News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:17PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,120
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 283
Total: 288

Cold chain break ?

Started by Nomad, 29-09-20, 10:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you seen cold chain broken ?

Never
18 (4.8%)
Regularly
307 (81.9%)
Occasionally
50 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 354

lucgeo

Quote from: Redshoes on 21-10-20, 11:00AM
Many years ago we were told we were moving to "one touch fill", still waiting.
Additional stock will come in for promotions. It can also be a mistake or as a result of poor routines. There is a long, long list of reasons that this happens but we need to react to it in the right way. Ask someone from stock control to investigate, if book stocks are not correct that is the starting point to correct but it could be capacities etc.

Many years ago...stock control did what it said on the tin..maintained the store stock, ordered stock in for the store, monitored un/popular lines and reduced/increased capacity accordingly...worked hand in hand with the merchandising team...ordered stock in for customers...and had a damn more staff than they do now, all mainly full time. Daily routines were maintained, and allowed to get on with them, all hands was only ever at Easter/ Christmas periods, and the stock control routines were suspended for the team to support.
Then it all went downhill about 10 years ago...managers started interfering in the book stocks, when shrink became the number 1 new black...treasure hunting was a joke...you arrived in the morning to find all the stock records you had inputted the previous day, had been messed about with and managers denying all knowledge...stock you had wiped off was put back on, as " I've seen it in the warehouse" yeah? So where is it then and why isn't it out? So again the next day it's on your gapscan...no sign...told " don't gap it, it's in the back" reply " it's a gap scan routine, to scan gaps, either put it out, tell me where it is, or admit you ain't got it!"
End of promotion...all overstock taken off shelves and put in green trays a mile high and randomly dumped in the warehouse...how anyone supposed to see, never mind count everything in the trays.
Discontinued...routine was to take label off, map shelf  and put new labels out...reality, take labels off, if time (HA) map and put new labels out...but you'll mainly  find that labels either don't print off, empty drawers, no paper, or someone else has already mapped same facings, but not put labels out, so the labels don't print, as the facings  entered have already been entered but new labels not replaced old. Zero all discontinued labels, so that dot com availability is updated!
BUT NO!! Hours were dropped throughout store, checkout support deemed a priority, all hands and rumble, and your lucky to have a good 2 hours daily on your own routines.
So I wouldn't advise you to go to stock control and request they investigate...or worse...enquire if they are doing their job and routines correctly...if they're on top of the bookstocks and capacities?...that really isn't reacting in the correct way!! Trust me!!
I'd suggest you enquire to any manager to investigate...every manager, even checkout, should know how to do this...guarantee they don't...or better still, if the SM is getting on your case, ask for help in finding a certain section of investigation on the PDA!! HA!! ;D ;D
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Mr ford

Chilled and frozen cages are left out regularly. This has been happening for years.

specialgravy

express i worked in had room in the fridge for 8 cages. on any given day, 3 cage spaces were occupied by milk, 2 by fresh backstock and 1 by the waste cage leaving 2. an average fresh drop was 8 cages and that would have 1 person dedicated to working it and 1 working/covering till ( mostly, they were on a till 8-) ) it doesnt take a genius to figure out the cold chain was an unachievable fantasy! i was quick, but not that quick!!! not too concerning in the winter when the back areas were pretty cool but in the summer.......yeah, you really dont want to be eating a prawn sarnie to be honest :D

VladPutin

Happens every single day of Christmas week in my store. I remember once when we had a ridiculous amount of stock even by X mas standards; the cages and dollies we couldn't cram into the chill was left in the back yard. To be fair, it was quite chilly out there... ;D

oldfashionedplayer

everytime been through protector line with it, response we get is "all procedures have been followed, the areas in question due to being opened can allow the products to remain in this area for a lengthier period of time" - always the same bull**** with it,

yes frozens closed doors are all making enough cold air for the products to stop defrosting, and chilled products on the aisle are perfectly fine from 10pm to 7am and won't be warm? usually warm after an hour on it.... lol

Munchkin

Your wasting your time with protector line regarding this issue log times and dates for a short time and contact environmental health dept of your local council

VladPutin

Quote from: lucgeo on 23-10-20, 05:23PM
Quote from: Redshoes on 21-10-20, 11:00AM
Many years ago we were told we were moving to "one touch fill", still waiting.
Additional stock will come in for promotions. It can also be a mistake or as a result of poor routines. There is a long, long list of reasons that this happens but we need to react to it in the right way. Ask someone from stock control to investigate, if book stocks are not correct that is the starting point to correct but it could be capacities etc.

Many years ago...stock control did what it said on the tin..maintained the store stock, ordered stock in for the store, monitored un/popular lines and reduced/increased capacity accordingly...worked hand in hand with the merchandising team...ordered stock in for customers...and had a damn more staff than they do now, all mainly full time. Daily routines were maintained, and allowed to get on with them, all hands was only ever at Easter/ Christmas periods, and the stock control routines were suspended for the team to support.
Then it all went downhill about 10 years ago...managers started interfering in the book stocks, when shrink became the number 1 new black...treasure hunting was a joke...you arrived in the morning to find all the stock records you had inputted the previous day, had been messed about with and managers denying all knowledge...stock you had wiped off was put back on, as " I've seen it in the warehouse" yeah? So where is it then and why isn't it out? So again the next day it's on your gapscan...no sign...told " don't gap it, it's in the back" reply " it's a gap scan routine, to scan gaps, either put it out, tell me where it is, or admit you ain't got it!"
End of promotion...all overstock taken off shelves and put in green trays a mile high and randomly dumped in the warehouse...how anyone supposed to see, never mind count everything in the trays.
Discontinued...routine was to take label off, map shelf  and put new labels out...reality, take labels off, if time (HA) map and put new labels out...but you'll mainly  find that labels either don't print off, empty drawers, no paper, or someone else has already mapped same facings, but not put labels out, so the labels don't print, as the facings  entered have already been entered but new labels not replaced old. Zero all discontinued labels, so that dot com availability is updated!
BUT NO!! Hours were dropped throughout store, checkout support deemed a priority, all hands and rumble, and your lucky to have a good 2 hours daily on your own routines.
So I wouldn't advise you to go to stock control and request they investigate...or worse...enquire if they are doing their job and routines correctly...if they're on top of the bookstocks and capacities?...that really isn't reacting in the correct way!! Trust me!!
I'd suggest you enquire to any manager to investigate...every manager, even checkout, should know how to do this...guarantee they don't...or better still, if the SM is getting on your case, ask for help in finding a certain section of investigation on the PDA!! HA!! ;D ;D

Stock Control used to be an essential part of Fresh. If you had a problem with stock levels, you could take it to SC, who back in the Good Old Days, had direct power to change levels on most lines.

Then some morons at head office, who have obviously never done a real day's work in their lives, decided to set up Centre. SC lost all ability to directly influence stock levels, and Fresh departments are regularly stuck with either too much or too little stock.

I was one of those stock controllers, saw the writing on the wall when HO started ordering centrally and retrained on Wages. The very first Xmas with everything done centrally was a total disaster in my store, They made no effort to do orders which suited all the areas of the Company, e.g North East, South East, Norfolk, Scotland, etc. All areas have their own Xmas traditions and Xmas food needs. I had 15 years worth of experience and paper records showing my store's requirements but despite all that knowledge HO knew better. We lost more customers to all the other supermarkets that year due to the total lack of stock which were traditional to them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk