News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:32PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 270
Total: 272

DotCom Shift Change Trials

Started by helpme, 16-06-19, 05:29PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helpme

Our lead manager has already made it clear they want the new system in place as it will mean the longer serving drivers leaving. They don't like the fact that we won't just keep our mouths shut and do as we're told.

fatboy

Some of the long serving drivers probably will leave but the problem will arise when they try to replace them.

gomezz

Why would any sane manager want to get rid of experienced drivers who get the job done in spite of all and move to an ever-revolving door of newbies who can't or won't hack it and are detrimental to the manager's performance assessment?  If the manager is doing the job properly then they will have no problem keeping the experienced drivers onside.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

NightAndDay

It's all part of the plan to reduce redundancy costs, the more long time servers they can get rid of through arbitrary performance measures, questionable procedures or "managing out the business" on departments they plan to streamline or cut off, the more money goes into the CEOs back pocket and the happier the shareholders.

helpme

Quote from: gomezz on 04-03-20, 08:27PM
Why would any sane manager want to get rid of experienced drivers who get the job done in spite of all and move to an ever-revolving door of newbies who can't or won't hack it and are detrimental to the manager's performance assessment?  If the manager is doing the job properly then they will have no problem keeping the experienced drivers onside.
They don't do the job properly. We are there to make them look good and help progress their career up the ladder. Refusing to take a van out as it needs tyres replacing is seen as sabotage and not being a team player. We should just salute and obey as far as they are concerned.

rogerthedodger

All gone quiet 🤐, I think the plan is ill thought out? They actually don't know what to do for the best lol  4 day working will be magic for most people but why would anybody want to be a manager or team leader when you could work 4 days?

MisterT

Any update regards the change of shifts and hours at any stores. Heard one in Glasgow is doing the new shift pattern 8 week rolling rota. 7-7 shift 12-10 shift 1900-2200 shift. 90 min lunch break. Why do it in some stores surely it's a matter of time for all stores.

vanguard

wondering that myself, i hope they bring it in.

sonic8610

1900 to 2200 shifts? I think that seems pointless as many stores have difficulty filling the four hour evening shifts, so three hour shifts will be a lot harder to fill.

Though it gives the question to people who don't like evenings and weekends - which would you rather do ???

dotnochance

So since the start of covid we have been starting at 4am every day, then a few months ago we went to monday-thursday normal hours but fri is 5-1 sat 4-11 and sunday 4-12 and its just been announced that we will be going back to normal hours everyday. At the weekend its a nightmake from 10am onwards with 50+ pickers on shop floor and customers you just cant move. Is there anyway to refuse going back to nomal hours since we have been doing it for over a year

forrestgimp

Ring the union and get some advice.

madness

Another trial ongoing.

12 hour days with 11 hours driving. instead of 10 hours shift and 9 hour driving and a different driver on the remaining 4 hours shift.
Unless all stores are different but I assume most run 4, 5 ,4 with maining the 4,5 being one shift

madness

Well after posting above i just reread the whole thread.
Looks like it was trialled before exactly the same and from the dates I suspect covid put a complete stop to it.
Trials in Tesco seem to become the norm and vans going out with bigger loads for longer reduces travel time from store to first drop and from last drop to store.

Looks like 11 hours of driving with a 1 hour break so just on the legal side.
I don't have a huge problem doing the hours but those with kids will have no home life and whos going to pick up overtime when its a mega long day?

gomezz

Bigger loads?

"We're gonna need a bigger van!"

???

gomezz

More seriously, if they want to get more use out of the vans they need to work out a way of not having them stand idle for an hour while the driver has their lunch break.  Which means drivers swapping vans between morning and afternoon with their afternoon van loaded by someone else.

sonic8610

It's probably due to them struggling to fill the shifts that not many drivers like - evenings and weekends.

The drivers who have these shifts are the ones who usually end up leaving. The drivers who work 3 or 4 days during the week without doing the evening shifts take up so much space, which leaves little wiggle room.

Plus you have other stores who do a rotating rota and have little issues with hiring drivers in. It's only a matter of time before Tesco follow suit, if the drivers don't like it then they'll know where the door is.

rogerthedodger

Quote from: madness on 25-02-24, 09:20PMAnother trial ongoing.

12 hour days with 11 hours driving. instead of 10 hours shift and 9 hour driving and a different driver on the remaining 4 hours shift.
Unless all stores are different but I assume most run 4, 5 ,4 with maining the 4,5 being one shift
Which area of the country is this?

gomezz

I am not seeing how this helps with recruiting drivers to cover evening shifts.  Shitty shifts on a dark, wet, cold winter evening are still shitty shifts no matter how you slice the pie.

rupert7

In England, if your employer wants to modify a term in your contract, it's referred to as a "variation of contract." They can only make changes under specific circumstances:

Mutual Agreement: You agree to the change.
Contractual Provision: Your contract explicitly allows certain changes (known as a "variation clause").
Legal Requirement: Changes due to legal reasons (e.g., National Minimum Wage adjustments).
Your employer should inform you in advance if they intend to use a variation clause. However, they cannot rely on it if the change is unreasonable or introduced without notice. For instance, if the change would significantly impact your caring responsibilities, it might be considered unreasonable1.

Remember, putting things in writing when discussing changes with your employer is advisable. If you're unhappy with a change and don't want to accept it, follow the appropriate steps to express your disagreement1.

Additionally, the Trade Union Congress (TUC) emphasizes that employers must provide written notification of contract changes within four weeks. An unauthorized, one-sided variation could breach your employment contract, even if you've been notified of the change2.

Ultimately, your rights depend on the specific circumstances, your contract, and applicable laws. If you have concerns, consider seeking advice from an employment adviser12.

grim up north

Quote from: gomezz on 27-02-24, 10:44AMI am not seeing how this helps with recruiting drivers to cover evening shifts.  Shitty shifts on a dark, wet, cold winter evening are still shitty shifts no matter how you slice the pie.
Perhaps if they had more drivers, they could all do one evening shift per week or something, rather than just a few doing all of them?

rupert7

tesco is changing things but the work force is not being consulted, its happening every day,and now timeing people in how long it takes them to do a tasks, where will it end.?

sonic8610

Tesco will always prioritise the needs of the business over the needs of the drivers, so if they want to implement this in every dotcom then they will do it.

1982dave

My store one morning afternoon 4-5 drivers over evening the same the next day shift leaders are out driving because they're short the drivers would have a heart attack in my store if this was pushed

Sambuca999

Quote from: fatboy on 29-06-19, 07:17AMGB domestic driving laws say you can only be on duty for 11 hours in a 24 hour period so 12 hour shifts cant be done.
breaks are not included in this so it can be done our store does driving 9am till 10pm 4 days a week we are only store that does it I belive

sonic8610

How many drivers like the 9am to 10pm shifts, and do they struggle with keeping drivers there?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk