News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:26PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 287
Total: 292

Meat & Dairy hours

Started by biggerpicture, 08-07-20, 08:53AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newguy20

Quote from: Redshoes on 24-09-20, 07:12AM
If the large stores go the same way as the small stores you will be doing many different roles in a day. This is the way things are going. Moving away from "that's not my job".

The thing is, IF it was implemented properly I can see the value in this... in utopia it makes sense. Really busy time on front end, staff come off filling to man a checkout for half an hour. Quieter evening, checkout staff go and de-card aisles and work capping shelves etc. Fred from Frozen has called in sick, well Bill from BWS can help out.
As long as everybody can ensure there's enough cover across the store so that things are done to an acceptable level and there's enough time to catch up later in the day.

BUT it just seems to be an excuse to cut hours back to the bare minimum and then some, so robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Result = people get fed up and leave, the staff who are putting the effort in stop caring because they're so exhausted every day, standards go down the toilet, then either A- they realise and increase the hours, B- they blame the staff and managers.

NightAndDay

A WL3 lead manager I know in a superstore is off sick with coronavirus, he has told me there are 60 members of staff self isolating in the superstore he works in leaving the store with 6 team managers and just the store manager with a handful of cas, this shows there's plenty of fat to cut in superstore formats, but also that the expectation that cas can be sectioned off to just one department and not multiskill is not something that's going to stay, superstores have had it cushty for far too long.

Redshoes

I once worked in a superstore that took more money and employed more people than the local extra. My store only has 110 colleague so if 60 were all off it would be more than 50% of colleagues. We do have a local store that has been it but stores in the group are supporting.
Nightandday has left the company. As such can only report on second or third hand knowledge from people he has stayed in touch with.

NightAndDay

While my knowledge of superstore is based off my knowledge in Express and what my superstore manager friends tell me, I'm still knowledgeable, convenience has had to multiskill since it's inception. In my 7 years in the company operational changes seldom happen, structural changes however seems to be what is constantly changing nowadays.

I've also managed to get managers fired due to my knowledge of policy and employment law.

Redshoes

You may be knowledgable but you have left the company, and a while ago. Having a friend who is a manager, regardless of the the format, is still only second hand experience. For example you have said on another thread that you have not experienced smart tills but replied to a till investigation issue.

NightAndDay

I have experienced smart tills, they don't require lifts as the notes are deposited into the safe connected to the till, so not relevent unless the safe is full and they have to do it the old way.

Yes I don't work for Tesco anymore, but my job does involve having to know how Retail operations work and does involve Tesco along with every other retailer.

Welshie

That is not how the Tesco smart tills work . You still do lifts as normal , you no longer do manual till checks , its weighs the money as it goes in and out of till so it can pinpoint the time of an issue but you also have a till check function so it can be till checked between users .

NightAndDay

Might just be in Express then, Lifts weren't done on smart tills as you'd put the denominations into the safe and keep £100-£200 in the till at most for change, only when the smart till was faulty or G4S hasn't picked up the money from safe when it's full would lifts be used. What you described is how they work other than the lift part though.

I'd imagine due to the volume of money in Superstore, lifts were still in place due to how long it would take to feed each note into the safe.

Redshoes

Large format stores are different. As explained above the smart tills weigh the money for every transaction and an error can be tracked to an individual, easily. PFS and main bank have different lift limits. More money is kept in tills for cash back, and on CSD for lottery paid outs etc
There are two lots of training for tills depending on the format, as the tills are so different.

Nomad

We're a long way from the OP.

Quote from: biggerpicture on 08-07-20, 08:53AM
How many people work on your meat & dairy section? I'm sure we don't have enough people. There are usually 6 of us in from 5 until 9 to do everything.
We have no night team so we fill in the morning. It's madness trying to fill whilst dot com are picking.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk