News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:17PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 293
Total: 297

Secondments

Started by trivi, 23-05-21, 09:47AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trivi

I've been asked to go on secondment for a year to cover a lifestyle break,it's a role I've not done before but if I didn't enjoy it would I be able to finish the secondment early or would I be stuck for thr year ?

Me2015

The secondment can be finished prior to full term by the firm, so no reason why it can't be done the other way!

Just be clear when you agree terms such as pay and hours ect, that a 3/4 week trial be instigated to ensure it suits both parties!

Nomad

And get it in writing, signed by MM.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

forrestgimp

There shouldnt be a problem so long as you make it clear before taking it up that's what you want to be able to do, oh and

this in spades.
Quote from: Nomad on 23-05-21, 08:10PM
And get it in writing, signed by MM.

Batmanjo

Quote from: trivi on 23-05-21, 09:47AM
I've been asked to go on secondment for a year to cover a lifestyle break,it's a role I've not done before but if I didn't enjoy it would I be able to finish the secondment early or would I be stuck for thr year ?

If you go on a Lifestyle break checkout the small print as I believe you maybe losing benefits and your time served at HMP so when you come back the T&C's of your contract may have changed and you come back as a newby ? always best to check 1st.

NightAndDay

Quote from: trivi on 23-05-21, 09:47AM

Secondments usually imply going into a more senior role to gain experience for it before potentially being placed in that role, similar to options but usually secondments are for jobs with "manager" in the title (while options can refer to both Shift Leaders and Management positions).

Personal experience tells me that they're trying to solve a business problem by persuading you to fill in. I would be weary of any promises of progression, though it will be good for your development providing you haven't done the role before, make sure they're not trying to dangle a carrot in front of you.

jago123

Clarify with your manager and let them know that if you don't feel suited to the position, and either parties do not feel the same way - that you can return to your previous position.
It should be fine - what you got to think is - your manager wouldn't have seconded you if they didn't think you were capable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk