all.

What needs to be considered is the result of not taking the offer. Personally, I would lose several thousands a year and will take the offer the moment it is offered to drivers.

Mickymouse1962

Hope it's stores as well would think so as a lot of stores have staff on these contracts

ImBackBaby

Quote from: Mickymouse1962 on 31-01-24, 08:34AMHope it's stores as well would think so as a lot of stores have staff on these contracts
All store colleagues are on the new 2022 contracts. You can thank USDAW for that one. This is distribution were different contracts, different levels off pay and different unions are involved.

Mickymouse1962

Quote from: ImBackBaby on 31-01-24, 09:20AM
Quote from: Mickymouse1962 on 31-01-24, 08:34AMHope it's stores as well would think so as a lot of stores have staff on these contracts
All store colleagues are on the new 2022 contracts. You can thank USDAW for that one. This is distribution were different contracts, different levels off pay and different unions are involved.
I am still on old contract sick from day 1 and all the other things

belfast driver

Hesketh how long do you think before they come after the drivers?

hesketh

I doubt that it will be this year. The process will take 3-4 months which would put us into the summer if they do it in the near future.

Although they claim to be over staffed, driver wise, in our depot they would still need to recruit if the take up is as big as I anticipate it being.

There is also the fact that they are basically using the pay out to offset taxes due on the extra money from Christmas.

I would be expect them to come for the drivers this time next year. Much easier to recruit from the agencies in the slack months and lots of Christmas cash to avoid paying tax on.

It really depends on how much longer they are prepared to pay for a payroll department that they don't need anymore. Tesco are not famous for doing their sums well ;)

belfast driver

Belfast is also over subscribed with drivers. Night shift sit about half the night.

Zx81

Just because a payroll system can't be adapted for  different contracts doesn't allow a company to change people onto new contracts, look at the Scottish ruling. I'm on Legacy and have been offered nothing as yet

Zx81

Quote from: Ursus on 26-01-24, 09:24PMCall it what you want, but if in 6 months they offer you a new contract for free or say goodbye, you won't win with their lawyers. >:(
livingston distribution won,if it was as easy as you say it would be done by now, however good the lawyers are rules are rules

hesketh

Livingston was a very different case.

Tesco would go to the courts to argue that it is not justifiable to operate an entire payroll system for a couple of hundred employees out of 30,000+.

Once they have achieved that number, by getting rid of the few thousand warehouse legacy staff, they have a very strong argument. As Ursus said, good luck with their lawyers ??? 

grim up north

So make the legacy staff redundant rather then voluntary severance?

grim up north

Quote from: hesketh on 01-02-24, 11:50AMLivingston was a very different case.

Tesco would go to the courts to argue that it is not justifiable to operate an entire payroll system for a couple of hundred employees out of 30,000+.

Once they have achieved that number, by getting rid of the few thousand warehouse legacy staff, they have a very strong argument. As Ursus said, good luck with their lawyers ??? 
All dc's are on different terms/conditions/pay already and will be even if everyone is on the newer contract so how would that argument stand up?

terra

Something like this happened before, and the people who refused the offer were given notice to terminated their employment and on the last day they were offered to stay but on the new contract. This was also to do with the introduction of a new payroll system and the old payments, Saturday premium etc, affected one person in the store I worked in, I believe that it eventually went to ET, and Tesco lost because they didn't introduce the new payroll system, this would be over 8 years ago

Ursus

it's interesting because most people in my depot will accept the offer and Tesco will lose a lot of experienced employees, but I don't think they will suddenly give another offer.It's hard to believe that it's just about the payroll system, they think we earn too much and they will save money by hiring new employees and our severance pay will quickly be made up.

hesketh

@grim up north
Staff aren't made redundant, jobs are. They cannot hire for 6 months to replace anyone given redundancy.
Whilst there are different contracts at different depots, only the legacy contract cannot be automated.

@terra
Tesco have cocked similar moves up many times before, but they have done their homework this time. They will have all the legal ducks lined up

@Ursus
Tesco don't value experience anymore. They have expensive computer systems and graduate managers now 8-)
They see older staff members as less productive and are looking to replace us with younger, faster and less troublesome models. The money is barely relevant.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk