Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:33AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 282
Total: 283

Self Isolation - Flexi Contracts

Started by CeJay89, 25-03-20, 06:09PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CeJay89

If I were to follow government advice I should self isolate for 12 weeks as I'm in the vulnerable category being both asthmatic and diabetic, however I’m on a flexi contract, contracted for 15 hours a week, but most weeks I pick up any overtime I can and end up working 35-40 hours in total.

I got the email from Tesco last week stating the vulnerable colleagues aren’t required to attend work for the next 12 weeks and will be fully paid.  That’s wonderful if you’re contracted a decent amount of hours. For me, I just cannot survive on the pay of my core hours; I earn at least double that a month.  So I feel like I’m having to prioritise money over health at the moment.  At least when you take a weeks holiday you get paid an average.

Sorry for the rant, I know everyone is going through a hard time at the moment, I'm just so overwhelmed by the situation and the awful day I've had at work.

Welshie

Have you ask how it is worked out for flexi -contracts , is it definitely just the 15hrs you'd be paid for ? Would you then be able to claim universal credit? Your health should come first

Redshoes

Any pre-booked holidays remain, even if more than the two wks. If no holidays within these twelve wks two wks must must be part of this. As holiday is now paid an average of past 52 wks you will be paid normal holiday rates for these wks. Not sure about the rest, agree this needs clarification but health comes first.

CeJay89

My manager clarified that only core hours will be paid for flexis

Fixxer

Apologies for posting in this topic, I couldn't create a new one so this seemed most relevant.

Has anyone had any experience with a forced 14 day isolation due to non elective day surgery?
I went to the doctors about a mole which had changed appearance quite drastically over a few months and have been told that I need to have it removed for biopsy, which is about a  30 minute procedure.

Only issue is that if you go in for any procedure that involves a bit of the old slicing you need to self isolate for 14 days before hand, regardless of if you have any symptoms or not.

Normally I'd be quite happy to have a 30 min op and then go into work that night (I work nights) but I'm not being given the choice here. I've been told to speak to my manager about it but they are off for the next week and I'm expecting any time in the next 7 days to be told to self isolate for the upcoming 14 days before the procedure - it could even be this afternoon I get the call.

Am I likely to be forced to take it as leave or is there something in place? I obviously won't be getting a test kit as I don't need one - I've got to self isolate for 14 days regardless of if I'm well or not.

Any help appreciated.

lucgeo

I would imagine it would be under the same terms as any employee being given notice to self isolate...what are the rules around possible infected colleagues taking self isolation?

With regard the op, the day of the op is paid, as is any recuperating time needed away from work. It is not subject to the three day rule...so if the hospital recommends a day or two off work, it should be paid and coded differently to the self isolating code.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

Adding to the above, you can arrange this with any manager, and there should be a manager covering your dept whilst your own manager is absent.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Fixxer

At our store, if it's policy or not I don't know, it's order the test kit before you call off sick. Once you've got the results you either come back in as clear or SSP if not - I think that's right now?

Either way I guess I'll only get paid for hospital day as I'm flexi with only a few core hours so not entitled to SSP anyway as my core hours are less than SSP would pay and therefore going off sick offers a financial incentive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk