News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:06AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 170
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

3rd August 2020

Started by chris9997, 25-07-20, 04:00PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seymee

We've been told F&F will be closing their fitting rooms at 5pm  daily now even though the department will stay open until 10pm which seems bizarre and that GM will be closing at 8pm every evening. No idea how they plan to fence off GM from the rest of the store. Doesn't sound like any of it has been thought through.

King1999

Sounds completely logical, they are idiots.🙄

wizard

Calvin 93 what size store are you please robe shutting gm at 8 ?

Seymee

we are an extra, that is what makes it even more bizarre

fatboy

So much for a big announcement  8-)

King1999

Doesn’t it normally get leaked first 🤨

kaled78

the only change in my store besides the deli not re-opening was hours cut on gm and newspapers hours,so I guess these changes were store specific

Seymee

Our clothing F&F section has ended up being 100 over. No one seems to know how that is possible. So they will need to find new departments for at least four of the staff who work there I think and with every department other than dot com being over as well I cant see how it will work.

londoner83

think they are counting on fact thaf come Sept a lot of colleagues leave to start college, uni or full time jobs. Can't see any recruitment being allowed

King1999

Stores won’t be able to function get the popcorn ready👌.

Checkout Superstar

Every department in our store is over apart from stock control. Which as everyone knows is the worst job in the store and the job where they only send those who are seen as weaklings.

The whole no redundancy thing is a lie. They are going to put people into consultation and if they don't take refused hours they will be gone. That's how it is. They want everyone on flexis so if you aren't on a flexis you are who this is all aimed at.

lucgeo

Err....think you may want to rephrase your comment about stock control staff  :thumbdown:

I was a stockie, so if you think lugging stock on and off capping shelves, working a full cage of any dept, counting stock in a freezing warehouse at 5 am, with only the thought of a hot cooked brekkie in 3 hours to keep you going, covering checkout calls ( the only time you get to sit down whilst working) watching them sneak their staff off for their breaks first, who's shift started hours after you, rumble, then getting it in the neck if you haven't finished your routines at the end of play..I suggest you go give it a try, see how long you last  ???

Weaklings....my arse  >:( >:( >:(
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

King1999

Quote from: Checkout Superstar on 13-08-20, 11:33AM
Every department in our store is over apart from stock control. Which as everyone knows is the worst job in the store and the job where they only send those who are seen as weaklings.

The whole no redundancy thing is a lie. They are going to put people into consultation and if they don't take refused hours they will be gone. That's how it is. They want everyone on flexis so if you aren't on a flexis you are who this is all aimed at.

Sounds like you were too weak for stock control.

newguy20

All departments over except dotcom and PFS here I think. 600 hours in total to be lost I think... 20 staff.

Staff being shuffled around left/right/centre with an assurance that there will be no redundancies, plan is to put a lot of them into dotcom to soak up the hours. Or if they are on old contracts and won't change then move others into dotcom and backfill with them.

Which essentially means a lot of upheaval and grief... personally I think they are hoping that people will dislike being moved around and will quit.

That being said though I was talking to somebody who for about a year now has been trying to reduce their hours for family reasons and is told that they can't as there's nobody to take their shifts.....?!

As said above I assume a certain number will leave around September due to uni/college etc although with the current economic situation turnover right down (apparently on average people leaving accounts for 250 hours in 3 months, in that time we have lost 60....)

Monkeyman999

They won’t do redundancy Covid has give them the excuse not too and legally they don’t have too bakers were the last of the lucky ones

chris9997

Moving people around the store is just a paper shuffle job, In the past where a dept is over hours on a particular day / hour all they have done is transfered someone on paper to balance the depts although now with the tablet this may be more difficult.
In reality surely it's all about reducing payroll.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Monkeyman999 on 13-08-20, 10:28PM
They won’t do redundancy Covid has give them the excuse not too and legally they don’t have too bakers were the last of the lucky ones

If contracted hours are reduced and different times of work are being mandated then unless its agreed with by the effected they are entitled to redundancy unless they can provide changes that pass the reasonability test.

barafear

with reference to the previous comment about flexi contracts, that does seem to be the vibe at our store too.
I'm not on a flexi contract - I have not been asked recently to go onto a flexi contract - in the past few years when we've had pay increases implemented and this has created an updated contract I have noticed they've tried to switch me to flexi without asking/informing.

So the bottom line is:

Let's say my current contracted hours are Monday 900-1700 and Friday 900-1700.

If they asked/tried to force me to go to a flexi contract and I simply indicated my availability was the above hours, what difference would it make?

lucgeo

They can ask  :D

Any attempt to force or change contract to flexi without your knowledge is against T&Cs and should be grievanced as such, under that heading.

Seymee

The rumours at our store are also about wanting everyone on flexis. Going to be interesting to see what trick they pull to get people on 30 hours to go down to 15 hour flexis but if they aren't making redundancies and need to lose hours its the only logical option.

Hammer10

Surely Acas should be looking into Tesco practises,I think the main reason so many cut backs is because they are going to lose the court cases between stores and distribution and the pay difference.

lucgeo

Quote from: newguy20 on 13-08-20, 06:15PM
All departments over except dotcom and PFS here I think. 600 hours in total to be lost I think... 20 staff.

Staff being shuffled around left/right/centre with an assurance that there will be no redundancies, plan is to put a lot of them into dotcom to soak up the hours. Or if they are on old contracts and won't change then move others into dotcom and backfill with them.

Which essentially means a lot of upheaval and grief... personally I think they are hoping that people will dislike being moved around and will quit.

That being said though I was talking to somebody who for about a year now has been trying to reduce their hours for family reasons and is told that they can't as there's nobody to take their shifts.....?!

As said above I assume a certain number will leave around September due to uni/college etc although with the current economic situation turnover right down (apparently on average people leaving accounts for 250 hours in 3 months, in that time we have lost 60....)

Assurance of redundancies is their way to kid people that redundancy isn't an option.
If they can't offer you your present contracted hours or match your availability, without your agreement to either take a drop in hours or change your availability,then it is a redundancy situation.

RHRP is a tweaking of hours, and a two hour window either side would not be deemed unreasonable. So if you were to accept a shift change this time, there is nothing to stop them tweaking your new hours in a couple of months. Also check your new contract before signing, ensure that a change of contract hasn't been slipped in i.e. permanent to flexi.

Seymee

My department is going to be horrendous next week. We have one group of 19 - 30 year olds and a second group of 40 to 60+

the second group are all on 30 hours. the first group all flexis, but the second group are not going to give up hours or move department without a fight so us flexis are probably going to be the ones screwed over unless management realise we are more viable to the department than they are.

Katarn2000

They should just pay people on flexis an extra £1 per hour. Problem solved.

penguin

How would that solve anything at all, why should people on older contracts be paid less than those on newer contracts
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk