Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:36AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 237
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 234
Total: 237

Shift Leader - Breaks & No security guards in morning.

Started by Youngmod93, 11-06-19, 11:57PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrestgimp

Its not about what you are asking them to do is it, You are a runner you want lunch you want someone to cover your job and they get paid to do so.

Why does it matter to you that they dont get it? Does it impact your self worth that they are getting a quid or 2 more for that hour.

checkoutmonkey

I'm sorry, I think my last few posts haven't come across the way I intended. I absolutely believe personally that there should be some kind of additional payment for covering a break.

All I'm trying to say is, under the current policy, I don't believe that doing so technically qualifies for a skills payment according to Tesco because they are not covering the whole role, just one aspect of it. It's a grey area for sure, something that I'm sure they purposefully made ambiguous to get away with not paying people extra. All I can say is that's how the policy reads to me personally, and also to every checkout manager I've ever had

lucgeo

Quote from: checkoutmonkey on 19-08-19, 03:18PM
I am aware of the skills payment policy, but the wording of is rather vague. It's not specified what specifically justifies the payment. A Team Support does way more than just run the line, which is all we'd ever ask GAs to do when on break. Of course if that GA is also doing the change runs and training and what not then I'd absolutely ensure they get the extra payment and indeed there have been times where I've fought my manager because I believe it has been deserved when he has not.

but saying they are entitled to the full rate for doing just a fraction of my workload for an hour and having 0 accountability doesn't seem correct, and no store that I've worked in since the skill payment was introduced (there's been a few) has ever paid the skills payment to a GA unless they are actually covering the full role

I think it does specifically state the minimum time that a lower grade covers on a higher grade dept, I don't find that vague? An hour for your break is only a fraction of your workday, so therefore a fraction of your workload for that hour. If the GA is covering for longer, then they would do the work allocated for that part of the day...GA's can, and do, do the change run, but as for training, rota's etc...policy dictates they are not allowed, or signed off to do these tasks, so it's not really up to you to be asking or expecting them to do them. I for one would grievance any GA having access to my contact details for overtime request, my contract, or expecting me to sign off training done by a GA.

You shouldn't need to be in conflict with your manager regarding payment...it comes down to time specifics, not whether either of you decide to them being deserving enough :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

checkoutmonkey

Like I said, my last few messaged had some very poor word choice.

It's not that we disagreed over whether the payment was deserved, but whether it was qualified for. It seems that in your eyes it's extremely clear cut that covering an hours break = fulfilling the job role for an hour and thus warranting the skills payment. Honestly if that's the case in your store then it sounds amazing and I want a transfer  :D but I think we all realise things don't always turn out that way.

This is a bit of a hypothetical, but say a GA covers an hours break on CSD, but does not have Supervisor access or a logon to F11, so essentially is only serving Lottery and Tobacco for an hour. Do they qualify for the skills payment then? Because they are covering a higher grade role after all, even though they are essentially just serving on a checkout.

NightAndDay

I believe I read somewhere a while ago that to be able to "step up" to a role to begin with you'd need to be able to do 80% of the required responsibilities of the role you're covering.

A more realistic example is a ca stepping up to shift leader in Express, they can do enough to be functional in the role but not to carry out things like return to works, lets talks etc, so they don't get the full wage.

lucgeo

Quote from: checkoutmonkey on 19-08-19, 04:06PM
Like I said, my last few messaged had some very poor word choice.

It's not that we disagreed over whether the payment was deserved, but whether it was qualified for. It seems that in your eyes it's extremely clear cut that covering an hours break = fulfilling the job role for an hour and thus warranting the skills payment. Honestly if that's the case in your store then it sounds amazing and I want a transfer  :D but I think we all realise things don't always turn out that way.

This is a bit of a hypothetical, but say a GA covers an hours break on CSD, but does not have Supervisor access or a logon to F11, so essentially is only serving Lottery and Tobacco for an hour. Do they qualify for the skills payment then? Because they are covering a higher grade role after all, even though they are essentially just serving on a checkout.

Why would you put someone on a dept without proper training, and no access to relevant hardware to serve the customers ? It would just put that colleague under undue pressure and cause a very long queue, especially if they had been left on there on their own, ( which should not be the case ) without support! What does that acheive?

I no longer have a store, I was made redundant, but I was a bloody good rep, and your idea of what a GA should do to warrant the higher payment, I wouldn't need to hunt for loopholes in any disciplinary...A GA trained and signed your training card off??...Case dismissed..A GA authorised your holidays and the manager cancelled them after you'd booked??...holidays granted...A GA had access to your personal details to contact you for overtime??..grievance against manager etc...etc...

Is it your opinion, the higher pay should be tasks specific and not time specific, and to just cover your break for an hour does not warrant the payment, as it does not carry the responsibilities that you receive the higher grade for??
So...hypothetically, during that hour if the GA cocks up big time, which results in an investigation for possible gross misconduct, do you take the responsibility for that, or do you straight away say that you were on your break, not down to you, and just throw that GA under the bus ???

lucgeo

Oh and incidentally, every GA was paid the higher skills payment, for covering a higher grade role, for the time specified, at my old store, no argument  :thumbup:

Fair play

Quote from: checkoutmonkey on 19-08-19, 03:43PM
I'm sorry, I think my last few posts haven't come across the way I intended. I absolutely believe personally that there should be some kind of additional payment for covering a break.

All I'm trying to say is, under the current policy, I don't believe that doing so technically qualifies for a skills payment according to Tesco because they are not covering the whole role, just one aspect of it. It's a grey area for sure, something that I'm sure they purposefully made ambiguous to get away with not paying people extra. All I can say is that's how the policy reads to me personally, and also to every checkout manager I've ever had

As a rep I can assure you they do get the skills payment for covering your break if it's an hour or more . I know because I had to fight this policy for several staff and had to get confirmation from Tesco support that this was the case . Everyone in our store now gets it

checkoutmonkey

My opinion falls somewhere in the middle. First of all I should clarify that I'd never expect or condone a GA to do ANY of the things you mentioned ie booking holidays etc. I guess yeah in a way I think the skills payment should be more task specific, ie what about those roles actually warrants the skills payment in the first place but I accept that that would make the whole system very complicated.

My personal thought is that there should be a break cover payment paid in these instances...maybe set at 90% of the hourly rate of the role they're covering. Of course when doing break cover the GAs do accept some extra responsibility and they should be compensated for that, but the fact remains that as you said, the fact that they are not signed off to perform the job role fully means that paying them the full rate doesn't totally make sense to me, from a totally pragmatic  point of view.

Also I'd never throw a GA under the bus. Like I said, I'd always inform the Duty Manager that I need a break, and give them the option to come down (or send another manager down) to cover me themselves. And if a GA doesn't feel comfortable doing the role I'd never try to make them do it.

And Fair Play, thanks for the clarification. Like I said, the policy is clearly ambiguous enough that you're having to fight for this so much.

Welshie

So you shouldn't be getting the higher rate when you're just running the tills then ?? You should only be getting it when you're training staff or booking hols etc , let's be honest at least 50% of you're day is probably spent just running the tills , it's a very big and very important part of your job .

lucgeo

Thanks Fair play for confirming the timescale of one hour, as I was unsure.

@checkoutmonkey

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this subject, as for me, the policy has always been crystal, an hour or over, they get paid, I'm still struggling to find where the ambiguity lies, or how anyone can interpret it differently.

Anyway, as Fair play has confirmed all their store now get the payment, perhaps you can get a transfer to this amazing shangri la  ;)

checkoutmonkey

Very little of my day is spent "just running tills"

The majority of my day is spent running tills whilst also trying to get a ton of other stuff done - complete training, filling and inputting overtime, doing exceptions, running around the shop floor looking for staff, getting called into cash office to search for people's valuables, assisting with rumble, going to team 5 and getting a reprimand for not passing etc etc.

Agree to disagree I agree. I'm really not trying to say that I'm not with you that people should be paid for stepping up, as I've said on a multitude of occasions, just that as others on this thread have also said, it appears to me that running the line for an hour does not count as performing that job role. Of course some others have confirmed that it does count which I accept, although part of me personally also does kinda think that it doesn't really come close to being the same.

Hey ho, the fact is we are all Tesco staff, and they'll find a way to screw us all in the end one way or another, no point arguing over stuff like this ahaha

Penny

Could someone tell me whereabouts in safe and legal book you record not getting break?

taliahad

Well Penny, I'd put it in the back, where you write down all your customer non payments and drive offs etc.  It's not an issue for us in our PFS though, if we don't get our breaks, we just close the place. 

Penny

optout

@CheckoutMonkey
now that it has been clarified that there 'are' stores out there where the payment is made, are 'you' going to ensure that your staff are given the same payments?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

checkoutmonkey

In my current store there has yet to be a case where this would be applicable, as there has always been either another team support in or a manager who is able to cover the breaks. However if the situation arises I will make sure it is recorded properly and the correct payment is made.

Thanks for the clarification guys. It's good to hear that for once the policy is better than I expected.

optout

I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

miriam

Hiya
Don't know where to ask hopefully someone can answer me

My friends daughter started work today in dot com
Her induction training started at 9.30 til 3.00
Please how many breaks should she have had??
She's 16-17 starts college next week

She had none

NightAndDay

Legally below 18's are meant to have a 30 minute break every 4.5 hours, if she's had none then Tesco are breaking the law around working time regulations, get your daughter to write a strongly worded grievance about this. Also get her to take a photo of any grievances handed in, documentation and cctv footage conveniently going missing happens far too often at the Big T.

For more info https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/working-hours-and-young-workers#toc-2

lucgeo

Also they should be paid for the induction hours, and the wages clerk will automatically dock 30 mins as break, if not informed otherwise.
Did no one get a break? Bad management  :-X

miriam

Thanku
I knew that Is the case
I can always rely on a answer

MysteryTurkey

Quote from: lucgeo on 19-08-19, 12:25PM
Yes...they get the hourly grade payment for the amount of time they are covering, for 1 hour or more. It was all covered in the recent policies for upgrade of pay bands. This was mainly brought about when they increased some departmental pay bands. Also, due to CSD and tobacco becoming combined as both doing the same job, but different department codes and pay grade, which, understandably,  caused a great deal of resentment amongst those colleagues.

If you were constantly asked to cover a management role, would you expect to be paid the same rate?? Would you accept that, because you hadn't been asked to cover duty, that your cover wasn't worthy of the same pay rate??

Also, it's concerning that you appear to be a checkout team support, yet seem either unaware of this policy, or aren't prepared to authorise the correct payment with the wage clerk, as you don't agree with the policy?? Treading shaky ground there methinks :-X

I have been stepping up for a couple months now, constantly doing late shifts, handling cash office and giving colleagues let’s talks. The only things I don’t do are rotas, double scans or holidays. Anyway I can get paid the TS pay? I tried with the union however I haven’t been successful.  (Luego have you got discord?)

Cairney39

MysteryTurkey if you are running the shift in the place of a shift leader, either to cover the 1 hour lunch break or doing part of the shift because no other person trained to Shift Leader level is in the building, for every hour or part after 1hr you perform this role, you must be paid the Skills Payment attached to the job you are performing. Currently for a SL in express, that is £1.86 an hour. If you are not receiving this either as OT ( calculated in hours) or as Keyholder payment in your wageslip, speak to your manager and query it. If they fob you off, consider a formal process. It is an agreed payment to recognise the job that those covering the role of SL are entitled to

Skills Payment shows on wage slips as Relief Pay.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk