Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:21AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 284
Total: 288

Team Managers about to get demoted-lose pay!

Started by markwinters, 29-12-22, 11:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatajoke2019

In terms of the shift leader role for those stores that have had them for some time, do you still get lumbered with say, filling fruit & veg and sitting on a checkout etc?

Absolutely no interest/desire myself but some of the people in my store who are interested seem to think it's going to be a walk in the park  :D

Davethebave

We've had them for some time. They get all the lates, and yes they are expected to pack an aisle if grocery are short, fill fresh in the mornings if they are lucky enough to get an early shift, cover front end breaks, do front end close down at night if no one in they do it etc etc

General Thorn

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 03-02-23, 02:13PMIn terms of the shift leader role for those stores that have had them for some time, do you still get lumbered with say, filling fruit & veg and sitting on a checkout etc?

Absolutely no interest/desire myself but some of the people in my store who are interested seem to think it's going to be a walk in the park  :D

We've had shift leaders for a while now and they are duty managers, open up early, close down lates, fill shelves, sit on tills, run self scan, serve in CSD, work shifts that need covered, unload wagons, come in on days off, do labels etc etc. In general they are just dogsbodies doing whatever needs done.

BenPvfc

Sounds like a good job to be fair, would never get bored.

Prince of Darkness

Quote from: General Thorn on 03-02-23, 07:43PMWe've had shift leaders for a while now and they are duty managers, open up early, close down lates, fill shelves, sit on tills, run self scan, serve in CSD, work shifts that need covered, unload wagons, come in on days off, do labels etc etc. In general they are just dogsbodies doing whatever needs done.

Ours are mostly filling, labels as required, plus signing in visitors & welcome backs. Never on a till/CSD/Self serve except one who is ex Aldi where, like Lidl and Express, they all do everything and don't pull the not my department card  :-X

Davethebave

FYI

For any managers considering the drop down to shift leader rather than redundancy:

There is a buyout calculator on colleague help that will show you your buyout figure for stepping down. This is the calculator they will use during consultation. Again this is capped at 25% of a difference.

Working Sundays is NOT required to be a shift leader, policy was updated not too long ago to state that shift leaders CAN opt out of Sunday working. The only downside is they don't have to guarantee you hours during the week to make up for you not doing a Sunday.

Each store will be different based on what shift leaders will get put in etc not sure if they have to match a managers 36 hours or not might be down to the individual to discuss that.

*you have to use stored desktop to access the calculator via store apps (same way you get into store email)
Hopefully someone finds this useful 😂

Bobmay

Quote from: Davethebave on 04-02-23, 09:23AMFYI

For any managers considering the drop down to shift leader rather than redundancy:

There is a buyout calculator on colleague help that will show you your buyout figure for stepping down. This is the calculator they will use during consultation. Again this is capped at 25% of a difference.

Working Sundays is NOT required to be a shift leader, policy was updated not too long ago to state that shift leaders CAN opt out of Sunday working. The only downside is they don't have to guarantee you hours during the week to make up for you not doing a Sunday.

Each store will be different based on what shift leaders will get put in etc not sure if they have to match a managers 36 hours or not might be down to the individual to discuss that.

*you have to use stored desktop to access the calculator via store apps (same way you get into store email)
Hopefully someone finds this useful 😂

If  managers step down to shift leaders they might not get Sunday premiums

Davethebave

I'll have to double check that one but I'm almost certain that the small print of that one is for 'new to the business colleagues' only.
A manager stepping down isn't a new to the business colleague,  just changing role.

whatajoke2019

Also pretty sure that the no Sunday premiums only applies to new starters post July 24th '22 as well as any colleagues underneath TUPE.

Thanks for the replies re: what shift leaders do.

Might bring down the ones who are acting like they've got it already a peg or two when they realise it isn't the walk in the park they think it is  :D

Hammer10

The new shift leader role says in the pack not to do the task but to give tasks to staff .

inthemix

Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).   Admin.

Pack? Do you have a link to the shift leader job description please?

BritishRacingGreen

Quote from: Hammer10 on 04-02-23, 03:00PMThe new shift leader role says in the pack not to do the task but to give tasks to staff .
What staff ...? The couple on the shop floor are totally overwhelmed as it is.

Morris999

It's either on Colleague help or Tesco help, cannot remember which one.
It's been on there for a few years along with the Team manager packs too!

I recommend anyone who is at risk or job matched to actually read it before making any decisions and not just go on whatever you are told by the SM!

takethemoneyandrun

Quote from: Checkout Superstar on 03-02-23, 07:22AM:D There are managers in my store who don't even understand shrink. Its a mystery how some of these people got signed off to be honest.

I was told by my manager that nobody is bothered by shrink now...
Most of our stock goes out the front door with the looters...
Just come in fill their bags, while we can only stand and watch them, as we have been told that if we intervene we will be disciplined. We have no security till 4pm..

takethemoneyandrun

Quote from: Checkout Superstar on 03-02-23, 07:28AMExtras and Superstores will *always* need a HR department. So admin colleagues shouldn't worry just yet. I think the wages clerk will cease to exist at some point however especially if the new manager position means them and them alone making sure their staff are paid correctly...

What is a success in some stores will be a disaster in others. It will all come down to manager competence. 

Our admin went with the new structure change
We have
SM
2 line managers
4 shift leaders
We are a SS...
1 line manager has grocery,frozen,ws,bakery,dairy,produce,stock control and PI.
2nd line manager has chk out and cash office...how is that fair??

kaled78

Interesting that in that shift leader role pack, it now states that it is their job to clean the canteen.

Rumblerumble

Quote from: takethemoneyandrun on 05-02-23, 07:22AM
Quote from: Checkout Superstar on 03-02-23, 07:28AMExtras and Superstores will *always* need a HR department. So admin colleagues shouldn't worry just yet. I think the wages clerk will cease to exist at some point however especially if the new manager position means them and them alone making sure their staff are paid correctly...

What is a success in some stores will be a disaster in others. It will all come down to manager competence. 

Our admin went with the new structure change
We have
SM
2 line managers
4 shift leaders
We are a SS...
1 line manager has grocery,frozen,ws,bakery,dairy,produce,stock control and PI.
2nd line manager has chk out and cash office...how is that fair??

It goes on headcount, not departmetns

Redshoes

We don't have an admin in our SS either. Wages clerk has stepped in to do inductions, not that we have many of them. Lots of stores have colleagues who do both cash office and wages.
I'm wondering if licence holder could score points. We have two managers that are licence holders and that is needed for the store and they need to form part of the inductions too. In a previous store I was in the SM liked to attend inductions and do the licence holder part, it was her way of getting to know the new colleagues.

randomworker

Quote from: takethemoneyandrun on 05-02-23, 07:14AM
Quote from: Checkout Superstar on 03-02-23, 07:22AM:D There are managers in my store who don't even understand shrink. Its a mystery how some of these people got signed off to be honest.

Just come in fill their bags, while we can only stand and watch them, as we have been told that if we intervene we will be disciplined. We have no security till 4pm..

Such a great manager you have there and no wonder managers have a target on their backs when you have numpties like that in charge. Oh and with such a dramatic description of how your locals shop in your store I would expect your store is making a lose and have it shut down  8-)

forrestgimp

Quote from: Redshoes on 03-02-23, 08:24AMThe fact that the criteria is still being finalised suggests that there are point still in discussion. It should have all been in place by now.

Length of service is unlikely as it has potential to target an age group.
Managers will manage roughly 816 hours each divided up by head count.
By the fact that they are managers they should have proven record of being able to adapt and learn new tasks. Depending on who stays there may or may not be learning curves but the day to day running of shop floor goes to shift lead. Being able to work together will be critical.

Type 'last in first out' into google and at the very top of the results is the government page saying th exact opposite of what you wrote.

QuoteCan last in first out be used in redundancy?
Your employer should use a fair and objective way of selecting you for redundancy. Commonly used methods are: last in, first out (employees with the shortest length of service are selected first)

link is here.  https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights/being-selected-for-redundancy

I mean come on even a 5 second look would have shown you that you are wrong.

panther

Quote from: takethemoneyandrun on 05-02-23, 07:14AM

Most of the stock we lose doesn't come into the building!
I'm an F&F GM SL, and fully expect my role to change. And if I leave, my position will be no longer available.

forrestgimp

I have said the same for years, how when a cage has hundreds of items on it and not a single check do we know for sure what distribution says we got we actually got? When I asked the store manager many many years ago he replied it didn't matter because they stuff was in the business just not with us.

Yes each cage is checked on the manifesto but that cage could have nothing on it that's supposed to be on it an no one would have a clue.

penguin

Store manager is a total idiot saying that, ultimately shrink in his store sits with him and stuff not turning up in the first place causes more than its fare share of it.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Ulsterlass

Any ideas what the criteria will contain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk